PDA

View Full Version : Screen Saver not working

SharonS
04-03-2002, 05:30 PM
I've downloaded the distributed folding screen saver twice but it does not seem to be working. It initially said that I need to change my screen colors from 256 to 16 bit. I've fixed that but when I activate the screen saver I just get the top part with the buttons inactive (greyed out) and it says Structure #1, Amino Acid #0.

The screen saver first worked when I downloaded and I could see the Structures scrolling down, but now nothing happens.

I tried to read the FAQs, but frankly I'm not enough of a computer person to figure them out... but I'm still interested in getting this to work on my PC.

Thanks,

Sharon :confused:

Gollum
04-03-2002, 06:55 PM
I get simmilar behaviour on my screensaver, but after about 30 seconds of booting up it starts generating structures. Have you tried waiting a couple of minutes to see if your computer starts generating structures?

SharonS
04-03-2002, 06:56 PM
Hmm - now its working, so I'll have to check tomorrow again.

Thanks

Brian the Fist
04-03-2002, 09:40 PM
I believe it is possible, due to some changes made to the screensaver in the latest version, that the auto-updated version is not sufficient. A required registry entry may still be missing.
To check this you have 2 options:

For average user:
Download a fresh copy of the full package and install from scratch, overwriting the current install

for advanced users (if you don't understand these instructions, you shouldn't be trying this :D):
Open the registry editor and go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SLRI \FoldtrajScreensaver
If there is a Name in the right pane there named 'Path' and it's value is the dir you installed to, you are OK. If there is NO item named path (but about 6 other things) then right click in the left pane and choose New->String Value.
Set its name to 'Path' (without the quotes) and its value to the place where you installed the screensaver. This path must be in "short filename" format though. For example if you installed to the default location, this would be 'c:\progra~1\distri~1\'
Again, if this sounds too complicated, just go with method #1 above :p