PDA

View Full Version : Only 50% CPU under Windows XP...

GuigZ
12-08-2003, 11:00 AM
Hello,

I've been running F@H under windows XP pro for a few weeks now, but I have a small problem : I specified 100% CPU usage limit in the configuration of the client, but the process doesn't seem to be able to go above 50 % of CPU usage. I've been trying several versions of the client (graphical/cosole...) and several configurations, but it's always the same : no more than 50% CPU usage, even if the computer isn't running anything else. I think it has maybe something to see with the "inactive processes" thread in the task manager but I am not sure.
Can anyone help me ?

rshepard
12-08-2003, 11:09 AM
Is it a dual processor box? If so, and you are only running one instance of the client, then 50% is normal- it is maxing out one processor. If it's not a dual, then I don't know off hand.

FoBoT
12-08-2003, 11:47 AM
remember that if its one of the newer P4's with hyperthreading, it may appear to the software/OS as a dual cpu unit, even if its only a single cpu box

Welnic
12-08-2003, 12:11 PM
Its probably a P4 with Hyperthreading, which means that it acts like it has two proccessors. So you have to run two instances of the client. One thing special that you have to do is start the console client with the -local flag, that will put all of the work files in that folder instead of the normal place (I actually don't know where the normal place is on Windows). When it asks you questions when you first start it say yes to "Change advanced options" and then enter 2 for "Machine ID" on your second client.

I always use the -local flag, I find it cleaner to have all of the files in one place.

GuigZ
12-09-2003, 06:58 PM
OK, thx everyone for your answers. Hyperthreading was the problem. I followed your instructions and now I'm folding at 100% of my PC's possibilities.:thumbs:

Fritz
12-11-2003, 09:32 AM
GuigZ,

On hyperthreaded CPUs where the hyperthreading is enabled, and you are running one application, the Task Manager won't exceed 50%. However, in actual fact the CPU uses close to 100% in any case. I have compared the rate on the Seventeen or Bust application, running one instance both with and without HT enabled, and the output difference was just a few percent.

Fritz :D