PDA

View Full Version : upgrade trouble

Anarchy99
07-24-2003, 11:56 AM
ok here is a good one

I am upgrading a windows 98se box to 2k, when I put in the cd it recognizes the newer windows version and starts the upgrade process.

as it is doing the compatibility check where it creates a list of things that might have trouble running in 2k. it gets to just about the end and then gives me a "winnt" has performed an illegal operation and will shut down, it says it has caused a page fault at the kernel32.dll. ok

I try this upgrade with the ntfs upgrade with out it, I update everything I can on 98se from winupdate on the web, all new or updated drivers and still it does this every time.

does anyone have an answer on how to fix this problem ?

losing the data on the drive is not an option but it needs to get upgrade dammit :rotfl:

any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Chinasaur
07-24-2003, 12:47 PM
Back the data up and format.

RacerX
07-24-2003, 01:04 PM
Run fdisk and check your partition to make sure it is actually a FAT32 partition. I had one instance just like that where there was a FAT16 partition on the drive and Win98 would run but 2k will not. I totally agree with Chinasaur. Hook up another drive in tandem and copy the entire drive then format the one you have

Anarchy99
07-24-2003, 11:12 PM
thanks for the fat16 idea I never thought of checking that :idea:

ya I know but it was my brother-in-laws comp for work and it has his ups shipping and accounting and info for customers and crankshaft data so I didnt want to mess around with trying to get it transfered over.

but I guess I have no choice:(