PDA

View Full Version : NFSNET - Number Field Sieve

Death
02-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Well, how about new forum for this project?

http://www.nfsnet.org

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 11:06 AM
Ah, must catch up with Rechenkraft! Happen to know how often they update their stats?

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Seems that one "line" takes about 2 minutes to comlete on a Athlon XP 1800.

*edit* 3 lines a minute

Death
02-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by magnav0x
Seems that one "line" takes about 2 minutes to comlete on a Athlon XP 1800.

*edit* 3 lines a minute

as you can see with the time WU goes larger and larger....
first they give 4 lines, then 8 lines and 12 lines etc....

so we needed topic for this project. At least team FreeDC presented at stats. =))

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm a bit disappointed they don't put what time the stats update on their page. But other than that it's a stable client (text client) and the GUI for the project is made by Jeff Gilchrist, so it's a lot like running ECC2 or DF :D. The frontend is reporting 4,320 lines a day on the Athlon XP 1800.

Supp
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
1,4 minutes on AthlonXP-3000.
Good project, but permanent connection is a minus.
Worthy our interest, nevertheless. :)

Death
02-27-2004, 05:38 PM
Jeff is definitely "must have" for any project.
His GUI is awesome =)))

btw, there is a near end of NFSNET current project. 90% is done.

btw, can anybody from offical staff write a letter for NFSNET admins and discuss some *official* nfsnet forum here.
they don't have one!!

PY 222
02-27-2004, 06:13 PM
Its nearly 90% done?

Then what are we doing this project if they are going to be done soon?

Death
02-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by PY 222
Its nearly 90% done?

Then what are we doing this project if they are going to be done soon?

there so many big factors to be factored...
just check another topic in this forum (NFSNET)

they factored 2^711 or something. now doing 2^811
than it'll be 2^123123 or something....

PY 222
02-27-2004, 06:43 PM
Oh, I see and understand now.

The current factor is 90% done but once its done, the Project will move to a different factor right!

Questions: Is this in Beta? Will they wipe out the stats once each factor has been factored?

Death
02-27-2004, 07:20 PM

The current factor is 90% done but once its done, the Project will move to a different factor right!

Questions: Is this in Beta? Will they wipe out the stats once each factor has been factored?

ermmmm... you're Californian, right?

check their site please...

http://www.nfsnet.org/status.html

I think this will answer...

PS and no, client is version 1.0 betas are still for Mac and Solaris.

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 08:30 PM
I sent a request to the guy that runs the overall distributed computing raking system to see if we could get this project added. So rack up the points!

Wacky
02-27-2004, 08:31 PM

That is correct. We generally have only one major project at a time, but the switch to the next project is automatic. The servers simply send out assignments for the next number to be factored and each client fetches the appropriate parameter file and continues to sieve.

Is this in Beta?
Not any longer. However, we have not gotten the release client for MacOSX or Solaris posted yet. But it is fine to use the previous client. The computation program is the same and the communications client is missing only a few features.

Will they wipe out the stats once each factor has been factored?
Yes, and No. When we start a new factorization, we start a new set of stats. However, we still keep the previous ones. The web site is being upgraded and one thing we intend to add is a cumulative participation list. So don't hold off joining just because you won't make the top 10 on our current project. Any effort that you contribute now will add to your overall total.

Besides, we are not far from switching to the next project. You would not want to be late starting on it.

Richard
The NFSNET Factoring Group
"Our prime goal is to make little numbers out of big ones"

Death
02-27-2004, 08:36 PM
heyya!

is you a guy behind join@nfsnet.org?

just wrote a message....

and what's 'bout installing client on 20+ boxes?

Wacky
02-27-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Death
heyya!

is you a guy behind join@nfsnet.org?

I prefer to think that I'm ahead of it :)

and what's 'bout installing client on 20+ boxes?

Our messages crossed. If you have 20 boxes under the supervision of one individual, we would like to see that they all end up in the same pool.

Please respond to the e-mail reply that I just sent.

Richard

PY 222
02-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Wacky, you know that Free-DC provide forum hosting for projects that don't have a forum.

If you like, you can email one of the Administrators here and they'll be more than happy to set a forum up for you.

Just a thought. ;)

Death
02-27-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Wacky
I prefer to think that I'm ahead of it :)

Our messages crossed. If you have 20 boxes under the supervision of one individual, we would like to see that they all end up in the same pool.

Please respond to the e-mail reply that I just sent.

Richard

well met!

I'd prefer to discuss such questions here.
Someone can find an useful information behind our chatting.

As for
We ask that you contact us so that we can help make sure that you are getting everything working well, that we get your machines assigned to an appropriate server, and that we don't unexpectedly overload any one server.

You mean this server-
assignmentserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/Version_1_0/Registrar.cgi
libraryserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/Version_1_0/Librarian.cgi
resultsserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/UnregisteredClient
?

well. right now I'm doing ecc2-109, don't want to switch when the end is near.
after that I planning to do something 'bout 17oB! but they don't work through firewall. =(

And back to proxy. If you ever doing RC5 or OGR or some other projects you must know about "project proxies". d.NET clients can connect through standart http proxy but you can install d.net proxyper and connect all clients to it. And proxyper connect's to d.NET keyserver and distribute keys for clients. Ecc2-109 proxy just collect WU at single computer, 'cause clients required direct connect to internet and hate proxies.
So I mean something like this. Just don't want all boxens connect to internet every few minutes. BIG BOSS is watchin' (one eye).

And for *official* forum. You must seen four such forums at the end of Forums page.
Feel free to contact admin's... =)))

Wacky
02-27-2004, 09:27 PM
well met!

I'd prefer to discuss such questions here.
Someone can find an useful information behind our chatting.

As they would on the nfsnet-l mailing list or the NFSNET Discussion Forum on www/mersenneforum.org/ or ....

Too many forums cause everyone to miss out.

As for

You mean this server-
assignmentserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/Version_1_0/Registrar.cgi
libraryserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/Version_1_0/Librarian.cgi
resultsserver http://Initial.Server.NFSNet.Org/NFSNET/UnregisteredClient
?

No. The initial server will handle some registration details and then transfer you to another server to actually do the sieving work.

If we need to do something special for you, like assuring that you are assigned to a particular pool, we will change the initial contact point to take care of things.

And back to proxy. If you ever doing RC5

Not back when I tried it.

And proxyper connect's to d.NET keyserver and distribute keys for clients. ...
Oh, we call that a secondary server. It's in the works, but not yet ready for testing.

BIG BOSS is watchin' (one eye).
Perhaps you should not participate in our project. If you don't own the computer and don't have the permission of the owner to use it in this manner, we could both get into some serious legal trouble.

And for *official* forum. You must seen four such forums at the end of Forums page.
Feel free to contact admin's... =)))

Thanks for the offer. I'll discuss it with the others.

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 09:55 PM
I stopped the client and and started it back up and I get this:

02:58:18 NFSNET Client - V 1.0
02:58:18 Initializing...
02:58:18 Initialized.
02:58:18 Requesting assignment...
02:58:19 Received assignment ( IDLE 0-0)...

It just sits there and does nothing. I've left it open for 30 minutes.

willy1
02-27-2004, 10:07 PM
er - hey guys

We seem to have two teams going FreeDC (wirthi, Hydra Central, and Supp) and Free DC (IB and PCZ).

Can someone decide which is the real one, and get everyone pointed in the same direction?

willy1
02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
I stopped the client and and started it back up and I get this:

02:58:18 NFSNET Client - V 1.0
02:58:18 Initializing...
02:58:18 Initialized.
02:58:18 Requesting assignment...
02:58:19 Received assignment ( IDLE 0-0)...

It just sits there and does nothing. I've left it open for 30 minutes.

Didn't leave a stop.txt file in there somewhere?

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Nope

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 10:29 PM
03:33:08 NFSNET Client - V 1.0
03:33:08 Initializing...
03:33:08 Initialized.
03:33:08 Requesting assignment...
03:33:08 Received assignment (Longhorn 2_811M_1 45284594-45284595)...
03:33:08 Building .in file...
03:33:08 Updating project .in file with assigned range...
03:33:08 Launching siever...
decread_slong: Illegal characters in input
03:33:09 Siever finished...
03:33:09 Submitting results...
03:33:09 Results successfully submitted...
03:33:09 Requesting assignment...
03:33:09 Received assignment ( IDLE 0-0)...

Uhoh, think they can merge our two teams together?

Wacky
02-27-2004, 10:53 PM
03:33:08 NFSNET Client - V 1.0
03:33:08 Launching siever...
decread_slong: Illegal characters in input
03:33:09 Siever finished...

You have something wrong in your files.
Please reinstall the entire NFSNET client package and try again.

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Already did, it's going along happily again. Wacky, when we get all our teammates on the same page using the same team name in their clients is there a way we can have the teams merged? Or does the stats system transfer all points to the new team name when they change the team in their client?

PCZ
02-28-2004, 12:22 AM
So we have got 2 teams :rotfl:

I put Free-DC in as the team and I guess IB did the same.
Obviously the - is replaced by a space.

I checked out this Forum (http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17) good info in there.

"Stats are normally updated daily, a short time after 01:00 UT. During the winter, that's the same time as GMT, it's 2am Central European Time and 8pm the previous day on the east coast of the US. Add an hour in the summer.

The reason for choosing 1am is that NFSNET works exclusively on UT time. At 00:00 each day the task allocation servers create a new directory and send all incoming information to files held in there. Around 00:15 (a pause to ensure the dust has settled), they then perform various housekeeping tasks, which includes creating a summary of the previous days results and sending it off to the central stats server. The stats server waits until around 01:00 to ensure the summaries have arrived from all the servers before collating them and making overall stats available on the web page."

wirthi
02-28-2004, 03:09 AM
When I joined yesterday there was a Free-DC team namend "FreeDC" (only member: Supp), so I joined that one. Had thought the others would do so too ;)

I've got no problems changing my teamname. Would be great if stats could be transfered, on the other hand it's only work worth less than one day.

Wirthi

PCZ
02-28-2004, 05:30 AM
I will be trying the client out on some of my linux nodes later today.
The size of the work directories is worrying, the NFS server isn't going to like it much I'm sure.

I will put FreeDC {without the -} in as the team name.

Wacky
02-28-2004, 06:43 AM
When we get all our teammates on the same page using the same team name in their clients is there a way we can have the teams merged?

I can be bought :)
Seriously, we will figure out a way to accomplish it.

Or does the stats system transfer all points to the new team name when they change the team in their client?
Changing the info in the client is just one step. Then we have to get you re-registered (it isn't automatic). It will probably be easier for me to simply change the registration records that we already have. Ie. I can replace Team X with Team Y. So decide what Team name you want to be the official one for the future and then let me know the alternate spellings that I will change.

If the change is obvious, eg "Team X" vs "TeamX", I'll do it. Otherwise, I may want to demand individual verification.

wirthi
02-28-2004, 07:03 AM
I can be bought :)
Seriously, we will figure out a way to accomplish it.

Changing the info in the client is just one step. Then we have to get you re-registered (it isn't automatic). It will probably be easier for me to simply change the registration records that we already have. Ie. I can replace Team X with Team Y. So decide what Team name you want to be the official one for the future and then let me know the alternate spellings that I will change.

If the change is obvious, eg "Team X" vs "TeamX", I'll do it. Otherwise, I may want to demand individual verification. As far as I see "FreeDC" is the prefered name now. Since PCZ wrote he would use that name in the future, only IronBits is using the other version ("Free-DC").

PCZ
02-28-2004, 07:04 AM
Ideally the team name should be Free-DC, but it would appear that the - is a problem and results in a space in the name. {Free-DC becomes Free DC}

Our second choice of name is FreeDC, used in other projects which dont allow - in names.

Wacky
02-28-2004, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
Ideally the team name should be Free-DC

Our second choice of name is FreeDC

I changed all of the records to "FreeDC". They should show up tonight.

If, at some future time, our implementation changes and will allow additional characters in the names, we can do a global change of the past history.

PCZ
02-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Thanks Wacky :cheers:

Digital Parasite
02-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Wow Wacky, you found this forum pretty quickly.

I guess I forgot to post here about the 1.0 release of NFSNET but I'm glad you FreeDC people found it anyway.

As someone else mentioned we already have an *official* forum here:
http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

You also might not want to miss being on the mailing list:
http://www.nfsnet.org/join.html

Jeff.

willy1
03-01-2004, 12:03 AM
No stats update today ????

Death
03-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Digital Parasite
Wow Wacky, you found this forum pretty quickly.

I guess I forgot to post here about the 1.0 release of NFSNET but I'm glad you FreeDC people found it anyway.

As someone else mentioned we already have an *official* forum here:
http://www.mersenneforum.org/forumdisplay.php?f=17

You also might not want to miss being on the mailing list:
http://www.nfsnet.org/join.html

Jeff.

Hi Jeff.

Remember me from ecc2-109?
Too bad there's something wrong with it.

Nice to see you around. And thanks for nfs2gui.

There so much projects need *2gui... =)))

PCZ
03-01-2004, 09:52 AM
So what happened to the stats update last night ?

Wacky
03-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
So what happened to the stats?

We gave up stats for Lent.

Actually, one of the key servers was relocated over the weekend and that delayed the posting.

magnav0x
03-01-2004, 12:23 PM
I got a response from Dave over at the DC Repository. Seems he has his hands full this week, but he will see about adding NFSNET this comming weekend.

PCZ
03-02-2004, 04:07 PM
"Ah, must catch up with Rechenkraft!"

Been there done that !!

magnav0x
03-02-2004, 05:34 PM
No kidding PCZ, you could have passed them and almost doubled them with just your own production :thumbs:

Death
03-03-2004, 04:31 AM
ermm...

seems that introdusing NFSNET here add some computing power to project.
just look at the stats!

so a few days left to finish current task.

whats next?

Wacky
03-03-2004, 07:44 AM
so a few days left to finish current task.

whats next?

Not quite.

We're done!
In the next couple hours, we will have collected the currently running tasks and begin filtering.

The servers are now handing out assignments on 10_223P.
In Cunningham notation that is 10,223+.
Or 10^223 + 1

Xilman
03-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Not quite.

We're done!
In the next couple hours, we will have collected the currently running tasks and begin filtering.

The servers are now handing out assignments on 10_223P.
In Cunningham notation that is 10,223+.
Or 10^223 + 1
The information that we have enough relations came as quite a surprise this morning. A day ago it looked as if we'd need another 2 days sieving. An overnight run of the filtering program showed that we have enough, so Wacky and I have been in overdrive the last five hours or so, putting the old project to bed (at least as far as the sievers are concerned) and getting the new show on the road.

Once all the "stragglers", the relations that are currently being found by the clients finishing off their final tasks on 2_811M, are over in Cambridge there will be another period of very hevy number crunching and data munging before we can announce the factors. Expect it to take at least 2 weeks and quite possibly twice that. Post-processing is somewhat non-trivial.

Paul

Death
03-03-2004, 09:44 AM
Is it safe to delete 2_811M_1 folder?

It's over 100M!

Wacky
03-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Is it safe to delete 2_811M_1 folder?

It's over 100M!

Yes, you may delete the 2_811M_1 folder and any others in the projects folder EXCEPT the 10_223P_? and the pool folders.

If you are currently running a Windows system and are still in the Cantab pool, PLEASE upgrade to the new version 1.0 release.

Death
03-03-2004, 10:27 AM
Yes, you may delete the 2_811M_1 folder and any others in the projects folder EXCEPT the 10_223P_? and the pool folders.

If you are currently running a Windows system and are still in the Cantab pool, PLEASE upgrade to the new version 1.0 release.

ofcourse I left current project folders. I'm not an idiot.

And why'd you think I'm using a Cantab pool?
nfsnet-04020-x86-Win32 - AFAIK is 1.0 release.

PS don't want to sound too mean.
tired to death with this moron users. when I ask them to reboot computer, they merely press RESET. Dumbest creatures I've ever seen.

Wacky
03-03-2004, 10:38 AM
ofcourse I left current project folders. I'm not an idiot.

And why'd you think I'm using a Cantab pool?
nfsnet-04020-x86-Win32 - AFAIK is 1.0 release.

PS don't want to sound too mean.
tired to death with this moron users. when I ask them to reboot computer, they merely press RESET. Dumbest creatures I've ever seen.

The comments were NOT directed at you individually. But there are a number of sievers still running in Cantab and I have previously encountered the "idiot" behavior also. I felt that it is better to be explicit. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Richard

Death
03-03-2004, 10:46 AM
The comments were NOT directed at you individually. But there are a number of sievers still running in Cantab and I have previously encountered the "idiot" behavior also. I felt that it is better to be explicit. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Richard

okay.

1. why do you don't send them e-mail?
2. why client doesn't remove previous folders? they are sooooooo big. if they were < 1 Mb, I didn't care. but 100M... :rolleyes:

yeah. users usually do silly things and dont understand why are you so upset when you see how they turn off computers not by start - shutdown but simply pressing power button. and then you got to reinstall their goddamn MuStdie'98.

no offends. :cheers:

Xilman
03-03-2004, 12:20 PM
okay.

2. why client doesn't remove previous folders? they are sooooooo big. if they were < 1 Mb, I didn't care. but 100M... :rolleyes:

The main reason is that some times we re-visit a project for some reason -- not quite enough work done perhaps, or perhaps we're running more than one project at once and any given client may switch between them. We wouldn't want to flush files too early as they take quite a while to build.

But, yes, it is a hassle having to delete the files by hand. We'll think about how best to alleviate the hassle.

Paul

Death
03-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Xilman
The main reason is that some times we re-visit a project for some reason -- not quite enough work done perhaps, or perhaps we're running more than one project at once and any given client may switch between them. We wouldn't want to flush files too early as they take quite a while to build.

But, yes, it is a hassle having to delete the files by hand. We'll think about how best to alleviate the hassle.

Paul

well. server can say to client that project is done. and client kills unnecessary dirs.
as for long time to build - what is more important for user - 5 minutes or 100 Mb? I dunno.

that's not a big hassle. just pressing one button.
:trash: :rotfl:

PCZ
03-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Have we given up already?

Stats (http://www.nfsnet.org/stats2/statsreporter.cgi?template=index.html&project=10_223P)

Digital Parasite
03-04-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by PCZ

Yeah, you guys better get some more borgs, those independent users are kicking your butts! :thumbs: ;)

PY 222
03-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by PCZ

Stats (http://www.nfsnet.org/stats2/statsreporter.cgi?template=index.html&project=10_223P)

PCZ, are you the only one in the team?

Where are the rest of the guys?