PDA

View Full Version : You should all be making much more publicity for the project

mastervince5
11-16-2003, 04:21 PM
the title says it all, publicity,publicity, .... , being known by people is the key to success... so make more work of it :|party|:

kenlow
11-18-2003, 09:33 PM
How can you justify publicising a project when it still has issues that needs to be worked out?

DCers are more likely to stay away from a project after a bad experience than to stick around hoping for a fix.

Example for me is D2OL. After my first experience with it's buggy client, I have since stayed away from it...even after people tell me that the client is more stable now.

I would rather wait for the client to be stable before recommending it.

Death
11-19-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by kenlow
How can you justify publicising a project when it still has issues that needs to be worked out?

DCers are more likely to stay away from a project after a bad experience than to stick around hoping for a fix.

Example for me is D2OL. After my first experience with it's buggy client, I have since stayed away from it...even after people tell me that the client is more stable now.

I would rather wait for the client to be stable before recommending it.

This don't stop 1000 of participants.

Chookmeister
11-19-2003, 09:01 AM
This don't stop 1000 of participants.

No, but how many more have been put off SB by a client that dies on them, leaving them with nothing for their crunching, or just plain annoying the hell out of them by forcing them to restart it?

Who knows, as lots of people simply become bored with the project and leave regardless. But we don't want the project to be given a bad reputation by recommending vast numbers of people to buggy clients.

mastervince5
11-19-2003, 10:00 AM
You are indeed right Kenlow. That's why I suggested working together with BOINC.

Another member (Lagardo) had an interesting comment on the issue you mentioned.

As far as I can figure out, once it's converted to BOINC, newbies ought to be able to switch to SoB a lot easier as the whole setup and stuff are unified (right? wrong?).

If nothing else, it seems that BOINC would take care of things like networking -- exactly those things where SoB is sorely lacking and bug-riddled. Imagine no more hangs/stalls/crashes upon connection to the server. That would go a long way towards making SoB something I could recommend to someone else to run.

My regards :rotfl: