PDA

View Full Version : Ready to give up

jfk
01-20-2004, 11:17 AM
I haven't been running the client lately, since whenever i do, no results are shown in my stats. So after a long break, I updated to the latest client and again no results are shown.

It's very frustrating. I would like to contribute, but I hate wasting computing cycles for work that is lost.

Any suggestions about how I could fix this problem?

Cheers,

-John

Anteraan
01-20-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm guessing the work is not being lost, as long as it is being submitted. Beyond double-checking your handle.txt file versus your Blueprint login page, (corrupted? wrong handle? "friend" came over and borged your box?), I can't think of anything.

Just to make sure the client is submitting work, I'll throw my boxen into no-net status, and you can run my handle for a day and see if any results come through...strictly in the interest of science and problem solving, of course. :D

tpdooley
01-20-2004, 03:43 PM
There's been mention of this happening to a few people who have the client setup to not automatically update when a new client is released. (They ended up running an old client and don't get any points after 48 hours of whatever client came out after the one they're running.)

Check your error log. If you're getting missing generation messages, you also won't get any credit. You'll start getting credit again as soon as it starts over at generation 0... either by letting it finish going through to gen 250, or deleting filelist.txt and starting over.

The stats sites have a 2hour? delay on them. I'm not sure what the delay is for your stats being updated on your personal page on the new www.distributedfolding.com site.

That's 3 more things to check on.

jfk
01-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Well, I have checked my handle file and yes it matches. I also have the client set to auto-update. I updated the client manually and move just the handle file from my old folder (and yes it showed up properly), ran it for about 700 and then checked when the stats were updated after my submission, and still 0.

Unless anyone has some other ideas that's it for me. I liked this project, but as I said before I hate wasting work, especially since I do other projects as well.

-John

FoBoT
01-21-2004, 09:12 AM
make a new handle/account

Stardragon
01-21-2004, 10:16 AM
Are there any errors in your error log that predate the disappearance of stats? If you can send your handle and error log to trades@mshri.on.ca , I will be able to investigate this more closely.

kandan
01-22-2004, 03:50 AM
Do you know that you you have to run the client in generation 0 for 10000 folds and then you will get the first points ?

cbrsurfr
02-18-2004, 06:20 PM
I'm getting something similar. My production was steady and then it started to drop off. Redownloaded and installed the clients on all 6 of my machines. Now my production is lower than ever. I've dropped in production by 62% in the last 48 hours (as of 2/18 14:00). The clients were all the latest on the website and auto connect and updates are turned on as well as the option to use 150mb of ram. My handle is correct and nothing shows up in any of my error logs.

Anteraan
02-18-2004, 09:18 PM
cbrsurfr,

Which generations were the clients on when this massive decrease in production occurred? If you restarted 6 clients at gen. 0, your point production will drop dramatically at first. That's just the way the scoring function works. Higher generations score many more points than early generations. You haven't provided enough information for me to eliminate this possibility, so it seems the most likely explanation. With a slow protein such as this one, the length of the scoring cycle (gen. 0 to gen. 250) is longer, and thus more noticable. My production has been cut roughly in half since the protein changeover (a week ago), for reference. It appears that, in your case, the slow protein is the issue -- a different one from jfk's.

Also, as a humorous side note, you may want to check that %delta column in your spreadsheet, as it is (without going into negatives) impossible to drop production by more than 100% -- increase, yes, decrease, no. :D

Edit: You should be dividing column D by column B (not C), to get a %delta.

I hope this solves your issue. Good luck, and keep crunching! :thumbs:

cbrsurfr
02-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Yeah I realized I screwed up on the %. Its still a big drop regardless. :p

On the last protein I was producing 900K/day. On the new protein I WAS producing just over 500K/day. Now I am down to well below 200K/day.

Generations are anywhere from upper 20's to 60's. So how long would it take for this to work itself out?

Anteraan
02-18-2004, 09:42 PM
20's to upper 60's are low-scoring generations. How long it will take to sort out depends on the speed of your machines. With my two main computers, I used to be doing 250 gens. in 24-27 hours with the old protein (Barton 2500's @ ~2150 MHz, for comparison). Now I'm looking more at 40-44 hours, so it may take another day or so, and you'll start to see some nice numbers -- until those machines "flip over" and start at gen. 0 again.

Just for the sake of posting it again, the scoring function is:

Points = 100*sqr(gen #) truncated

So, when your machines start getting to around gen. 100, your numbers should look much better (~400k-500k). It's all a big cycle, but with this slower protein, the cycle itself is much more noticable than the previous protein.