PDA

View Full Version : user stats differences

AlanSimpson
05-20-2003, 03:11 AM
hi,

how come for some users, their stats page indicates their neighbors' ranking to three places after the decimal (which is quite good now that I'm in the tera-cEM league :)), while for others (like my own) it only displays two places after the decimal.

Not that I'm competitive or anything (nooo, not me), but it is more helpful to see the extra decimal place, although I don't know what I'll do once I exceed 10 tera-cEM (come back here crying for four places after the decimal? :))

Can anything be done about this relatively unimportant request?

Alan

Lagardo
05-22-2003, 01:10 PM
Yeah -- I've asked about that before -- no reply. My very own stats sometimes have three and sometimes two digits behind the decimal and I have no ideay what the distinguishing criterion is.

Then again, the way the stats are kept here'round is majorly borked anyways. If I shut down my box from 8 to 10 and then bring it back up I expect to see zero production for two hours and then full power again.

It's these things (the client crashes by design and cannot be shut down cleanly, the "forum is currently under construction" for a year now, there's no FAQ, the stats have all kinds of random bugs etc etc) that make this project seem rather amateurish. I can see these things in the first three or six months of a project, but 17OB is beyond that stage now.

In simple terms, 17-or-bust will not attract significantly more CPU power until it is in a state where it can be used by people whith less-than-expert proficiency around computers. There are many, many, MANY computers out there that will never be part of 17-o-B because they cannot be converted to a client that comes without even a README file, needs frequent and regular babysittng, hangs the computer it runs on, is close to impossible to track through the stats and so forth...

wblipp
05-22-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by AlanSimpson
how come for some users, their stats page indicates their neighbors' ranking to three places after the decimal

SInce nobody that knows is answering, it's time for those of that don't know to offer guesses. I've seen computer programs with print functions that delete trailing zeroes. For example, the numbers 0.88, 0.89, 0.90, 0.91 would be written 0.88, 0.89, 0.9, 0.91. Worse yet, 0.99998, 0.99999, 1.00000, 1.00001 would come out 0.99998, 0.99999, 1, 1.00001. Could this be the cause the variable number of digits?

eatmadustch
05-22-2003, 03:27 PM
nice idea, but I dont think so! I have seen on several examples where the sob stats end with a 0 after the decimal point. Just look at the main users stats page (www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/users) and you'll see several examples!

I'm out of guesses now too, btw!

eatmadustch
05-22-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Lagardo
It's these things (the client crashes by design and cannot be shut down cleanly, the "forum is currently under construction" for a year now, there's no FAQ, the stats have all kinds of random bugs etc etc) that make this project seem rather amateurish. I can see these things in the first three or six months of a project, but 17OB is beyond that stage now.

Yeah, I agree that sob has several "flaws". Another one is that the sob founders don't answer all the questions directed at them in the forum (like this one) ... however sob is still the best dc project :p even though the stats are flawed and the client isn't perfect, it's still the only dc project, that
is doing something sensible (not like trying to factor a large number)
is going to find something in the near future (that leaves out seti@home, theneoproject, operationprojectX and good old d.net)
has something to do with maths or physics (sorry, those are my interests) (that leaves out all the biochemical ones (folding, genome, fightAIDS ...)
is something I understand (that leaves out Zetagrid)

Also, even though the stats aren't perfect they're also the best!

Don't get me wrong louie, I'm not trying to finish you off, just merely "constructive criticism" :)
as I said: sob still is the best! I have no plans of changing to another dc project unless the tests get so unbearably long that they take weaks or so. I guess I'd change to Zetagrid then, they also have a stats breakdown with team/user/computer, I think that was whished for a lot on this forum too!