PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix

rsbriggs
07-04-2003, 10:41 AM
What a riot. I've got a machine running that only has a CD drive in it. Just getting DF started on it - had some trouble figuring out how to get it to mount any of my windows shares.

Some command line things I had to use:

boot: fb1024x768 lang=us

won't automatically scan my network, but using linNeighborhood and specifying the machine name, got it to mount a share on Windoze. Came up and made a DHCP request, got assigned an IP.

Going to pop a 64 meg USB memory key in the machine and see if it recognizes it.

This is a really cool thing..... :D

rsbriggs
07-04-2003, 10:58 AM
GRRRR. When I try to start DF, I get the error "can't find libncurses.so.4"

libncurses.so.5 is out there in /lib Of course, since it's running off a CD, the file system is RO - I can't just make a symbolic link. Suggestions?

IronBits
07-04-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by rsbriggs
GRRRR. When I try to start DF, I get the error "can't find libncurses.so.4"

libncurses.so.5 is out there in /lib Of course, since it's running off a CD, the file system is RO - I can't just make a symbolic link. Suggestions? ln libncurses.so.4 libncurses.so.5
:thumbs: on your project! :smoking:
DOH, just read that part about RO :(

Darkness Productions
07-04-2003, 11:10 AM
rsbriggs:

The filesystem isn't really mounted RO, since it's all in RAM. You should be able to make the symlink without a problem....

rsbriggs
07-04-2003, 11:35 AM
Only parts of it seem to actually be in ram, and everything, except for my little USB key is mounted RO.

My first thought was to copy libncurses.so.5 to my local USB drive, then rename it to libncurses.so.4. Good idea, but I can't vi /etc/lib.so.conf to add ./ to the shared search path, since it's RO...

GRRRRR.... Have to do some more research I guess...
EDIT:

Research. There are only two pieces of the file system that are in RAM.

/var is linked to /ramdisk/var and
/home is linked to /ramdisk/home

everything else is mounted off the CD.

IronBits
07-04-2003, 11:48 AM
Put a copy of it where the client is!
Maybe it will look in the 'current' directory for it first before looking in /lib ;)

rsbriggs
07-04-2003, 11:52 AM
Pretty close, but needed a couple more steps:

cp /lib/libncurses.so.5 ./libncurses.so.4
chmod a+x libncurses.so.4
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:/.

./foldit

"You must turn OFF quiet mode the first time you run the program....."

:cheers: :cheers:

bwkaz
07-04-2003, 01:14 PM
Aww.. you figured out LD_LIBRARY_PATH before I could say anything about it!

:p

I assume you have the Linux client downloaded to the Windows share that it's mounting, right?

rsbriggs
07-04-2003, 03:16 PM
No, actually I have the DF linux client installed on a 64 MB USB drive that I got free with the last Dell computer I bought. Knoppix auto-mounts it, just like it was a really big floppy....

It's really quite an odd way to run - nothing in this box except a spare CD drive, and a USB plug in flash ram drive. Kind of fun though....

Can't get any of the windows shares to mount correctly - or rather, I can get shares to mount, but don't have permission to read anything inside the mounted directories. Haven't fiddled with it - DF is running pretty well as is....

Welnic
07-05-2003, 02:40 PM
I had never had any problem running the client on linux until the phase II beta. Then I had to add a link for libncurses.so.4. But that was because there was only one version of the linux client and I had always run the other one. So I know at least one of the versions, gcc or Intel, did not used to need libncurses.so.4.