PDA

View Full Version : dfGUI client crash detection Poll

Digital Parasite
02-02-2004, 12:21 PM
I have the ability to add better DF client crash detection by looking for the actual process (foldtrajlite.exe) to see if it is running. But in doing so, it might make dfGUI no longer usable on Windows NT4 machines. For people running SMP machines, they will have to rename their foldtrajlite.exe file to something different for each CPU in order for dfGUI to be able to distinguish between each process.

Is it worth breaking NT4 compatability and doing a little extra initial config for SMP machines for this improved client crash detection?

FoBoT
02-02-2004, 02:45 PM
who is running DF on NT4 boxen? not me

i would guess the no votes are from people running dually's

Digital Parasite
02-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Yeah, wasn't sure if anyone was still using NT4 anymore (hey, upgrade!)...

Thanks to the help of Darkness Productions (aka little dp) I may be able to do the same thing on NT4 as well. He found some code that claims to work on both .

deranged128[OCAU]
02-02-2004, 04:41 PM
I voted no because I have duallies and also run NT4 boxen. In fact both of my duallies are NT4 and I have a couple of other machines also running NT4. No upgrade for me as I have the licences for NT4 and don't want to spend unnecessary $$ on upgrading them, prefer to spend it on hardware.

Why would the changed process be unworkable with NT4 anyway?

Digital Parasite
02-03-2004, 10:17 AM
The basic code to check the process list in Microsoft's infinite wisdom decided to do the same thing for all their OS's *except* NT4. If you have that code in the executable it won't even run on NT4, the program will crash when starting.

Luckily dp helped me find some code that uses both systems for checking process list and has a way to dynamically load the code so it won't crash on NT4 machines. If I can get that to work, we won't have the NT4 problem any more.

As for not wanting to pay upgrade costs (I understand), why don't you upgrade to Linux? Its free and has great duallie support.

Jeff.

deranged128[OCAU]
02-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Thanks Jeff. I hope the coding all works out then and yes, I am going to be moving over to Linux, it's a matter of time and learning the ropes. Dabbled a couple of times but still don't know enough to get a good server setup running without some problems.

bwkaz
02-03-2004, 06:15 PM
I assume the sample code you found is similar to this, right (or maybe even this exact article)?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175030

Digital Parasite
02-03-2004, 09:26 PM
That wasn't the exact link but it looks like it does the same thing.