PDA

View Full Version : Chess Brain priority

Welnic
12-23-2003, 12:22 PM
I run all of my CB clients with:

cpuuse=low

Looking at my linux boxen the actual priorities are actually 0 or 5. They are not doing anything else, so that is fine.
My OSX boxen, which actually work for a living all had the priority set to 0. I fixed that with nice, I am now running with 15.

My work XP box has 2 instances running since I have hyperthreading turned on. They are also running at normal priority, which means that I have to turn them off during after hours LAN gaming. I am running them as a service with FireDaemon, so I can't just change the priority in task manager.

How can I set the priority to something else?

FoBoT
12-23-2003, 12:57 PM
i set mine "below normal"

Welnic
12-23-2003, 04:47 PM
I tried just running the client normally and it ran at the priority set in the cbspn.conf file. Then I looked harder in the FireDaemon setup and found where you set the priority in there. So now I have it set to below_normal. The cbspn.conf file doesn't seem to carry much weight when it is run as a service.

cygnussphere
01-11-2004, 07:06 PM
I discovered the priority problem while running node swarms using firedaemon. I was getting...errr... complaints from some of the "users" regarding stalling of their boxen:blush:
I had the p = low in the config file but FD set it to normal with 5 instances running on the machines:bonk:
That and I had DF, D2ol running at the same time on 2 of them as well.

Sheesh I can't imagine what it's like to keep up with one of the huge pharms out there.:eek:

:tempted:

:evil:

:cheers: