PDA

View Full Version : More Libranet rave reviews

Chinasaur
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
http://linux-universe.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=1063

Debian based. Nuff said.

All the strengths of Debian and none of it's (installer centered) weaknesses.

Dyyryath
10-06-2003, 11:45 PM
I like Libranet, but haven't found it heads and shoulders above anything else. I'd rate it about even with Mandrake, but give Mandrake the edge for installer and the 'look' of the default desktop. Libranet does a better job with some device detection & driver support (i.e. automatically installing the proprietary nVidia drivers).

It's a pretty sweet distro, but not really my cup of tea. I've been a big fan of Mandrake for some time now, but it's Gentoo that I really love these days. :D

Moogie
10-07-2003, 12:49 AM
The most current version (2.8.1) costs $65 for a single user. The next most
recent version (2.7) is a freebie.

I'd probably be interested, if we didn't already have RedHat9 (which I
downloaded for free).

The main difference between RH9 and Libranet 2.8.1 is that Libranet is built
on Debian, which is generally acknowledged to be the most stable of the
distributions. On the gripping hand, I've had no problems with RH9.

Chinasaur
10-07-2003, 01:49 AM
The funny thing? I downloaded v1.7 and paid for 2.0.

Problem was...1.7 worked so flawlessly, and was my best install/working dist to date, that I never bothered installing 2.0 :)

So I'm downloading 2.7 now and will probably buy 2.8 and never install it.

Nahh!!! Not again :D~~

Dyyryath - I've got a Mandrake 9.1 install going now. But hooked to my KVM it goes flakey with the mouse about every third switchover..and I have to shut down things via keyboard, log out and log back in. It also will scroll down but not up...go figure.

So the Libranet install will overwrite 9.1. I haven't liked Mandrake since 8.1 :(

GHOST
10-07-2003, 02:09 AM
yep, i've had mice problems too w/ mandrake.

hey Chinasaur- you okay? bleeding? hospital?

QIbHom
10-07-2003, 06:22 PM
Libranet rocks. I switched over from using SuSE about a year ago, and am so glad to be out of RPM hell.

I also like the way Libranet does beta tests. There are about 50 of us, from rank Linux newbies to coders. We have our own e-mail list, and hash stuff out. Jon and Tal (the guys behind Libranet) fix even little things.

Beta testing is even more fun than DC, some days <g>.

excaliber
10-07-2003, 09:08 PM
From my limited Linux expierence, I like Slackware.

:p

Chinasaur
10-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Ahhh...nothing like a fresh Libranet install. Compile for dual athlon cpu's and voila..kick ass box.

Thanks to Marc_1 or I never would have gotten into Debian in first place.