PDA

View Full Version : An alliance with the BOINC project

mastervince5
11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
I think that the people at SoB should alter their
program to work with BOINC.

I'm sure the BOINC developers would be happy to have
SoB & any other projects join them.

It could give the SoB project an enormous boost.

;)

larsivi
11-17-2003, 09:39 AM
The Nano@Home project has considered BOINC. A fairly thourough discussion can be found at the
Nano@Home forums (http://www.nanoathome.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57&sid=2ad13151f38e3ef33355833d23a6dcab). Many good points, pro on con.

Ken_g6[TA]
11-17-2003, 02:40 PM
Just so we're clear, as Dr_BarnOwl said on that other forum:
BOINC is to DC apps as Apache is to websites : You set your own server up and provide the content yourself. You don't have to share your server setup with any other projects. Conversely, you don't get a free ride on bandwidth or server space.

wirthi
11-17-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Ken_g6[TA]
Just so we're clear, as Dr_BarnOwl said on that other forum:
Ok, how to interpret this? BOINC is good for new projects (since they can be build much faster & easier, but not good for already existing projects (they would have to rewrite most of their code?

Ken_g6[TA]
11-17-2003, 03:59 PM
I'd agree with that, Wirthi. For another alternative, check out COSM (http://www.mithral.com/projects/cosm/).

Confused
11-17-2003, 05:11 PM
I believe that putting SoB into BOINC would be a very good move.

BOINC is a great platform for controlling DC apps, and there are some people who would like to run SoB along with another project, and BOINC is the perfect platform for this, it is how it's designed.

Garry

mastervince5
11-17-2003, 06:30 PM
That was just the thought I had Confused.

By working together with the BOINC platform, which is an ideal one for SoB I think,

far more people could be made aware of the project.

This obviously would have a tremendous impact on the project

mastervince5
11-17-2003, 06:32 PM
Keep posting people, I especially would like to here what the responsible people

for the project think. Is it possible? Are you interested? .....

;)

Lagardo
11-17-2003, 09:12 PM
As far as I can figure out, once it's converted to BOINC, newbies ought to be able to switch to SoB a lot easier as the whole setup and stuff are unified (right? wrong?).

If nothing else, it seems that BOINC would take care of things like networking -- exactly those things where SoB is sorely lacking and bug-riddled. Imagine no more hangs/stalls/crashes upon connection to the server. That would go a long way towards making SoB something I could recommend to someone else to run.

Death
11-19-2003, 05:56 AM
Maybe they can write PowerPC Macintosh Client :rolleyes:

DigitalConcepts
11-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Look above at what Ken_g6[TA] said. Then read about boinc (http://boinc.berkeley.edu/). It is a wrapper API. You still use your old database, server and network! To start you need to do one of two things. You need to wrap your installation with BOINC calls (if it is even possible), or rewrite/simplify you installation so that is uses a "typical" BOINC install design.

Let me give you an example of the above... Either way you'd need to remove the use of the registry to keep client information - a relatively minor change that was requested by users over a year ago but for which noone has found the time.

Look back at what happened to Seti. Success. Success brought down their network. Success brought both client exploits and numerous cheats, things you will have to plan for and prevent using BOINC's infrastructure. Don't get successful and tee off thousands of users because you aren't willing to put in the time and maintenance to fix things both big and small.

So you are right - BOINC would be good for this project exposure-wise. It's just that one would need to address the list of fixes and improvements to IN ORDER to work with BOINC. So work the improvements first, then think about BOINC.

mastervince5
11-20-2003, 06:36 AM
You're absolutely right DigitalConcepts. A good performing program is a must if SoB

would like to join BOINC (which I think would be a great move, and boost for the

project), we just have to convince the programmer to work on it.

I would certainly like to see his comments and thoughts on this forum!!!! So please

come out and share them with us.

My regards

:cheers:

mastervince5
04-21-2004, 10:18 AM
Is there a future with BOINC (short - longterm - what are the things that have to be sorted out - is there a will from the projectdevelopers - ............... ) ???????????????????????

offamychain
04-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Don't mean to ruin the parade, but I personally think that SOB going to BOINC would be the worst move they could possibly make & would possibly be the ultimate death of the program.
Quite often, a major change in any type of project does not work out quite as well as planned. And in this case, the platform being considered is already broken.
I'm not sure exactly, but BOINC's "official" release has already been pushed back a year or more. And it still has problems. Going by the trouble they've had just getting the basic platform going, think of what it'll be like when they start trying to manage multiple projects.
I doubt they'll be many long-term takers besides people that like Beta-testing or that don't mind running buggy programs.

Death
04-22-2004, 04:34 AM
AFAIK d.net guys are opened for propositions about new projects.
I mean inserting SoB core into current d.net client is not so big problem. now they doing rc5-72 and ogr-25 simulateneously.

vjs
04-23-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm very much against BIONIC at current time, I think it takes away from the spirt of DC but not it's application.

I wouldn't add sob to bionic however I would add the seive portion. Actually proth seive would be a very good candiate for BIONIC as well as for Dnet.

IMHO, the seive portion could use a little rewrite the idea of posting and manually submitting is not great. It works but if there were a portion of SOB to add to BIONIC or D-net this would be the one. It would still help in the long term.

VJS

jjjjL
04-24-2004, 07:23 PM
I've heard of BOINC. You're not the first to suggest it.

To give you an idea of how little I think of BOINC, I would more seriously consider porting SB to grapics cards or Macs.

Cheers,
Louie

Veter
04-28-2004, 11:11 AM
:bang: BOINC. I think thats how they got that name when they screwed something up (again and again). :swear: @#$%# Wil be the new name :P

ontopic:

I have no affection with Seti and i dont want to run a client wath has the capability to fall back to Seti when there are network problems or other problems.

Joh14vers6
04-28-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by jjjjL

To give you an idea of how little I think of BOINC, I would more seriously consider porting SB to grapics cards or Macs.

Cheers,
Louie

I'm glad that are your thoughts about BOINC.

Like wise Veter:

Originally posted by Veter
I have no affection with Seti and i dont want to run a client wath has the capability to fall back to Seti when there are network problems or other problems. [/B]

I do not want to be involved anyhow with Seti, because as a Christian I do believe in creationisme and not in evolutionisme.

offamychain
04-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Uummhh, I never liked to publicly bring religion, etc. into the DC-community. It's a friendly place that doesn't need to be divided like politics. DC'ing is supposed to be FUN, not controversial.

But I'm also a born-again Christian who also believes in creation & runs SETI also. If whichever god we individually choose to worship decided to also put other life elsewhere in the universe, I can't make the connection between that & evolution.

But that's my opinion only, & all I'll say about it.

On BOINC, I have tried it, very briefly, in the past. Back around a year ago when SETI#1 was "about" to end.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: My opinion on the project, like Louie hints at, is that current projects will not be interested in switching platforms, unless the project seems to be a burden on the "management", & they want to hand it over to someone else anyway, like Ubero & E@H. Why try to fix something that isn't broke, by replacing it with something that is? Don't make sense.

So, what I see, when & if BOINC ever actually comes outta Beta, or whatever stage it's currently "officially" in, it will only be a platform for FUTURE projects.

Death
09-06-2004, 04:43 AM
:Pokes:

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=69

UncleBeard
09-09-2004, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by jjjjL

Cheers,
Louie
I too am so pleased that you feel this way! :cheers: At this time I feel that there is no way I am ever going to install BOINC on any of my PCs. Don't like the whole concept.

If every DC project moved to BOINC I would stop doing DC rather than install it.

Ray