PDA

View Full Version : Not automagically updating

brsullivan
04-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I mentioned this back in the Yahoo forums during the last update and my client still won't autoupdate unless I restart it. I am beginning to think this is less a bug issue and more an implementation issue.

I currently have two installs, both on Win2k boxes. My work one is setup as a service,vmar21, and I watched the progress file until it went from 100 back up to 5000. After this upload of units I stopped the service and restarted it. I watched as the temporary update file was deposited in my distribfold folder and then deleted. Also the progress file was updated to show uploads every 10k instead of 5k. So it updated only after I stopped then started the service.

My home version is the text client with the autoupdate.cfg file, with "1" in it. Its much faster than my office computer so i know that one hasn't updated either because I don't have any posted units. I will have to wait till I go home though to see whats really going on.

I'm still obviously confused...

Howard,
Here's what you posted on the Yahoo boards in regard to this after the last update,
"For some reason (maybe its late?) people sound like they're confused about the auto-update. What SHOULD happen (and I make no guarantees yet...) is if you have the file"autoupdate.cfg" in the clinet directory, then as soon as an update is detected, it will download it and install it if it is digitally signed, and then restart the client, all auto-magically. Not 100% sure if it will work when running the service but you;ll let me know Im sure.. When running as a service, it works in this 'mode' with or without autoupdate.cfg.
The whole point is so you don't have to be there when the update happens, to press 'y' like you do if autoupdate.cfg is missing. We have planned ahead for you. Hope this clarifies things and liek I said, if you find problems in the auto-update still add them to the bug database here."

So basically what Im saying is that it doesn't seem to be updating while running, only upon restart.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-01-2002, 03:59 PM
Windows 2000 and Windows NT 4 clients running as a service. All instances failed to update automagically. Manually launching the foldit.bat resulted in the "908 wrong protein" message, no new version was downloaded, and after a slight pause the client resumed working on the old protein.

My fix, I stopped all instances by deleting the foldtrajlite.lock file. Then I deleted all files from that directory. Copied the new install files to that directory. Copied in the proxy.cfg, handle.txt and autoupdate.cfg files and restarted the client service.

"Both" of my machines are working again. ;)

I am glad I prepared scripts for this in case the autoupdate failed again.

Ni!

Brian the Fist
04-01-2002, 05:43 PM
I would just like to re-iterate that the Mar. 21 version (or anything older than Mar.26) has some known auto-update problems. The most recent update did NOT update the executable, except for screensaver users. Thus if using the client, it is reccommended you download a fresh copy to get a completely working auto-update. The Mar. 26 version has been tested on both 2000 and XP as a service and updates with no intervention (on my test machines).

This will hopefully be the last version that you have to download manually to ensure the auto-update works OK. If possible please note if bugs you report here are from the Mar. 26 version or an earlier one so I do not try to fix a bug that no longer exists :) .

Thanks

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-01-2002, 05:57 PM
FYI, I was running the March 26 build. I think it is possible that if I had let the machines try the autoupdate several more times that they might have updated on their own. I am behind a caching proxy server. That may have corrupted the autoupdate process. I was impatient and didn't want them to keep banging away on the old protein so I killed them all, updated and got them crunching the new one.

Ni!

Dyyryath
04-01-2002, 06:49 PM
Hey Howard, is there a 'version' cmd line switch or anything we can use to determine which build we've got?

If not, that might be a nice addition when it comes to tracking down things like this.

brsullivan
04-01-2002, 07:36 PM
Thanks Howard!:)

I didn't see any news or known bugs on the site for versions past 3/18 so I never updated. Whoops. Anyway I just updated to the april fools version, vapr1, so lets hope when this next puppy is done that I will get a new protein sans restarting.

Thx

Brian the Fist
04-01-2002, 09:59 PM
To get the version, just run 'foldtrajlite.exe' at the command prompt (not by clicking on its icon, you actually need to open a DOS :confused: window). Youll see the date on the first line.

And for the MilleniumKnight: I think I fixed my squid problem (but won't know til next update ;) ) by telling it to NOT cache files called 'server.status'. This is the name of the file it checks for when checking for new versions. You should be able to do this in your proxy config somewhere. It is probably alredy configured to not cache anything with 'cgi-bin' in it so look for thatin your proxy config if you have no clue where to start...

Otherwise, the silly proxy just keeps sending the old status file (like you I am impatient and didnt wait around to find out how long it caches for) and thus the clients keep chugging along without knowledge that there's an update.

Dyyryath
04-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Ah, very good. Thanks, Howard.