PDA

View Full Version : I have problems

kazrod
10-21-2003, 09:09 PM
First let me say I think this is a great idea and after reading about it in Computer Shopper(Nov2003) I wanted to become involved, however, I am unable to get any instalation to work.
I am running Win2k sp4 (and all the updates) I also installed the recomended Java.

I downloaded and ran the DHE.msi instalation package, whilst the installer is trying to 'remove the backup files' I get the following error -
"Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor."
So I attempted to do the manual instalation I followed all the instructions and when I open the services window and start the DHE service I get a non-error - "Could not start the DHE island service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact you sys admin."
I also tried launching the batch program. I get a scrolling screen with the following repeating ad infinitum -

C:\javaHDE>goto begin

C:\javaHDE>start /low /b /wait java -Djava.security.policy=java.policy -jar ITCl
ient.jar 139.184.166.27 KingKong **MYNAME** -i 30 -c 60 MY@EMAIL.ADDY
Exception in thread "main" java.util.zip.ZipException: The system cannot find th
e file specified
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.open(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.jar.JarFile.<init>(Unknown Source)

C:\javaHDE>goto begin

I understand that it is stuck in a loop, but I dont know why it cant find the files, or even if I have the right files.

Please could someone help as I would really like to get involved in this.

Thanks.:thumbs:

michaelgarvie
10-22-2003, 07:10 AM
The installer says that sometimes even when there was no problem.
Have you uninstalled it? If not, go to Control Panel->Admin Tools->Services and check if there's one called Distributed Hardware Evolution Client. If its there, click the play button. Let me know how it goes,
Miguel

kazrod
10-22-2003, 09:54 AM
oops, I forgot to say about that.....

I did go into the services and the DHE Client was present. I started the service and watched it start and then stop, I tried again and I got the same error that I had after the manual instalation -
("Could not start the DHE island service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal Windows error or an internal service error. If the problem persists, contact you sys admin.")
- after each attempt at installing and running the program I uninstalled before trying a different method. :bang: :help:

Just a thought, is this service dependant on any other running service which may have been disabled? eg. I recently disabled messenger to prevent spam popups.

TeraCap
10-22-2003, 05:38 PM
On my xp I dont installed the services.

I got the same batch loop.

Then I started a dos box from run with cmd.
Typed "java -version" and enter.
And got "no java" added path to my java call, and got the expected reply.

In islandNT.bat you must check the 2 file ref.

ITClien.jar and java.policy

I got 2 files in my dir with an extra ext:

ITClien.jar.zip and java.policy.txt

either correct the bat file or change the ext. on the files.

Hope it will do it.

kazrod
10-22-2003, 06:54 PM
:neener: :banana: :elephant:

Problem solved, looks like it was my fault for not checking the file names properly
:blush:

Thanks for the help.:thumbs: