PDA

View Full Version : PI233 with Linux worth it?

QIbHom
07-28-2003, 10:08 PM
I've got an old Pentium 233 laptop, with 256 megs of RAM. The official page implies this would run DF, as long as I'm not running Windows (yeah, right - I run Linux).

Is it worth even trying to run DF on it? Every little bit helps, I suppose, and I won't be traveling with it often.

Thanks.

Kosh
07-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Heh, I tossed in a P90 on linux at one point ... I don't think you'll get too much out of it, maybe if you are in a really close race. I had a P133 notebook but the reason I didn't run the client extensively is the problem of heat ... that thing got ridiculously hot. You might want to install it just for the entertainment value.

QIbHom
07-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Heat...hadn't thought about that. From what I've seen on the web, this model has heat issues. It was fine being left on all day in a training centre, though. Can give it a try, if I move it off the dry, cardboard box <g>. As you said, Kosh, it might be amusing.

Welnic
07-28-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by qibhom
Heat...hadn't thought about that. From what I've seen on the web, this model has heat issues. It was fine being left on all day in a training centre, though. Can give it a try, if I move it off the dry, cardboard box <g>. As you said, Kosh, it might be amusing.

It's a big difference between being on all day and crunching all day. I would definitely prop it up so air can get under it. Run it for an hour and see if you can touch it.