PDA

View Full Version : I know this may be old hat to most of you but

Fozzie
08-08-2003, 08:32 AM
has everyone who is running XP turned back on their 2nd level cache?

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

SecondLevelDataCache should be set to 1 (Decimal)

The default is 0

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Not old hat to me, and I run lots of copies of XP....

wirthi
08-08-2003, 09:21 AM
Hi,

that's new for me and it sounds interesting.

Do you have any further information about that?

I guess I have to restart after changing this value?

Thanks for the info,
Wirthi

IronBits
08-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Not exactly correct - read here
http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/116/

Should be used with Bartons to use all of the 512kb L2 cache :)

Also,

L2 Cache size

Windows XP can't detect the proper amount of L2 cache on your CPU. you'll want to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and change the SecondLevelDataCache key to the L2 cache size of your CPU (in Kb). I've received a few questions about this one and I thought I'd clarify it. when you select to modify this file the default entry is in hexadecimal simply change the selection to decimal and THEN enter your number. Such as 256, 512. A value of 100 in Hexadecimal will result in 256Kb being shown since that is what it's decimal number is.

Some have argued that this is only for the old systems that have their cache externally. I'm looking for more information on this right now.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"SecondLevelDataCache"="100"

Fozzie
08-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I thought it was just a switch on or off i.e. 0 and 1.

That article you have their IB is different to the one I read a while ago on TweakXP.

I'll try the new setting.

When I changed this on a fresh install of XP using just 0 to 1 it gave me 10-15% extra on CPU benchmarks. So should be handy for DF.

rsbriggs
08-08-2003, 10:15 AM
Some have argued that this is only for the old systems that have their cache externally. I'm looking for more information on this right now. This seems quite possible. I find it hard to believe that modern chips would allow the O/S to turn off the cache, and it seems like Windows should be able to read the correct size from modern chips.