PDA

View Full Version : Why did the project lose -422173001 structures today?

ColinT
04-03-2002, 04:53 PM
Looking at this page:

http://users.neosmart.com/~hruzaden/folding/stats/all_teams-df-stats.html

It shows the whole project lost -422173001 structures at the 0900 update (PST)

That seems odd, but on the last update, all the team's totals are very low.

FoBoT
04-03-2002, 05:43 PM
maybe its just a bug/fluke in den's script, the other stats pages don't show anything like that ( statsman (http://www.statsman.org/distfoldingstats/index.html)

ColinT
04-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Dyy's fancy stats are down now.

I was just curious.

Welnic
04-03-2002, 08:13 PM
A new team, Teamless Users was added to the Distributed Folding team statistics page. The next time that Den's statistics ran it included all of those which added over 400 million structures. It also increased the size of the page to over 2Mbs. Evidently that was changed (I sure didn't enjoy downloading and rendering the 2Mb html file) so the 400+ million were subtracted back out.

Den
04-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Yeah..the teamless people really threw a wrench in the works. Too any people and too many of them with no name (None) usernames.

I'm excluding them for now. It's back to how it was which means "all members" is actually "all people on a team" NOT all members running DF

Another change was that "None - *" usernames are no longer written to the database or tracked. It was getting crazy. So if you have no name...then you have no work history...add your nick or something as an account name ;)

On pages with > 250 members, members with no activity in a week are not listed. They are calculated into the totals and are calculated in the ranking stuff, but they are not shown. This gets 2 with one stone..inactive users and since None accounts have no history..they're always inactive.

I'll see about adding the 'teamless' totals into the 'all teams' totals without adding them to the 'all members' page.

Another option is to offer .gz versions of the stats pages which your browser can handle on the fly. I like that idea, but I don't know if all the browsers can handle that. Works in Netscape(Linux).

Did ya get all of that? :)

Den

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-03-2002, 10:43 PM
Den, thanks for the great stats you are keeping for us. I tried the gz pages and they download in moments! I haven't ever seen this before, but I really like it. Even over my dialup connection I get the page downloaded in a fraction of the time that it used to take.

I am using IE 6.0 on Windows 2000.

Ni!:D :)

FoBoT
04-03-2002, 11:02 PM
thanks Den! good stats! :)

Den
04-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Looks like it works in most of the browsers so far. I'd like to switch them all to the compressed versions.

If anybody wants to test the compressed version either add .gz to your links or find the links at
http://users.neosmart.com/~hruzaden/folding/stats/index.html

Den

Dyyryath
04-03-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ColinT
Dyy's fancy stats are down now.

I was just curious.

Mine were down due to a blown up hard drive. That's OK, though, that box was scheduled for a major upgrade tonight anyway. :D

It'll be back up shortly.

Den: Very nice! I like the compressed pages.

I've considered it myself several times, but I just decided to limit the number of rows per page instead.

Scoofy12
04-04-2002, 12:16 AM
Just to let you know...

the gz links work in opera 6.0 on win xp.. very nice, why dont more people do this?

Jammy
04-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Oh I like those, I like them a lot Den! I just tried on my Win 98 SE and it works as good as my W2K in the living room! I use IE 6.0 . . .why not use the ",gz" on all od the stats pages? They sure load fast!

Jammy

Originally posted by Den
Looks like it works in most of the browsers so far. I'd like to switch them all to the compressed versions.

If anybody wants to test the compressed version either add .gz to your links or find the links at
http://users.neosmart.com/~hruzaden/folding/stats/index.html

Den

xj10bt
04-04-2002, 08:35 AM
Hmm, doesn't work for me. IE6, and I get a file download dialog that only has the save option. I'll see if I can figure out why.

pointwood
04-04-2002, 09:21 AM
Great - gzip compressing is a great feature - works great in Mozilla :cool:

Attention Welnic - thanks for joining our team - drop by and say hello in this thread:
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=122097561&m=9270985704

Digital Parasite
04-04-2002, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by xj10bt
Hmm, doesn't work for me. IE6, and I get a file download dialog that only has the save option. I'll see if I can figure out why.

I have IE 6.0 on Win2k and it doesn't work for me either. I get a file download dialog and the "Open" option is disabled, I can only save the compressed file to disk.

KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
04-04-2002, 11:26 AM
I figured out why it works for me, but not for others with IE 6.0 on W2K. I have WinZip installed on all of my boxes. It automagically unzips the gz format for the browser without bothering to tell you that it is doing it for you.

I highly recommend that everyone download the evaluation copy of WinZip to try it from www.winzip.com

Of course, if you like it I highly recommend registering your copy as well! :D

Ni!

Jammy
04-04-2002, 11:50 AM
But of coursed! I bought a copy of WinZip four years ago and have been able to upgrade each time a new version comes out.

WinZip is great!

BTW >>> thanks for pointing that out KWSN_Millennium2001Guy! I always thought that I was lucky, lol.

Jammy

Originally posted by KWSN_Millennium2001Guy
I figured out why it works for me, but not for others with IE 6.0 on W2K. I have WinZip installed on all of my boxes. It automagically unzips the gz format for the browser without bothering to tell you that it is doing it for you.

I highly recommend that everyone download the evaluation copy of WinZip to try it from www.winzip.com

Of course, if you like it I highly recommend registering your copy as well! :D

Ni!

Paratima
04-04-2002, 12:05 PM
There's another option. I'm using Win2K and IE6.0, but the unpacking is done with "PowerDesk" from OnTrack Systems. Works great and you can get it here. (http://www.ontrack.com)

PS. Thanks, Den. :)

Den
04-04-2002, 12:36 PM
You shouldn't need any external apps to uncompress the pages. All the latest browsers should be able to handle it.

Only thing I could find is this.

from
http://webreference.com/internet/software/servers/http/compression/

To verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use the HTTP 1.1 protocol:

1. Open the Internet Options property sheet
* If using IE 4, this is located under the View menu
* If using IE 5, this is located under the Tools menu
2. Select the Advanced tab
3. Under HTTP 1.1 settings, verify that Use HTTP 1.1 is selected (see Figure 1 below).

Maybe even updating to a newer version of IE even if it's a minor version. Other people are reporting it works fine in IE6 and various Win versions

This should work seemlessly. If it's giving people problems I'll shut it off and go back to the normal uncompressed HMTL.

I shut off the redirect and the normal html pages are also online.

Den

Digital Parasite
04-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Den
You shouldn't need any external apps to uncompress the pages. All the latest browsers should be able to handle it.

3. Under HTTP 1.1 settings, verify that Use HTTP 1.1 is selected (see Figure 1 below).

This should work seemlessly. If it's giving people problems I'll shut it off and go back to the normal uncompressed HMTL.
Den

Hi Den,

This was the problem for me. I checked my settings and I do have HTTP 1.1 enabled (which is default for IE6 I believe) but here at work I have to go through a Proxy so I had to check "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections". Once I did that it all worked fine on the .gz compressed web pages.

mnx
04-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Thanks Den!!!!

SO MUCH FASTER NOW. the gz pages work well for me (WinXP IE6) No external apps installed.

mnx

Den
04-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite

Hi Den,

This was the problem for me. I checked my settings and I do have HTTP 1.1 enabled (which is default for IE6 I believe) but here at work I have to go through a Proxy so I had to check "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connections". Once I did that it all worked fine on the .gz compressed web pages.

Thanks. I added that to the main stats page news.

Den

ColinT
04-04-2002, 04:01 PM
Works like a champ on 2K with IE6. Thanks! Very inventive!

Jammy
04-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Den, oh please do not turn off the .gz pages! I have your stats page bookmarked on my desktop and I had a heck of a time finding the link to take me BACK to the .gz pages which load so fast for me!

Especially after 4-5 p.m. Pacific time the regular pages take longer to load, and I am on cable.

Jammy

Originally posted by Den

Maybe even updating to a newer version of IE even if it's a minor version. Other people are reporting it works fine in IE6 and various Win versions

I shut off the redirect and the normal html pages are also online.

Den

Gunslinger
04-05-2002, 06:01 PM
Neat!
.gz pages work fine for me (Win98 with IE5.5 SP2 on this box)

Download seems almost instant compared to standard version

Thanks Den :D

Ni!