PDA

View Full Version : [NULL_Caption] FATAL ERROR: [004.001] b-d node crash; node not inserted

deranged128[OCAU]
01-30-2004, 02:39 AM
I keep getting the above error on one of my PCs.

The full text from the terminal window was:

+-+ -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 -1.#IND00 , 0
.000000 0.000000 0.001000
[NULL_Caption] FATAL ERROR: [004.001] b-d node crash; node not inserted
Hit Return

I can restart the client and it happily resumes from the same spot.

Specs on the client machine are:

Asus A7A266-E running AXP2000+ (Palomino) at stock speed (it's summer after all). Windows 2K Pro is the OS and with 256MB PC133 SDRAM.

After the 2nd time this happened (originally a fresh install) I copied the directory from another PC, deleted appropriate files and started again. Got the same problem though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Stardragon
01-30-2004, 10:53 AM
The error you are getting indicates that your machine is running into some serious difficulty performing floating-point arithmetic.
Could be the memory or the processor, try to run some tests to determine the overall health of the machine.

Since you are able to reproduce the error, it is more than likely that something on the machine is malfunctioning. Is running other math-intensive applications resulting in crashes or errors?

deranged128[OCAU]
01-30-2004, 03:50 PM
The motherboard, processor and RAM had been used in another machine which had DF on it and running faultlessly for months. The only difference was the HDD. The HDD though was from yet another PC that had been running DF without a problem. :confused:

I've reformatted the drive and tried an alternate OS (FreeBSD) to see if the problem re-surfaces.

Thanks for the advice, I'll post again if the problem starts up again. :cheers: