PDA

View Full Version : Speed runs

magnav0x
06-18-2003, 01:04 PM
I was wondering how everyone else was making along with the Phase II protiens. As I mentioned before my P4 1.6 was just about doubling the output of my Athalon XP 1800. Also I saw this on the anandtech forums:

My two boxes at home P3 600 and XP2600+

The PIII is damn near done with the first protein while the AMD is only half way.

GHOST
06-18-2003, 02:16 PM
I have a p4 1.6, an xp2500, and an xp2400. I had the 1.6 and 2400 on linux this morning. My 1.6 was running real slow with linux. System monitor showed it was using 85mb ram but it was only using about 45% CPU.I tried adjusting the priority but it had no noticable affect My windows machine was using about 85% cpu. [last phase would use 98%].

Not very scientific- no benchmark but I could tell just by looking at it that my amds were smoking my p4. I have now switched them all to windows xp. Now that they are all on windows I will get some benchmarks with dfgui. Never could get dfgui going on linux. Linux was the faster os on the last phase.

xp2500 windows xp avg generation time 25:48 p/hr 320 p/day 7680 but it fluctuates a lot.

One thing I noticed. I run the text client. If I open that window and then minimize the window, the memory usage drops drastically and does not come back up. On the last phase memory usage would work its way back up a little while after minimizing window. Now when I start client I minimize window during the five second period it has before it starts working. Maybe if I install client as a service memory usage will stay stable.

rshepard
06-18-2003, 02:27 PM
My 1.6 was running real slow with linux. System monitor showed it was using 85mb ram but it was only using about 45% CPU.I tried adjusting the priority but it had no noticable affect .

Were you running the terminal window with the ASCII display on? I noticed the same thing on my Linux box this morning; but then I saw that the terminal was using something like 17% of the CPU. I added the -qt flag and restarted the client and it seems much better. :bang:

GHOST
06-18-2003, 03:15 PM
Yes I did have the display on and terminal was using a lot of cpu. Phase one I used the qt flag. Still seemed to be missing some % points somewhere though.

GHOST
06-19-2003, 12:00 AM
Added switch -qt - big difference in both linux and windows. Now I can sleep easier.