PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux to use for a "greener"

MTP
03-03-2002, 04:22 PM
I consider myself to be green when it comes to linux but mainly because there seems to be allot of "unwritten" rules and commands that seem to change per distro.

I want opinions from everyone on which linux or unix for that matter that meets these qualities Somewhat easy to install or comes with good documentation to assist in install Easy to upgrade the kernel and packages (I tried to rpm the kernel and that didn't go so well)

I've been running Mandrake8.0 for almost a year off and on now. I now how to install the Nvidia drivers using the command line (not rpm) and I'm not afraid to use the command line when I know what the commands are.

I'm still using the 2.4.3 kernel only because I don't understand how to upgrade it. I dont know how to really upgrade Xfree, Gnome or any of those packages because all the sites you get this from seem to already expect to know how to completely handle linux.

So is there a distro that is easy to upgrade? I don't mind stiking with Mandrake8 only because I'm more familiar with it if someone can point me in the right direction on how to upgrade it.

IronBits
03-03-2002, 04:40 PM
It truly makes no difference. Stick with Mandrake, you can't really go wrong and you already have time invested in that version.
It's not the distro that you are learning, it's the all powerfull UNIX underneath the hood that all distros share.
Once you learn one really well, it's basically the same everywhere you go, only the 'commands' name have been changed to make them different and unique from each other.
That's my 'basics, down-to-earth' recommendation.
I have used many versions of UNIX. Had 8 of them memorized, then came along these *nix distros... :D

MTP
03-04-2002, 11:40 AM
I was thinking the same thing, so can anyone point me in the right direction to figure out how to upgrade my kernel, gnome, XFree86?

Dyyryath
03-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Hmmm, I'm thinking Mandrake 8.0 had 'Mandrake Update'. If so, it should here:

Configuration->Packaging->Mandrake Update

If it's not there, let us know and we'll do it the hard(er) way. ;)