PDA

View Full Version : Bring Out Yer Switches!!!

Chinasaur
06-18-2003, 10:23 PM
<MontyPython>Bring out yer swtiches!!! Bring out yer swtiches!!!</MontyPython>

Ok...what are the best switches for speed, memory, etc.? Unless they haven't changed? :Pokes:

PM me if you want to keep it secret...which it won't be for long..but...

One thing I'm seeing..this sucker pegs out at 99.9% with no nice needed. Much better processor utilization (seemingly) than the last one. This one eats cycles like the dnet client.

"It's a good thing!!"

:cheers:

cygnussphere
06-18-2003, 10:42 PM
Waahhhh

Fired up the DF boxen:thumbs:

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

:cheers:

IronBits
06-18-2003, 11:01 PM
w00t! :cheers:

-rt is the one you're most likely to want to use ;)
:banana:

Welnic
06-18-2003, 11:07 PM
Most of the switches are the same. The most important -rt, still basically doubles the output. The -df switch is now obsolete, but it is ignored. The -s #### switch is also obsolete, but it is not ignored so it must not be used. I usually run with the -it switch because it makes changing to no net conditions easier to remember how to do.

The main switch that has changed is -g. I used to run this at -g 100 just to keep disk access down, but if you do that with the current setup your progress.txt file only gets updated when you start back up after you quit or on structure 1 of each generation. The update on structure 1 kind of sucks because it never has any info on how the RMS value is doing. Because of this I have quit using this flag and just let it run at the default value of 5.

The fun new flag is -bench, which benchmarks your computer. If you are running windows then you have to enter .\foldtrajlite -bench.

Angus
06-18-2003, 11:07 PM
:smoking: GAWD, I love the smell of hot silicon :hifi:

Welcome to the party, Chinasaur, et al :cheers:

magnav0x
06-18-2003, 11:08 PM
don't ask me, lol my Athalon XP 1800 with 512 DDR ram with -rt switch is only doing like 24 structures per out. Then again that's with CB running with 64mb ram and of course, MS SQL Server, MySQL server, IIS webserver, amongst other things. The CB sql server gets a lot of queries so that could definately be to blame.

djp
06-19-2003, 08:37 AM
Take a look at the Task Manager to see your memory usage.

If your MEM Usage (big box) is constantly higher than the machine's physical memory, then you are spending much of your CPU's effort on VM page swapping. In this case, you should actually (in theory) see better performance by taking off the -rt switch so that less time is wasted in swapping memory pages! Of course with all of those tasks running on a machine with little RAM, you're probably already page-faulting out the wazoo.

For that matter, if (for example) you've only got 256M of RAM on a dual-processor PC and you like to run two instances of the DF client (at 150M each with -rt or 25M without), you should (in theory again) get better performance if you only set one of the two instances to -rt. I know that before I made this change to my little dualie, I couldn't get my CPU usage above 92%, but now I'm running at 100%.

In summary, turning off the -rt switch on a machine with severe memory limitations may actually improve your folding performance by reducing the number of page faults.

magnav0x
06-19-2003, 09:03 AM
Yeah good theory and advice, but I have 512 mb of ram and still have about 200 left even with df running with -rt switch.

djp
06-20-2003, 08:23 AM
I misread your posting. I thought you said that you had only 64MB RAM installed. What's CB?

I suppose you could also just be one of the lucky ones whose client is spending a lot of time in tight spots.