PDA

View Full Version : aerocool ht-101 0wn3d!!

rofn
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
well, my old cpu cooler was a thermaltake volcano 9+ with ducting mod...

since my dad spend me his "old" xp2200 sys and i decided to switch my old xp2000 to my linux workstation i needed a new cpu cooler....

so i went through all the reviews & tests...
at last there were 2 coolers over that would fit my needs
thermalright heatpipe version (dunno the # anymore)
aerocool ht-101

so finaly i ordered a aerocool ht-101 on monday...got the package on thursday and after one day i can give you a small review....

well, what could i say else....this cooler is awesome...

my current box is a:

epox ep8rda+ nforce 2
xp2200+ throughbred
512mb dual channel ddr
geforce4 ti4200

the new cooler:
http://members.nextra.at/rofo/11/PICT0963.JPG
uv-active cooler cage & blue led fan:
http://members.nextra.at/rofo/11/PICT0961.JPG

and now the temps:
cpu idle temp: 34°C
cpu 100% temp: 38°C

i think these temps say everything...i use an arctic silver 5 thermal compound which usually should get to work good after about 72 hours ore more & cool down another 2 to 5°C and this effect even didn't start yet...

so if anyone is really in need of cpu cooling power, i really can say that this is probably the best cooler for socket-a/478 at the moment....even in all tests i read it breaks the thermalright coolers for #1....and the best thing on it, the fan, which is included only runs @ 2600rpm max....i wonder what happens when i install a faster fan...

at last...a picture of my case-mod...lots of uv-active in there...i just love uv light :)
http://members.nextra.at/rofo/11/PICT0960.JPG
sorry for the mirror effect of my monitor :rolleyes:
greets
rofn

magnav0x
02-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Wow that thing is a bit intimidating :shocked:

PY 222
02-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Wowie.. .just lookie at all that fancy lighting.

So, does it make the CPU go any faster?

Just kidding. :D

MerePeer
02-28-2004, 12:02 PM
Those pix are awesome. Nice job.

How much did it cost?
Does it need alot of power or any special power connections?

the-mk
02-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by MerePeer
Those pix are awesome. Nice job.

How much did it cost?
Does it need alot of power or any special power connections?

Costs about 50 Euro. I guess that there are no special power connections needed... It's the 3-pin molex-connector for the mainboards or the 4-pin connectors where you connect your hdd and cd-roms... and it will use the same power other usual fans are using...

rofn
02-29-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by the-mk
Costs about 50 Euro. I guess that there are no special power connections needed... It's the 3-pin molex-connector for the mainboards or the 4-pin connectors where you connect your hdd and cd-roms... and it will use the same power other usual fans are using...

yepp, 3 pin molex...no problem to connect it on the mainboard since its only a 2600rpm fan...

greets
rofn

the-mk
02-29-2004, 05:33 AM
Does this fan make a lot of noise?

Do you run it in 12V-mode or do you run it in lower voltages?

What temperatures did you have with the old Thermaltake Vulcano?

magicfan241
02-29-2004, 07:45 AM
33C!!!

Wow!

My computer sounds like a plane at takeoff and is currently at 67C. And it is only a AXP2000+

I need to get a fan setup like that!

magicfan241

the-mk
02-29-2004, 09:20 AM
I hope you know that there is a difference between CPU diode temperature and CPU socket temperature!

My AMD XP2600 has about 41 degrees C on the CPU diode and 58 degrees C at the socket (all temps with Motherboard Monitor 5.3.5.0 on an ASUS A7V8X) with a Thermalright SK7 and a 80 mm YS-Tech fan. For a good airflow in the case are a 92mm Papst fan on the front (blowing into the case) and a 120mm Papst fan on the back of the case (sucking hot air out of the case).

Thor
02-29-2004, 10:21 AM
There is also a difference between the different AMD-cpu types...

The older Palominos and I think the T-breds seem to run a lot hotter than the newer Bartons ....

My XP 1800 (Palomino) runs at 58-60°C under full load with an Alpha Pal 8045 and 120mm fan... there are also 2 80mm fans in the case plus the ones in the NT....
So the case temp is only 27°C but the XP's can do up to 80°C without trouble...
I had mine run at 70°C for weeks....

@the-mk
I stil wonder how your socket temp can be higher than you diode temp...usually it is the other way round...
Maybe ASUS is just adding quite some degrees to the socket temp via the BIOS... so that they are on the safe side....
Could be quite different after a BIOS update...

Greets Thor

the-mk
02-29-2004, 11:45 AM
The diffent types of AMD XPs:

The good old Palominos were built in the 0.18µm technology. They got about 256 kB Cache. I had a XP2000.

Then there are the Thoroughbreds. They were built with the new 0.13µm technology, had lower power consumpion and didn't get as hot as the Palominos. At the moment I have a XP2600 running.

At least there are the Bartons. Built with 0.13µm and got about 512 kB Cache. They shouldn't get as hot as the Thoroughbreds, because there is a bigger area that has contact to the heatsink. The bigger area is because of the additional 256 kB Cache. My sister has a XP2500 running atm...

And the Bartons have a different real-MHz/performance-rating ratio. A Thoroughbred 2600+ has real 2083 MHz, but a Barton 2600+ has real 1916 MHz. That's because of the additional Cache.

(Correct me if I wrote bullshit)

@Thor:
First I had the XP2000 on the ASUS A7V8X, then I bought the XP2600, installed it and it showed up as a XP2000 in the BIOS ans Windows System Info. After some time I installed the BIOS-update #1013 and the XP2600 showed up correctly in BIOS. Some time ago I looked at the ASUS-website for a new BIOS-version, but the #1013 is the newest available.

I know that every mainboard manufactor "cooks its own soup" with the cpu-temperature and adds some degrees.

rofn
02-29-2004, 03:02 PM
@ the-mk

aerocool says 22dba @ 2600rpm

5-12V 1577-2596 rpm
since i got it connected to my w-force superpanel (fan control)...
usually it is running @ full speed since its less noisy than my case fans which are noiseblocker s4
my case is a casetek c1018 with matching side panel & window with 7 fans in it (2 front, 2 side, 2 back, 1 top)

the old volcano was about 41°C - 42°C with an arctic silver 3
with a standard thermal compound (silicon based) it was about 46 - 47°C
and without the ducting mod about 1 to 2°C more...

so its not just the cooler itself as you see...i would say a good thermal compound like my new arctic silver 5 (btw. the effect i talked about has started i now got about 2°C less :D) is the A & O of good cooling....

before i forget room temperature here is always about 23 - 24°C
i didn't have to heat in winter, cause my apartment is located on top (roof heats up real good) but in summertime its really hot...if this summer will be as hot as the last i'll probably go and buy an air condition... :rolleyes:

i'm also measuring with motherboard monitor but i can't select the diodes under the temperature settings :( dunno why this won't work? is this some feature only asus got? ( too lazy to read the docs ;) )

there is always cost of mhz if you want more cache, fsb
e.g.
xp3000 barton 166mhz 2166mhz
xp3000 barton 200mz 2100mhz
both @ 512kb cache

in summer there will be my next upgrade i think...
i wonder if i should upgrade to a xp3000 with 200mhz fsb & corsair 1gb pc3200 Low Latency
or even to a new sys (mainboard, cpu, ram) with a opteron / 64 / 64fx

i'm not really convinced to go back to intel yet...

greets
rofn