PDA

View Full Version : is it just me or can't you connect to www.distributedfolding.org too?

the-mk
08-14-2003, 05:26 PM
:confused:

My linux-client I just installed couldn't connect to www.distributedfolding.org. Am I the only one having this problem? Now I'm running it offline and I hope I can :dump: the results when the server is back :Pokes:

pfb
08-14-2003, 05:29 PM
same here - according to the news there is a major power failure across the US and Canada - I guess the DF site is affected by that...

Power failures hit US and Canada

Major cities in the United States and Canada have been affected by unexplained power failures.
Power blackouts were reported in the New York metropolitan area and Detroit, as well as in Toronto and Ottawa, authorities said.

Affected cities include Detroit in Michigan as well as Cleveland and Toledo in Ohio and Toronto and Ottawa in Canada.

There were reports of outages in New Jersey and Connecticut as well.

A New York state official also told CNN the Niagara Mohawk power grid was overloaded.

the-mk
08-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks pfb!

Today I've read about power failures in the US and Canada, but I didn't think about concerning the DF-server too.

Are there any news when the power will be up again?

bwkaz
08-14-2003, 06:11 PM
As of about 6 PM EDT, the mayor of some eastern US city (NY perhaps? really don't know for sure) on the radio, saying that nobody really knew when power would be back online, but "it'll be more than just minutes, perhaps a few hours". Or something like that.

No idea if this is accurate or not, though... he might just be talking to have something to say, and have no clue what the power companies are doing about it... ;)

FoBoT
08-14-2003, 06:13 PM
i was slow too, sitting here watching the news about the blackout and not being able to hit distributedfolding.org :blush:

i guess all of our clients will be caching work for a few days, until howard can sort out the mess

Paratima
08-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by FoBoT
i guess all of our clients will be caching work for a few days, until howard can sort out the mess Don't know if it'll be days or hours, but IMHO everyone should stop their boxen, set the "Disable Net Access" in dfGUI or change the foldit command line to include the -if option, and restart.

That way, you avoid the comm timeouts and retries that will otherwise slow you down. It does mean that you have to manually change 'em back when it's over, but you'll run a lot faster until that happens. :thumbs:

the-mk
08-15-2003, 01:34 AM
I've set all my clients (there are just 3 of them :() on disabled netaccess.

Following situation:
I can nslookup "www.distributedfolding.org", I get an IP and I can ping that IP, but the server behind that IP isn't up. So we'll have to wait some time until we can flush our results. Poor server: there will be a lot of result-flushes after he is back up. I hope that doesn't cause another power outage :D

I'm glad that the 337-generations error is fixed (I didn't try, but I think it must be fixed) because the client runs through the generations like an olympic sprinter :D