PDA

View Full Version : Can't get netbooted clients to run DF

rsbriggs
08-13-2003, 09:43 PM
PCZ - any ideas here? Attempting to run net-booted clients gives me this error from foldtrajlite:

Can't open terminal: Linux

And it says that your PM mailbox is full - won't let me send to you...

Paratima
08-13-2003, 10:02 PM
Well, I'm not PCZ, but if you'll excuse that little quirk of fate... :p

When you log into Linux, your terminal type is by default set to type:Linux. Does this sound like a VT220? No. Maybe a Wyse60? No, not that either. And actually, a lot of low-level output (i.e. non-GUI) programs like a terminal type they can trust.

Linux ain't it.

So the deal here is that the client is trying to type something on a console of type Linux, and isn't happy about it. Somewhere in there you can set the default termtype to something other than Linux. Forgive me if I'm a little bushed right now & can't think of where that is. Or you could see why the client is trying to communicate via a terminal. Sorry, I AM bushed. Maybe that's enuff help. :dunno:

rsbriggs
08-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Well, tried exporting TERM=vt100, but it didn't like that either. Something funky about the way the net-booted system is set up? Where do I find what terms are available?

Paratima
08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
Sorry, it's beyond my shell-chocked brain atm. I'll think on it again in the ayem.

Maybe one of our gurus...

:sleepy:

PCZ
08-14-2003, 12:33 AM
This is an easy fix.

The DF program is trying to use linux terminal to draw to the screen, the remote nodes don't support this.
The Fix:
Before you let the clients run on the remote nodes run through setup on the server.
Go into the nodes working directory on the server and delete handle.txt.
Run ./foldit and you will be prompted for your handle, type it in. go through the setup questions and say you dont want any output to terminal. When setup is finished the program will quit. Copy this directory and use it for all your other remote nodes.

IronBits
08-14-2003, 12:57 AM
Here's my ./fold script
./foldtrajlite -f protein -n native -rt -qt -g 1 -p 10 &
no output no nada ... throws it in the background to ;)

ps -C foldtrajlite will let you know if it's working, as will ls -al progress.txt ;)