PDA

View Full Version : Changeover Coming!

Paratima
07-18-2003, 06:35 PM
- We will be releasing a software update on Tuesday, July 22, 2:00 PM EST. This fixes some of the bugs that have been reported.

This just posted on the DF site.

Oh, I'm back.

Oh, you hadn't missed me.

Oh. Well. Good to be back anyway. :p

IronBits
07-18-2003, 07:23 PM
About damn time, I was starting to worry!!! :swear:
:cheers:

Jammy
07-18-2003, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the heads up Paratima!

Jammy :thumbs:

Paratima
07-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
About damn time, I was starting to worry!!! :swear:
:cheers: About me? or the changeover? :jester:

Well, no need to bother everyone with the particulars, but I had a wee bit of an operation on my back. It's all behind me now. I'm just moving a bit slower than before. I'll try to get my pharm back up to speed, though.

WOW! IB is tearin' 'em up! We're still Numero Uno! Wouldja look at Beth133! And MagicFan241 and Jammy and a mess of others have joined the good fight! All riiiiiiight!

All my borged boxen went to pieces while I was out. Most of the homies are OK, just a couple out with blown HDDs & the like. Guess I can start right here!

Sure hope Howard & Co. have really got it fixed up this time. I just know those memory problems were what took out my borgies.

IronBits
07-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Heh, you KNOW what I meant ;) :)
The windows client is fixed right now, guess everyone else running a different OS will have to wait until next tuesday.
That's when Dyyryath is gonna fire up 500 boxen :scared:
and 'show me how it's 'done' :moon: :D

Thor
07-19-2003, 07:07 AM
DId I read that right?!? 500 boxen?!?:shocked: :scared: :shocked: :scared:

seems like he is planning to bring on some serious :dump: :dump: :dump: :dump: power!
Does he plan to solve the folding problem all by himself? whats left for us? shal I :trash: my computer?

No just joking! that 'll be some serious firing power:thumbs: good job:thumbs:

Greets Thor

(still stunned by 500 boxen):crazy:

Paratima
07-19-2003, 07:47 AM
THAT will be worth getting permission to stay up late just to watch! ;)

magicfan241
07-19-2003, 10:09 AM
500 computers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy S***!!!

It may be, that if I sweet talk him enough, he'll put one under my name....

Moogie
07-19-2003, 11:16 AM
Good to see you back Paratima. You were missed! :)

Hope your back gets up to speed really soon. I'm not sure there is such a thing as a "wee bit of an operation on one's back" though.

I'll look forward to seeing your ramp up. The latest change has really helped me, but I run all of mine on Win2K.

At the moment, I've reached #20 but no telling how long that will last. :)

Dyyryath
07-19-2003, 11:44 AM
LOL @ IB. :rotfl:

I'm fairly sure that I've never committed to bringing 500 boxes to any DC party. :D

In fact, I've probably only got about 400 or so at my disposal. Of those, there are quite a few that I just wouldn't load a DC client on. However, I probably will bring some systems online once I'm satisfied that the clients can't cause me *any* problems on them.

I suspect IB's delusions of grandeur have gotten the better of him...he really thinks that it'll take 500 boxes to teach him a thing or two, when in reality...well, let's just say it won't take that many. ;) :D

IronBits
07-19-2003, 12:39 PM
:rotfl: Well... without proper training, and seeing that the "Minister of Propaganda" and "Breaker of Rule #1" are out on sabbatical...
I'm doing the best I can... :jester:
:moon: :D

magicfan241
07-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Youmean that IB's doing a JOB!!! :shocked:

/faints

:cheers: Good Job!

Moogie
07-19-2003, 02:03 PM
Looks like it's gonna be an auto update: http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3629

Paratima
07-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Hope it works this time, but I suspect that those of us who have been around the block a few times will be keeping a close eye on things. :cool:

/me crosses fingers

Moogie
07-19-2003, 09:19 PM
Paratima..digits crossed. By the way..that was posted tongue in cheek. :)

Jammy
07-22-2003, 03:27 PM
They must be doing that changeover now because the official stats page is down! :( I need my stats and the official stats are usually more up-to-date than Dy's (no offense).

Jammy

Jammy
07-22-2003, 04:33 PM
When I just tried firing up my client to automatically update I got this error message:

Checking for newer versions...
SERVER DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE, TRY AGAIN LATER

Please try again later. Press Enter

Hmm . . .what use is it to manually download the newest client if the server still isn't up?

AND . . .that link gives the same message:

Distributed Folding Project
Server temporarily down for maintenance. Thanks for your patience.

Jammy

A new version of the Distributed Folding Project Client (Protein v127) will be available
for download at http://www.distributedfolding.org/ shortly. Normally
if you are connected to the internet the "auto-update"
feature will download and install the update for you.
If you have machine(s) which are not online, you may need to manually
download and install the update

This is an automatically generated e-mail, so you cannot reply to it. If you wish to
stop receiving these e-mails, login at http://www.distributedfolding.org/login.html
and change your preferences (uncheck 'e-mail me').

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 05:13 PM
Jammy,

1) Checking for newer versions...SERVER DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE, TRY AGAIN LATER

It says this on a changeover now.

2) Distributed Folding Project. Server temporarily down for maintenance.

It always says this too.

3) Hmm . . .what use is it to manually download the newest client if the server still isn't up?

The email notices are for less active/clued-in users who either didn't enable Auto-Update, or don't check their boxes like we do. It's redundant as you already knew the update was coming.

4) Thanks for your patience.

Have some...it will be back up soon ;) Trust me..

pfb
07-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Chinasaur
The email notices are for less active/clued-in users who either didn't enable Auto-Update, or don't check their boxes like we do. It's redundant as you already knew the update was coming.

...or those who are bit interested (read: nosey) about what protein is coming up :crazy:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 05:25 PM
pfb & jammy,

NO arrogance intended and I wasn't trying to be condescending ... nobody I know reads them. I always trash them.

Jammy
07-22-2003, 05:36 PM
None taken! But after a fe of the problems with this new client I think that I am gonna wait to run the df client for awhile:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3629

pfb & jammy,

NO arrogance intended and I wasn't trying to be condescending ... nobody I know reads them. I always trash them.

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 05:53 PM
hey,

don't stop! I just looked at mine and they too needed to be stopped and resterted..no big deal :) Might have to do it twice...but after that..fine :) The DF site may not be up yet but it's downloading the update and accepting old work just fine :D

We need your boxes working on DF :Pokes: Sides, how else you going to keep me from passing you :spray: Look in your handy dandy rearview Threat-o-meter ... :lmao:

Jammy
07-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Better yet Chinasaur . . .I have Spongebob here assisting me.

Jammy

http://members.arstechnica.com/subscriptors/x/jamilla/image7sm.jpg

We need your boxes working on DF :Pokes: Sides, how else you going to keep me from passing you :spray: Look in your handy dandy rearview Threat-o-meter ... :lmao:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 06:25 PM
Jammy,

SpongeBob cannot save you from the additional 2.8Ghz I'll have online by Saturday.

I sure hope you don't drive a Diesel the day I pass you..I don't want to have to smell it...and make sure your socks are clean :)

Jammy
07-22-2003, 06:49 PM
:swear: Grrrr . . .what . . ."my" socks smell?? NEVER! And if I do have a Diesal you will never smell it, lol . . .don't you know that my diesals run off of natural gas which is odorless????

Jammy

I sure hope you don't drive a Diesel the day I pass you..I don't want to have to smell it...and make sure your socks are clean :)

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 06:53 PM
jammy,

I don't think a public forum like this is the place to be discussing your "natural gas" ermm..uh...yeah..not here :fart: :looney:

At any rate, you are toast :banana:

Jammy
07-22-2003, 06:57 PM
Hey . . .why not discuss natural gas here? It is used to power many of our buses here in San Diego, also it fuels ALL gas ranges!

Jammy

On the subject of toast: Give me my toast with orange marmalade please!

jammy,

I don't think a public forum like this is the place to be discussing your "natural gas" ermm..uh...yeah..not here :fart: :looney:

At any rate, you are toast :banana:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 08:51 PM
I can pass you with the firepower I have..but I have an 800Mhz upgrade coming tomm for my Macintosh..that's the nail in your virtual coffin..

When I pass you I'll wave nicely and throw you a stale Ham Sandwich so you will have something to eat while you watch me pull away....

Jammy
07-22-2003, 09:18 PM
Sorry . . .pork is a religious taboo and not to my liking. And talking about taboo's against pork . . .did ya know that they "factually" have nothing to do with religion but their basis is not cultural but caused because of climate changes and population drift.

Jammy

long-time friend and colleague of Dr. Daniel Jackson and protégé of Dr. Marvin Harris

I can pass you with the firepower I have..but I have an 800Mhz upgrade coming tomm for my Macintosh..that's the nail in your virtual coffin..

When I pass you I'll wave nicely and throw you a stale Ham Sandwich so you will have something to eat while you watch me pull away....

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 09:36 PM
That's nice...you're still going to get passed.

IronBits
07-22-2003, 09:59 PM
:|ot|: :rotfl: