PDA

View Full Version : Client incorrectly treats handle as invalid when it can't connect on startup

vsemaska
03-28-2002, 02:08 PM
Text Client, Tru64 UNIX, Distributed Foldtraj v2002.03.21

Before I realized your server was down yesterday I started the client with the '-qt' option. I noticed it wasn't using most of the CPU so I checked around. Since I'm using a proxy server I checked its log and found this about 20 times a second:

"GET http://www.distributedfolding.org:80//cgi-bin/trajstore?handle=krqozyxf&verifyhandle= HTTP/1.0" 502 644

I aborted the client and noticed the handle.txt file was now missing, it was there before. So I got rid of the '-qt' option, restored handle.txt from another system, and tried it again. I got this:

Checking for newer versions...
A previously used handle was found but it was invalid.
Please enter a valid handle.
Enter Handle:
The program has crashed. If you suspect
a bug, please contact us at trades@mshri.on.ca
Note: All unsent data has been lost.

It appears to me that the client treated the failure to connect to the server as indication that the handle was invalid, deleted handle.txt, and prompted for a new handle.

Also, when the '-qt' option is used in this type of situation the client goes into a loop trying over and over again to connect to the server. Shouldn't it just terminate.

Not a big problem since all I had to do was use the '-i f' option to continue and then '-u t' (w/ '-df' :)) to upload when the server was back up.

I thought you'd like to know.

Vic

Brian the Fist
03-28-2002, 02:21 PM
Unfortunately it is not easy for me to test or debug the Alpha version. Can anyone verify that this is a problem on another OS?

The software will sometimes erase your handle, saying it is invalid, if the server is intentionally down as it was yesterday afternoon. I have changed this behaviour for future versions so it will only invalidate your handle it if gets 100% confirmation from the server that it is a bad handle.