PDA

View Full Version : New Client SUCKS

IronBits
07-22-2003, 06:55 PM
I'm pissed :swear: We went from bad, to so so ok, to worse.
My whole pharmage is DOWN.
Next project?
/me throws hands up in the air and walks away disgusted, tired of fighting a piss-poor-excuse :bang:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 07:00 PM
/me hands IB a beer from his own fridge, slaps him hard and screams...

"You can't leave!!! All the plants will die!!!!"

Besides, think of all the Ars newbies who will bail after having this new client bork on them :jester:

IronBits
07-22-2003, 07:27 PM
I'm not even gonna go look at all the boxen tonight. IF any survived, so be it.
I just put the 8 xp2600s I have here right next to me on dnet OGR. The rest can fend for themselves until...
/me can't think straight :bang: :bang: :bang: :swear: :bang:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 07:31 PM
/me hands IB two Vicodin and a glass of water....

IronBits
07-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Well, according to the STATS, some of my boxen survived :)
That's something I guess...
/me keeps thinking :bang: :bang:

PCZ
07-22-2003, 07:50 PM
What a nightmare !!

I have got most of the PC's working again at home.
The ones at work can wait until tommorow.

The update Sucks!! It is going to take days just to do gen 0
something is very broken.

I can sense a new DC project in my future.

Brian

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 07:59 PM
man this bites..was reading some posts in the DF section.

We need your output. Or we need a lot of Arsians to drop DF..

magnav0x
07-22-2003, 08:02 PM
My boxes did the same thing, the update totaly crapped out. I downloaded it from the site and installed it and couldn't get past the first structure of gen 0 without restarting the client about 5 times.

GHOST
07-22-2003, 08:07 PM
Yes i did have to fiddle with my couple of boxes, having ten times as much work to do as me must be aggravating.

I came to DF to help the science. The Stats are just a motivator. I believe good things will come from this beginning work in this field.

The only job you start at the top is digging a well.

And as Moogie says, 'Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
Thomas A. Edison (1847 - 1931)

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 08:13 PM
IB ain't going anywhere..he's just venting... :dump:

As for crunching...switch yer boxes to Linux..this thing is hauling ASS!! No shiznit. We can make some serious numbers on Linux boxes while most people run Windoze and crawl thru Gen 0

IronBits
07-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Most everyone appears to be caught up in the same trick bag, let's see what tomorrow brings...
It had better be a great client :spank:

cygnussphere
07-22-2003, 08:20 PM
My mantra for up dates has been delete and reinstall. I wasn't even going there this time. I just d/l'ed the new client asap and removed all services and reinstalled and fired them up. I feel for those with large pharmage.:trash:

Deep breath everyone. Go to your happy place:thumbs:

Come back and start again tomorrow :D

:cheers:

Dyyryath
07-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Chinasaur's right, this is definately a setback, but it's likely going to hurt Ars a whole lot more than us! :thumbs:

This is the kind of thing that serious, dedicated crunchers have learned to deal with. It will not, however, please the majority of Ars Technica's 100 or so new members. Some will become hard core, no doubt, but the rest may very well decide it's just not worth the effort.

Having said that, I have to say, I'm disappointed for the project as a whole. All the new members that Ars brought in would have really helped the project. I also feel bad for TSF. They had a great front page post, they were seeing a HUGE increase in membership, and they were just about to begin creeping up on us. This is extremely poor timing for them. :(

However...all's fair in love and war...and while I love Ars Technica & her various teams, this is definately a war! :D :D

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Who beta tested the update ?
I'll take a guess that it was a bearded, sandal wearing, Unix Nerd

Hey!! Watch it!! :mad: :lmao:

Paratima
07-22-2003, 08:40 PM
That's no way to talk about our buddy Howard!

Oh......ah......oops.

magnav0x
07-22-2003, 08:42 PM
My P4 is crunching along about 4 times faster than the Athalon XP. Odd

IronBits
07-22-2003, 08:45 PM
Well, I just completed an experiment -
I deleted everything except
dfGUI.exe, dfGUI.ini, autoupdate.cfg, and handle.txt
I extracted the new downloaded client in there and fired up dfGUI.
shiznits! It took off !

1 down, 30+ more to go :bang:
/me runs off to try on another box, prepares to unleash mighty install script ;)

IronBits
07-22-2003, 08:52 PM
The 'trick' worked for Windows XP ! Hot damn :elephant:
/me goes off to prepare major fresh install script :bang:

Delete it all, start NEW and FRESH!
Report back here! :cheers:

Chinasaur
07-22-2003, 08:54 PM
I don't get it ... you saying that makes it run where it wasn't before? Or that it fixes the Windoze slow thingy?

Dyyryath
07-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah, keep on eye on them and let's see if that does it. I've noticed that my Linux clients all seem to have updated normally. They're all ticking along without a hitch. :thumbs:

I'll do my four Windows boxes now....

pfb
07-22-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by IronBits
The 'trick' worked for Windows XP ! Hot damn :elephant:
/me goes off to prepare major fresh install script :bang:

Delete it all, start NEW and FRESH!
Report back here! :cheers:

hmm...just tried this and instead of 2 days to do gen 0 (according to dfGUI), it now says 9 hours (should be 1.5 hours)...an improvement I suppose...:jester:

Paratima
07-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Yah, same results as pfb.

AMD 2100XP with Windoze2000.

You musta hit the lucky combo, IB.

Edit: 7 minutes to do the first 8 structures!

Maybe it's a momentum thingie. :rolleyes:

IronBits
07-22-2003, 09:19 PM
OK, the 'trick' works on 11 boxen so far.
I never said anything about FASTER or SLOWER -
it just WORKS and the client IS running. :D
IF my winders boxen is SLOW, then so are everyone elses ;)

Paratima
07-22-2003, 09:28 PM
Oh.

PCZ
07-22-2003, 09:40 PM
One of my Dualies wont work with the update at all.

I get an assertion failure. A Visual C++ Debug screen pops up.
I tried a clean install.

rshepard
07-22-2003, 09:52 PM
All 4 of my Win2K duallies at work stopped dead-- I killed the foldtrajlite.exe processes (one box had 4 instances ???) and dfGUI and restarted them-- 2 caught the update cleanly, 2 refused to start until I had downloaded the update and overwritten the existing files.
*sigh*
hang in there people, looks like a bumpy ride :thumbs:

IronBits
07-22-2003, 09:58 PM
31 procs back to pharmage again :thumbs:
Now to go off and find the straglers that didn't get updated, could take awhile :bang:
I'll follow up on the Duals in a little bit to see if they are still crankin...
All AMD stuff folks :)

magnav0x
07-22-2003, 09:59 PM
I get quite a few fatal exception errors on foldtrajlite.exe now :(

IronBits
07-22-2003, 10:18 PM
Please be specfic folks...
AMD / Intel / Duals
Fresh install or not?
AMD Duals are still crankin fine so far with fresh install. ;)

rshepard
07-22-2003, 10:34 PM
One odd thing with my Linux box here at home:
It's a little 800MhZ box with only 128 meg of RAM-- with the old client, I got away with running the -rt switch; it got the client some extra RAM to play with,and was fine as long as I wasn't doing anything else :p
But it doesn't like that setup with the new client-- runs for a bit and then shuts down- its fine (so far ) w/o the r/t flag though.

Slightly OT, I guess, but I thought it interesting

IronBits
07-22-2003, 10:37 PM
This one appears to need 92+ MEG to run...

PCZ
07-22-2003, 10:37 PM
IronBits

What do you mean by fine? How fast are your xp2600's doing gen 0 ?
Most of my PC's are working but they are so slow it is just a waste of electricity.
I have tried clean installs but they are still very very slow.

It looks like I won't score any points for about 24 hrs.

All my PC's are affected P3's P4's XP's Dual Athlons Xeons.

Until this is sorted out the stats should be frozen.

IronBits
07-22-2003, 11:02 PM
Fine as in, they are running now.
I do not know what to expect from this new client, nor his new algo...
We are all in the same boat, just keep chugging along with the rest of us and see what comes tomorrow from Howard. :)

Anarchy99
07-22-2003, 11:05 PM
both of the AMD duallies running XP had to have clean installs before they would go, but the other boxes are ok and took the update just fine:)

IronBits
07-22-2003, 11:07 PM
As an aside - I noticed this on the official stats page
Total registered participants: 22500
Active users (working on current protein): 95
Total work done so far: 309,302

rsbriggs
07-22-2003, 11:14 PM
Looks like the new algorythm is a little slow in gen 0. My 2.6 Ghz processor is chugging away in gen 0 and reporting that it's completing 243 per hour, with 14+ hours projected to completion...

Had some problems with the updates. As was mentioned - it has been a pretty bumpy ride. Not certain I have it all sorted out on everything yet....

magnav0x
07-22-2003, 11:23 PM
XP 2100 is cranking in 331 and hour
P4 1.6 is cranking in 499 an hour

IronBits
07-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Well... I got a BIG FAT ZERO for this past stats update,
so that means all my boxen must be running the new client ...
That's a plus right? :cry:
I guess the *nix folks are gonna have to carry the ball this time :thumbs:
I LOVE team work :D

DocWardo
07-23-2003, 12:08 AM
I've gotten 0's on the last 3 updates. but I have at least three boxen that are running the new client (confirmed) so something else is going on with the stats as well. either that or this client is so slow that my XP1700 isn't turning over in 3 hours

Dyyryath
07-23-2003, 12:12 AM
I suspect that my Linux boxes are working slowly, too. My fleet is all Linux (except for 3 game boxes running Windows). I shouldn't be seeing nearly the hit to my production that I am. Looks like all the clients are slower...

BuddhaMan
07-23-2003, 12:58 AM
Having said that, I have to say, I'm disappointed for the project as a whole. All the new members that Ars brought in would have really helped the project. I also feel bad for TSF. They had a great front page post, they were seeing a HUGE increase in membership, and they were just about to begin creeping up on us. This is extremely poor timing for them

Wow...It's as if you're talking right to me. Stop reading my thoughts and get outta my head. :D

I'm used to the kick-ass client produced by Distributed Net in cracking RC5-64...not this crap. The current client only runs kinda on my two Athlon TBird rigs. The dual Celery and the P3 craptop both have the client die within a minute of it starting and dfGUI won't restart the service.

On the last client my craptop restarted the program over 250 times in a little over a day.

/me starts to check out the F@H client for stability....

GHOST
07-23-2003, 01:10 AM
On the last client my craptop restarted the program over 250 times in a little over a day.

I had that problem until I deselected the restart client box in dfgui.:)

pointwood
07-23-2003, 02:29 AM
This is certainly not the usual Howard style :cry:

Thor
07-23-2003, 05:16 AM
same thing here....
249 structures/hour on an Athlon 1800....

Luckily i could upload the 52 buffered generations although the auto update worked.

This new version seems like an reason to get to know Linux......

Greets thor

rsbriggs
07-23-2003, 06:51 AM
It's not any faster under Linux. It seems more like a reason to get to know some other project.......

Ponky
07-23-2003, 07:03 AM
I'm running Linux and it seems to be ok. According to my error.log file the client was started approx. 10 and half hours ago and it's now up to generation 55 (P4 2.53@2.7 or so). This is neither faster or slower than pre-update.

According to the change-log in the Official DF Forum the client now includes "energy minimisation" at the end of each generation. It seems to sit on the 50th structure for a couple of minutes before moving on to the next generation. This, I assume, is the "energy minimisation".

From my vantage it seems to be chugging along quite nicely.

Simon.

Dyyryath
07-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Now that I've had a few updates to watch them, I think Ponky's right: my Linux boxes are now steadily turning out work. My output looks about right if you drop the three XP2400s that run the Windows client. :thumbs:

Richard Clyne
07-23-2003, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by Thor
This new version seems like an reason to get to know Linux......

Okay for some. I am in the unfortunate position of not being able to shift any of my PCs over to linux.:cry:

Will this DC project ever get their problems sorted out. It seems that every new update brings a new set of problems, and of course the continuing saga of the dreaded "autoupdate".

Maybe it's time to give this project a miss, and go take part in a project that does not run up such high childminding fees.:fart:

After finding most his clients had failed to update (RIP) last night I think IronBits managed to empty his fridge all by himself (why can you never find a "pissed" smillie when you need one :) ).

We are currently looking for volunteers to re-stock the fridge. Might need some FPP on Ars to get enough beer to fill that fridge :)

"Live long, and prosper" - you certainly will need to live long to see generation 0 completed, and prosper, so to fund the purchase of the latest CPUs - cause thats the only way your going to see the like of yesterday's production figures :D

afriend
07-23-2003, 07:29 AM
If there is in fact a Microsoft tax on this client, then I am afraid I will not be running it. Something inside just refuses to be penalized (discriminated?) for running one operating system over another. Some of us really have no choice in our operating system.

Howard has, once again, proven that he is more than capable of detroying a userbase. The question now becomes will he follow through or will he attempt to rectify the situation.

I will leave the project fundamentals and goals arguments for another thread and simply say that I personally don't have enough faith in Howard's science to run this client in the configuration it currently is in.

Anarchy99
07-23-2003, 08:10 AM
that seems a little harsh "afriend" but hey to each his own :)

I do however have to say that this client changeover we did was a mistake of biblical proportions and will take a miracle to fix.

the client has been running all night and is not even half way done with the first 10000 structures on 6 boxes running win2k and XP

linux is great all and I have no problem with it but guys this client running like this in windows is a joke :rotfl: :lmao:

and is ruining my stats and is taking to long

so I have come to the conclusion that this is a conspiracy put together by some right wing militant linux clan to overthrow my right wing militant conspiracy and I am not happy:rolleyes:

HELP ME WITH MY WINDOWS CLIENTS PLEASE

what did I do wrong?