PDA

View Full Version : next.txt stuck?

Frodo42
12-11-2003, 07:39 AM
For the last 24 hours the test 5359*2^4879702 has been in the next.txt (http://www.seventeenorbust.com/sieve/next.txt) file, why is that?
In my understanding the next.txt file should shift pretty often, something like every time a new test gets handed out.
For one thing it has screwed up the sieve-stats (well I got lot's of extra point for some old P-1-factors so I guess I shouldn't complain)
I fear that everyone who got a new test during the last 24 hours was assigned to 5359*2^4879702, but I don't know as I have not gotten any new test's myself.

MikeH
12-11-2003, 04:03 PM
I just got a new WU and it was 5.21M, so doesn't look as though this is affecting the main PRP effort.

I wonder if the failure of next.txt has anything to do with this comment on the news page? Alien88?

-----------------------
Server Downtime
(posted by mike garrison) Monday, 08 Dec 2003
I did some brief server maintenece from about 1:00am to 1:15am so if you experienced issues accessing the website or reporting blocks, that was why.
-----------------------

hc_grove
12-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by MikeH
I just got a new WU and it was 5.21M, so doesn't look as though this is affecting the main PRP effort.

But it is a problem for those of us doing p-1. I wasn't aware of the problem this morning, so I put my laptop to work on n's around 5.22M, if you are getting WU's around 5.21M now, that is a little bit too close. (But I believe the laptop will finish in about an hour so it should find any factors before a test is handed out - but as long as the scores are based on the content of next.txt it will score fully anyway, so perhaps I shouldn't worry).

.Henrik

Keroberts1
12-11-2003, 06:16 PM
yes but it wouldn't help the project at all if the test has already bee nassigned. That is why we're here isn't it

Frodo42
12-14-2003, 05:25 AM
Well it seems next.txt is on the run again :beep:
At least this did some good as the sieve-stats now isn't dependent on this little jumpy fellow :bouncy: and thereby should get somewhat more dependent

Frodo42
02-10-2004, 12:34 AM
Hey it's doing it again. For at least an hour next.txt has been
k n
22699 5408254
and I got assigned a test in that time.

As I remember it, last time it was because of a possible prime dicovery while it was being double checked.
I just hope that is the case again, even though it is rather troublesome changing SoB.dat and all that stuff when it happen but I guess I can live with that.
It doesn't look like any k's are falling behind on the project stats site (http://www.seventeenorbust.com/stats/rangeStatsEx.mhtml) but they may just be trying to hide it from us :Pokes:

Oh well even if it's not a new prime a little paranoia is always fun :smoking:

Frodo42
02-10-2004, 03:55 AM
:eek: it moved again
k n
10223 5550437

So either someone trying to hide the primes from us saw my post and made another decoy or I'm just being strupid.
A combination is also possible.

Alien88
02-11-2004, 01:36 PM
no prime yet.. not sure what happened :)

jjjjL
02-11-2004, 04:30 PM
next.txt is only updated 4 times a day. it's not surprising that it would be "stuck" for hours at a time. I believe it was originally designed to update 4 times a day an hour before each sieve stats update so that Mike could have more than one daily update.

Cheers,
Louie