PDA

View Full Version : 19" Rack Pharming Anyone

gopher_yarrowzoo
02-17-2004, 09:13 PM
Hmm had this Idea of getting a 19" rack and as many Mobo's as I could Squeeze in,
one problem Im gonna hit is Heat disappation and also the Power requirements was thinking of an AMD system (naturally)...
was thinking mount the Mobos as you would normally and mount the HD's above them at 90 degrees so they face the sides and connect them up.. mind you I do know you can get net bootable mobo's so could go that way instead... 1 server and however many "remote"
now one snag is POWER requirements and also need some way of checking that they are all running :| hmm oh yeah an i don't wanna hear it either...

Call me :crazy: :crazy: Crazy :crazy: :crazy: if ya like but I wanna do this just so I can say I got like 40Ghz or more at hand
any advice / previous thread posts would be nice :)

Paratima
02-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Try this thread (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2604) . ;)

Some of the links are dead, but it oughta be a good start.

Welnic
02-17-2004, 10:15 PM
Here is a link to my current setup, sortof:

http://www.rasy.com/home/clint/farmpics/CubeFarm.html :rotfl:

I now have three more boards, but they are just randomly lying around.

Our business is going to move, and my farm will have to go in a rack. I am planning on mounting the motherboards vertically, I think that it is way easier to deal with the heat that way. I have seen a link of someone that suspended MBs with zip-ties from PVC tubing, the link is dead now, though. I had to move my setup and ran it without the table fan for a while, the bottom boards didn't like it much. We have a bunch of Dell 1U units for servers and they sound like angry beehives. I am planning on sort of a blade thing with maybe a big fan on the top.

GHOST
02-17-2004, 10:31 PM
i am not sure if this is true, but i thought hard drives should be mounted flat. just thought there might be extra loads on bearings if mounted in different position.

?

Welnic
02-17-2004, 11:57 PM
I don't think the orientation a hard drive matters any more. They used to be sloppy enough that if you were going to run one on its side it was recommended that you also format it on its side. I never really believed that at the time. The ones that I have had just loose without much air blowing over them run a lot cooler on their side than flat. I don't think the bearings are a major failure point.