PDA

View Full Version : previous generation missing error after gen250

Thor
10-08-2003, 03:55 PM
This is the first time I lost points...it's bad because I only have one machine and Uncle Fluffy is chasing me...

Now the problem:
I always seem to get the previous generation missing error when I do no-net and the client finishes gen 250 and then starts again with gen0 and goes on.
If there are any generations waiting to be uploaded when the client finishes the new gen0 and starts gen 1,2,3 and so on and I then try to upload my generations I get that stupid error!:bonk:
Up to know I was able to upload everything with -purgeuploadlist 1 but to day I lost about 10.000 points and 34 generations :cry: when tried to upload the 34 gen when the client finished gen 10 of the new set....:cry:
I know that is not to much for many of you, but it is a fourth of my daily production:cry:
Is it a bug, is it a feature? did anybody else have that problem? is this the right forum?:crazy:
:looney: :looney: :looney:

I'm confused and tired.....:stretcher
Good night

Thor

Fozzie
10-08-2003, 04:27 PM
I've been there a few times myself.

It is as bug that will say with this project until the upload process changes I feel.

Howard thought he had got it but TBH he can't really test it unless he has dial-up.

excaliber
10-08-2003, 05:29 PM
Heh. That happened to me today as well. I only lost a little bit though, and had to start over on a new generation (had about 60 gens done when it bugged out)

Paratima
10-08-2003, 06:56 PM
Thor, I've had this happen, but every time I traced it to either a power surge (most of my units now have u.p.s.) or some stupid mishandling on my part. I have one nonet box that I upload every night and several that I do once a week or so. I very seldom have problems like this. I have 2 classes of boxen here, so I'll discuss them separately.

Class I: the Local boxen. This class is machines close enough to stop, harvest, & restart conveniently. With these, I stop the folding (and wait till it's really stopped!) and load the entire folding directory onto my transfer medium. I use a 256MB USB2.0 thumb drive (Love it!). Go to my upload machine and stop it from folding. (!) Run the upload process right from the thumb drive. The uploaded files get deleted and the remaining files get updated by the client. Upload done. Carry the thumb drive back to the nonet box and replace the entire folder with the contents of the thumb drive. This is very important! I actually delete all DF files from the nonet box when I do the initial transfer, so that they aren't there to make trouble when I reload. Then I restart folding on all units & pour myself a well-deserved drink. :D

Class II: the Remote boxen. These guys are too far away for multiple trips, so a different strategy is used. Stop the folding. Copy handle*.* , fold*.bz2 , and filelist.txt to my thumb drive. Then DELETE those files from the remote no-netter, so that it will restart at Gen 0. Restart folding. Carry thumb drive home. Upload files. Pour drink. :D

Any questions?

P.S. Passing Gen 250 is completely irrelevant. I have done over 1300 generations in a single dump! Required two drinks to celebrate!

Thor
10-09-2003, 02:16 AM
First of all thanks for your replies:thumbs:

A few things to tell:

My box is local, it is sitting right in front of me.
I'm not really on an dial-up connection. I have ADSL wich is usualy conneced all day.
The reason for doin no net is, that the switch which usually handles the traffic here at home is away for a while. My brother lend it to a friend..
So I just do no net because I don't want him to accidently unplug my box while it is uploading....
And then I had the trouble yesterday:cry:
Don't no what it could have caused...no spikes in the power I noticed, the upload before went just fine....
So I guess it is just a few points lost... too bad...will not let this happen again..

Greets Thor