PDA

View Full Version : Problem with offline boxes

[DPC]Mobster
10-29-2003, 03:41 AM
Yesterday I had 2 new systems on a dialup and installed clients on both systems.
I received a test and started crunching blocks using Transmit intermediate blocks. I completed about 3 blocks after whicht I stopped en exited the clients.
After that I removed the modem (which I used for connection) and rebooted the system. After the reboot I fired up the client, went into the config and removed the Transmit intermediate blocks checkbox.
But when I started the client it tried to connect to the server instead of proceeding with the earlier started test. :swear:

This morning I installed the modem again and connected to the internet. I started the client and it went and fetched a new test!

The problem is, that I want to run the client on my offline boxes and somehow it doesn't seem to work or I am doing something wrong?!

How can I run the client on offline boxes without having a zillion open tests on my systems....? :?

Nuri
10-29-2003, 07:42 AM
I know that this is not the answer to your question, but would you consider running Sieve and/or P-1 factoring clients on your offline boxes? They are much easier to handle on offline boxes, and the factors you submit are scored (http://www.aooq73.dsl.pipex.com/) as well. With two boxes running 7/24, you should quickly rank within the top 10 on last 14 day stats of SB Sieving and factoring scores.

Ken_g6[TA]
11-05-2003, 04:03 PM
I don't know why your client is doing that, but my proxy lets your client think it's online. And you'd probably be the first one to test whether or not my Anandtech restriction works (I'm told it shouldn't).

Meanwhile, you might also look for your cache, under "LhDn" in the registry, and set the "cache" value to 2 instead of 0.

Good luck.:)

[DPC]Mobster
11-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Finally. Another reply ;)
I've checked my registry and the cache is already set to 2.

Strange thing is that since my problem occured I've completed 2 sets wothout any problems.
I still have 2 (my current and the old one) z files in my dir.....

DigitalConcepts
11-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Mobster, I've read that it matters which directory you are in when you start the client. Perhaps you were in a directory other than the client's home directory when you had problems?

If you have spent much time on those skipped WUs, you can wait for a WU to finish and edit the registry with the old k/n pair to continue where you left off. You want to do this early before they get reassigned (10 days).

allio
11-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Nobody's mentioned this - the windows client has a bug where it will always abandon the first test it downloads after you install it, after you reboot. This has happened every time I install the client, and to many others. You should find that it doesn't drop the test again :)

It's nothing to do with your connection, I've been running it happily over dialup for many months, with next to no issues ;)

[DPC]Mobster
11-06-2003, 04:53 AM
@allio. I don't know if you're kiddin' or not, but this seems to be the case yes.
If it is a 'real problem' I would love to see it solved in the next client release. It didn't cost me that much time, but that test is just sitting there waiting to be solved when somebody else (or myself) could have checked it a long time ago...

@DigitalConcepts. Good point. How would I do that?

allio
11-06-2003, 04:56 AM
It's a real problem. I have no idea why it hasn't been fixed yet :(

[DPC]Mobster
11-06-2003, 05:02 AM
I thought so. Unfortunately the forum here doesn't have a subforum where we can report bugs. Hopefully some of the coders will read this and will tackle this issue.

dfamily
11-06-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by allio
Nobody's mentioned this - the windows client has a bug where it will always abandon the first test it downloads after you install it, after you reboot. This has happened every time I install the client, and to many others. You should find that it doesn't drop the test again :)

I find that the following sequence works:

install sob
click on config and change your user name
exit before getting the first test
reboot
start sob
no worries

I'm sure it has something to do with estasblishing the registry entries? Don't know but think of all the many programs that require you to reboot immediately after installing "before the changes take effect"...SOB needs the reboot before getting the first test, that's all...

[DPC]Mobster
11-06-2003, 09:20 AM
OK. Next time I install the client I will give this a try. Cheers!

DigitalConcepts
11-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by [DPC]Mobster
@DigitalConcepts. Good point. How would I do that?
Stop/exit client.
Run regedit.
Find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\LhDn\sob\cache - change k/n values to reflect old WU (find them in your log file).
Reboot.
Start client.

[DPC]Mobster
11-06-2003, 03:34 PM
I will give that a shot tomorrow!