PDA

View Full Version : Spam invasion targets mobile phones

Moogie
02-05-2004, 09:07 AM
Just when you thought it was safe to phone home. What will they think of next?<br><br><table width="90%" border="1" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="1" bordercolor="#63635A" bgcolor="#E7E7E2" align="center"><tr><td style="font-size: 12px; font-style: italic;"><b>HONG KONG, China (Reuters) -- If you thought your spam problems couldn't get any worse, check your mobile phone.</b> <br><br>Cell phones are becoming the latest target of electronic junk mail, with a growing number of marketers using text messages to target subscribers. <br><br>Mobile phone spam has yet to approach anything like the volume of the e-mail variety, but the problem is growing in a region where the average user sends as many as 10 SMS (short message service) messages a day. <br></td></tr></table><br><br>Read on: <a href="http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/02/04/cellphone.spam.reut/index.html"><b>here</b>.</a><br><br>I read an article the other day in which they also warned folks to be careful when purchasing something with a credit card. Seems that people who have cell phones with the capability of taking pictures are capturing our credit card numbers and going on to use them for their own purchases.<br><br>And on yet another cell phone warning. If you wonder why they now want to check your cell phones at the airport, it's because firearms can now be disguied as cell phones.

matrix_fan
02-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Well, I have seen a stun-gun disguised as a cell phone......

QIbHom
02-05-2004, 12:44 PM
If you check Snopes, you'll see that, while there are no reports yet of someone having their credit card number stolen with a camera/cell phone combo, it is possible. Not likely yet, due to poor resolution, but it will happen someday.

Chinasaur
02-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Snopes rules :thumbs:

:cheers:

QIbHom
02-05-2004, 01:12 PM
Yep, Chinasaur. It is very difficult to beat a sarcastic, skeptical librarian.

Moogie
02-17-2004, 10:12 PM
Hmmm...I'll have to check that out. There was a huge article in our local newspaper about it that stated several cases.

pointwood
02-18-2004, 02:20 AM
Well, I believe this kind of spam will be very limited here since it costs money to send an SMS here so unlike mail, this will cost spammers money. Furthermore, I believe it is easier to track down a sms spammer and we got some pretty strict spam laws :)