PDA

View Full Version : DSL for xmass, now what?

MrTRS
12-26-2003, 10:50 AM
Ok, I got DSL for Xmass. The DSL Modem/Router only has 4 ports, I have 5
computers. I have an extra 4 port router and a 8 port hub.

Can I plug in one of those devices and extend my DSL to more than 4 ports?

Thanks for any help.

Ray:confused:

Auritania
12-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Short answer: Most likely, yes.

Try it, it can't hurt. Just keep the crossover/uplink thing in mind when you plug in. I would also lean towards using the hub over the router for now.

DocWardo
12-26-2003, 11:32 AM
use the hub.

your dsl is already a router (probably) and hooking two routers in a row is just asking for trouble. I'd recommend a switch iwth an uplink port, but the hub will get you up and running for now.

magicfan241
12-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by MrTRS
Ok, I got DSL for Xmass.

So you have joined the masses. Did you get it to download p0rn and mp3's at top speed?

But, use the hub, it will be less work for you. I have a 4 port router w/ wireless, and a 4 port hub downstairs. I have a spare 4 port router, but I would have to reconfigure the whole thing to make it work......

matrix_fan
01-09-2004, 11:42 AM
I have the same problem( except I have three computers, and only a 2-port router, Should I buy a switch? If so.... How do I wire it: Do I plug-in a wire from the router to the switch, then from the switch to each computer?

PCZ
01-11-2004, 07:25 PM
You connect the Switch to the DSL Router.
The wiring on the patch lead has to be reversed.
Most switches have an Uplink port which already has RX and TX reversed
so you can use a normal straight through cable rather than a crossover.

The port will be marked uplink and there is normally a small button to toggle the port
between normal and reversed.

You plug your PC's into the Switch.

If you have any unused ports on the back of the router you can still plug PC's into them if you want, or plug in another switch to extend your LAN to another part of the house.

matrix_fan
02-10-2004, 11:02 AM
this would be fine right?: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=546&grid= , I have a choice of a refurbed switch like above, or one of these: http://www.newegg.com/app/ListProduct.asp?DEPA=1&submit=list&catalog=30&description=&sortby=22&order=1 $23 or under with shipping. Is there any good brand since I am going cheap?