PDA

View Full Version : X or not to X

MTP
03-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Planning to install a version of Mandrake on my new box for G@H.
Curious to know if it would be faster to crunch G@H from the pure command line vs running a command line window from inside 'X'.

Anyone try this?

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 02:58 PM
um, i haven't tried it becuase i'm 99% sure if you are only going to run DC, you are better off with X, especially since you don't need it

i just setup several linux pc for dc only, just console
i used www.e-smith.org because it comes preconfigured, you just tell it what ip to use and a password , boxen name, just a quick little menu thingy and it reboots and its ready
login, make a directory for dc (i usually call mine "dc" :D ) ftp to the download site of your favorite DC program, pull it down, do the tar thing, then run it, easy cheesy :)

(this assumes you have a home LAN with DHCP server and gateway, etc already setup)

MTP
03-01-2002, 03:05 PM
you are better off with X, especially since you don't need it

huh?
I'm better off using it because I don't need it?? what the hell does that mean.

Another curious note is why are you the only one who seems to answer my G@H questions?

I'm thinking of maybe trying gentoo linux, just for the hell of it. No I dont have a DHCP at home. Hell I even stopped using my hub and removed my nics from the machines. I only have 3 running most ever is 4. I keep running into a fwe problems on the win2k machine when it was sharing the modem to the other computers, plus I never really figured out how to share the modem on the win2k machine to the linux box so I just gave up and went mulitple modem.

Maybe I'll try again later.

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by MTP

huh?
I'm better off using it because I don't need it?? what the hell does that mean.

that means i typed too fast and didn't proof read my post and this board only lets you edit for a short time after you post

my bad :o

i of course meant "without" the missing "out" being somewhat important to the meaning i was intending ;)

X would just be overhead , ie cycles making pretty GUI instead of crunching DC :)

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by MTP

I'm thinking of maybe trying gentoo linux, just for the hell of it.

if you do, i know a rabid gentoo lover, just post something about gentoo on www.linuxnewbie.org and you'll draw him out, his screen is tminos

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by MTP

Another curious note is why are you the only one who seems to answer my G@H questions?

i don't know maybe everybody else is dead

or they don't like you ;) j/k :D

Smiling Carnivore
03-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Sorry, don't mean to make you feel snubbed MTP.

I personally use slackware on my 4 linux boxes that share a modem with my main Win2k Server box. All of them are just using the CLI. I haven't bothered to check to see how much overhead there is using X, but like FoBot said, if it is a box that is dedicated to DC, any cycle not dedicated to crunching is wasted.

FoBoT
03-01-2002, 04:54 PM
you can use your linux/DC cruncher box to share your connection , instead of the w2k pc

that linux distro i refered to above, which is actually now called "SME Server" (e-smith was bought out by Mitel Networks) is an easy way to share either a modem or dsl/cable
it includes a dhcp server and you can crunch DC on it too ;)

MTP
03-01-2002, 04:56 PM
Thats what I thought about 'X' it would use cycles to generate that could used better crunching, but then with your first reply I started thinking maybe there was a memory control issue that 'X' would help with.

Yeah, I'm downloading the iso for Gentoo right now while I'm at work. I may slap it on the BP6 to just see how it looks since my new board doesn't get here until next week.

Thanks for the tip I'll look him up and e-mail him if I run into a glich.

dnar
03-01-2002, 07:04 PM
I tested genome@home running on Linux running at a console and under XFree86 4.0.3 with Gnome 1.2 and Sawfish. The results were:-

No difference, so long as the machine was not being used for anything else. In other words, no CPU cycles lost to running X-window.

I also tested performance of the client with a standards kernel and a stripped down kernel, again no diff. (2.2.19 kernel tested).