PDA

View Full Version : To DF guru's

rel279
02-15-2004, 11:12 PM
I am new to this project...I have old pII and Amd k6 boxes...but they do contribute.
My problem is the client is slowing down from 100-200 strucktures per hr. to 20 to 30 strucktures per hr. when I set them and leave them alone. When I turn on the monitor and say just open a small file they start crunching at 100 to 200 per hr.

I am useing dfGUI set at 0 priority and use extra ram as all boxes have 256mb of ram. When I use the -15 prioity they seem too slow also Any advice would be welcome.

PII 400mhz 320mb 27gb hd windoze ME 4.09
amd k6 400mhz 256mb 9gb hd windoze ME 4.09

Thank You rel279 aka rick

PS all pwr. options turned off......run always

:trash:

PCZ
02-16-2004, 04:09 AM
rel279

If I understand your post correctly, your problem is that the client is going slower when you are not using the PC.

This is caused by power saving and or fancy screensavers.
When you stop using your PC {No Mouse or Keyboard Activity} Power Saving kicks in after a few mins.

This shuts down the video and HD, and more importantly throttles the CPU.

Check your Power Saving settings in windows and your BIOS

PS

The Default priority is fine.
When you are not using your PC DF will get all the spare processor time regardless of priority.

Paratima
02-16-2004, 07:00 AM
And be sure to shut off screen savers. They're pretty, but most of them take HUGE amounts of CPU time. ;)

rel279
02-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Ok thanks for the quick advice.....going to check the bios settings ....probably somthing I missed.

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-16-2004, 05:18 PM
yeah rel279, Should work fine on a K6 had it running on mine, worked a treat.. here is out to get the absolute Max out of it... in DFGui Config tab
Click everything but upload now (don't click no net access if you have perma access)
in the box on the left where it says DF Client click hidden.. That's it Tweaked to the MAX
now for the Screen Saver, Right click desktop and choose properties (or Control Panel > Display Properties)
select the screen saver tab and disable any screensaver then click on the
Energy Saving Button and set it to Never go on Standby, Never Power Down HD's, you can leave the monitor time set as it is.. now click apply or Ok and then Ok again and your set... Windows won't send PC to sleep and your box will Crunch nicely