PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake 9.1 and Connection Problems

deranged128[OCAU]
09-04-2003, 09:50 AM
I've just put together another PC on which I am running DF.

I thought I would try, for something different, Linux Mandrake 9.1 in lieu of Wondows.

I am using a Windows 2000 Adv Serv as a Gateway on which WinProxy 4.0 is run to provide Proxy Services.

After installing Mandrake I successfully connected to the internet using the proxy server http settings 192.xxx.x.x and using Port 80.

This is identical to the 6 Windows PCs I have running DF via that same gateway.

Running ./foldit for the first time I set up the proxy configuration as I had for the other PCs however whenever the DF client attempts to connect to the host server it fails with an error message, Unable to locate Server.

The Proxy Server display window shows only a momentary connection from the Linux PC. I then attempted to establish a dedicated port on the Proxy Server, using 8080 as the incoming and directing the request to www.distributedfolding.org on Port 80. Again this was in vain.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also, if I can't get a connection established, is there a way of transfering completed generations via Zip Disk to another PC for uploading?

Thanks.

Paratima
09-04-2003, 12:02 PM
Also, if I can't get a connection established, is there a way of transfering completed generations via Zip Disk to another PC for uploading? The SAFE way is to:
1. Stop the client (well, of course!)
2. Load the whole subdirectory onto your Zip drive
3. On another system: Stop the local client
4. Run the upload from the zip drive, which will leave the files in the state you want
5. Erase the subdirectory on the original box and...
6. Reload your files from the Zip and restart.

Nuttin' to it! :D

Brian the Fist
09-04-2003, 12:50 PM
So are you saying using the exact same proxy server, and the same proxy.cfg, it work with a Windows client but not Linux??

If so, have you tried running a port sniffer on the Linux box to see the exact dialogue between it and the proxy server?

deranged128[OCAU]
09-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Brian the Fist
So are you saying using the exact same proxy server, and the same proxy.cfg, it work with a Windows client but not Linux??

If so, have you tried running a port sniffer on the Linux box to see the exact dialogue between it and the proxy server?

That's exactly the case. Everything is identical and the web browser, Mozilla, works perfectly on the Linux box using that Proxy Server, Port No. and gateway IP address.

I'll do the zip disk thing until I can get it sorted but will try a port sniffer (when I've worked out how on Linux) later today.

Thanks for the quick response.

IronBits
09-04-2003, 07:25 PM
I had the same problem, without a proxy server, but rather an SMC NAT firewall/router... everything else works flawlessly, but, the DF client could never communicate correctly.
Dyyryath did some port sniffing for me, maybe he can post his findings to explain it better... something about client waits for the 'date' but never sees that particular 'ack'
ack nack ack nack, ack smack and th client is left hanging waiting for the server response... I'm sure he will get more technical tho ;)

Dyyryath
09-05-2003, 11:07 AM
Actually, this sounds like something different (though the symptoms are similar) than what IronBits was seeing. Ih his case, I don't think it was the client, but rather a buggy or misconfigured NAT/router. Rather than try to fix that remotely (I'm on the other side of the country), I just created a Linux gateway for his clients to use and they connected fine.

deranged, take a look at ethereal. It's a packet sniffer for Linux that (I think) comes with Mandrake 9.1. It's got a graphical interface (unlike tcpdump which would also work) and it's painless to use. It'll allow you to save TCP stream info as a text file that will be easy for Howard to debug (in the case of a client problem). If you need help finding it, setting it up, or using it, email me directly and I'll hook you up.

deranged128[OCAU]
09-06-2003, 05:44 AM
Thanks Dyyryath.

I'm currently copying the files across to a windows box and uploading from there. It's time consuming but gets there in the end.

I'll investigate the port sniffer next week when I have time to devote to it.