PDA

View Full Version : Monitor local pcs

MerePeer
03-05-2004, 05:53 PM
Here's a pic of what I'm putting together to monitor local pcs. It updates the grid #s every 10 secs by looking at the progress.txt files, and accumulates points after each Gen, giving a more complete point total since it reflects all pcs points.

It needs the MS .Net framework (1.1) installed, and each pc being monitored must have its progress.txt accessible by the one running the monitor, i.e. if you can browse to file:\\machinename\sharename\distribfold\progress.txt then it will find it.

QIbHom
03-05-2004, 11:48 PM
I don't mean to sound snarky, MerePeer, but there are a lot of folks crunching for DF who don't use Windows. Might it not make a bit more sense to use something portable, like java, to accomodate those who use Mac, OS/2, Linux, BSD, BeOS, Solaris or whatever? Personally, I have clients running on 3 different OSs, not counting different versions, at 4 different physical locations.

Of course, I'm not your target audience, and third party apps should be encouraged.

bwkaz
03-06-2004, 08:56 AM
www.go-mono.org

can run .Net apps on Linux at least (and probably the *BSD's also, though from their page it sounds like it depends more on your processor than your OS?).

QIbHom
03-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Thank you, bwkaz. I'll check it out. I suspect, though, that I'd sooner run IE than install .net.

And that still doesn't help the Mac, OS/2 (although OS/2 runs unix apps well), BeOS and other minority OS folks.

I am an old Novell fan, but C# just doesn't make sense to me. Then again, I'm not sure I like C++, either. I should probably stick to system administration, and stay away from programming flame wars <g>.

MerePeer
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Yes I see your point re: portability. My immediate focus was (a) get something working and (b) improve C# skills. Finished that.

I'd say only about 2 weeks left for this DF protein anyway so the app is basically throw-away code. From this thread there isn't much interest in this type of app anyway.

Mono looks like good stuff, but isn't complete yet (windows forms).

You are right, best portability prob. is java app; perhaps also as java applet embeddded on web page (which would require .security install changes on monitor machine to support net activity to other machines). I will rewrite using java (swing).

I'm going to think about how best to get the information from the other machines. Since we can't rely on \\machinename UNC access from unix (I don't think), we could consider NFS mounting the other machines from the monitoring machine but that sounds like too much install action. Could design it as a "pushing" activity/daemon to push the progress files from the remote to the monitoring machine -- but that isn't as good because I like to have a check for the foldtrajlite.lock file too; probably would make it "pull" by using anonymous ftp to the remote machines -- but can't assume anon. ftp is enabled on win2k/xp boxen; might have to be multi-method specified during app config. Design thoughts welcome.

QIbHom
03-06-2004, 01:07 PM
Hmm...UNC isn't universal. NFS mounting requires opening up a security hole. ftp is a *huge* security hole.

How about using SSH or some kind of tunnelling to get the progress.txt file? That could be done securely, and I think SSH is available for a number of OSs these days. That would permit explicit allowances to specific IP addresses.

I'm a little leery of java applets, since they tend to be on the slow side. Still, I've gotten over my hate of web-based interfaces since I started playing with webmin.

Of course, if one wished to be truly baroque and masochistic, how about making a webmin-type interface, with plugins for each df project? And, yes, I'm joking.

the-mk
03-06-2004, 01:38 PM
A good way to monitor multiple df-clients on different OSes and different machines would be two java apps.

App1: Sits at the df-client, reports the progress, is looking for the foldtrajlite.lock and whatever and sends this all via TCP/IP to a specified IP (where App2 is sitting)

App2: Is something like the CB MOC of chessbrain. Accepts connections, gets the data from App1 and displays it... so you could monitor machines over the net...

I'm just too lazy to implement that :rolleyes:

bwkaz
03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by MerePeer
Mono looks like good stuff, but isn't complete yet (windows forms). According to http://www.go-mono.com/class-status-System.Windows.Forms.html, the System.Windows.Forms namespace is 69% finished. That's 69% of the methods and attributes that have implementations -- and the weak point is definitely attributes. Most of the "missing" classes are actually attributes, which is not usually a problem.

There are also some TODO's (about as many as the unimplemented's) in the classes.

Since we can't rely on \\machinename UNC access from unix (I don't think), Not as such. You could require the user to mount (via Samba) the directory they wanted to monitor, but ... ugh. ;)

Design thoughts welcome. When I was trying to get dfGUI for Linux to be network transparent, this was what I was doing -- basically, it's like the-mk's solution. I wrote a separate program (dfGUIsrv is what I think I called it) that ran on the remote box, and listened on some port above 49152. Then dfGUI would talk to that port and ask for the progress, ask for the amount of time the client had been running, tell dfGUIsrv to stop/start it, etc.

I ended up trashing the whole idea, though, since the network transparency of X allows a cleaner solution. You run dfGUI for Linux on the machine you want to monitor, but with the display exported to your local machine. That way you see the GUI locally, but you're monitoring a different box. The only problem is that it requires Gtk2 on the remote boxen (which might not even have X if they're servers), but oh well. Of course, I'm not sure how this would apply to your program, since you want it to work on Windows also... hmm.

PCZ
03-06-2004, 01:46 PM
MerePeer

Don't reinvent the wheel.

DCmonitor does what you are trying to do, and supports lots of projects not just DF.
dcmonitor (http://www.bluetentacle.co.uk/dcmonitor/)

MerePeer
03-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Yes I think that the "push" of info from the df-running machines to the df-monitoring machine sounds like less hassle then trying to install more pkgs like ssh on multiple O/S ( although it might involve installing the JRE). It is also consistent with the way the DF client itself operates (opening a socket and sending info periodically), and so would likely be 'acceptable' to administrators who otherwise might not want to install non-DF-client software on their boxen (maybe best if this was a script instead of an app, so they had comfort reading the source before running it).

The df-monitor machine could consider the 'absence' of recent updates from a particular machine as suspect; reason to flag the monitor grid row.

Potentially I could use UDP since we don't really care about the lost packets/ most recent info is in latest packet.:idea:

pfb
03-06-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
MerePeer

Don't reinvent the wheel.

DCmonitor does what you are trying to do, and supports lots of projects not just DF.
dcmonitor (http://www.bluetentacle.co.uk/dcmonitor/)

So does dfMon (http://wibble.bounceme.net/DD/DF/dfMon/) (more DF orientatd than DCMon...)

MerePeer
03-06-2004, 02:10 PM
PCZ

First, thx for pointing that site out to me. I may use it for the other projects.

I think there are three issues with DCMonitor re: DF reporting, but correct me if I missed something in my 2 minute analysis :)

1) Not portable to unix. It appears to only be a windows exe. This was the complaint above.

2) Fileshare dependent. It appears to rely on fileshares to obtain access to the other directories.

3) Two functionality items I like in my app: the inline progress bars for gen and structure, and the accumulated points calc lets me see an estimate of points submitted (basically just adds the gen points when it sees the gen go up 1).

Granted the DCMonitor has other benefits like multi-project, no .NET reqd, more stats (best energy etc), html capability, nice web site...

bwkaz
03-06-2004, 03:26 PM
(maybe best if this was a script instead of an app, so they had comfort reading the source before running it). if you're worried about that, you could release an app with its source...

pizzaking
03-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by the-mk
App1: Sits at the df-client, reports the progress, is looking for the foldtrajlite.lock and whatever and sends this all via TCP/IP to a specified IP (where App2 is sitting)

App2: Is something like the CB MOC of chessbrain. Accepts connections, gets the data from App1 and displays it... so you could monitor machines over the net...

Interesting that you should meantion this as its a similar idea to what I've been playing around with for a while now as the basis for DCMonitor v2. This would allow for the monitoring of any client on anywhere, on any OS, using an application on any OS (in theory).

Unfortunately I havent the time to play around with this idea at the moment as I'm rapidly approaching the end of my university degree.

pfb
03-07-2004, 04:03 PM
That's also what I'm working on with dfMon (see here (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=47016#post47016)) - although I am going to use XML and have that passed to a 'master' dfMon from all the 'slave' dfMons...

(as I said in that post way back in October last year, the idea came from CB :))

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 10:05 AM
OK I have a working proto, on windows. I'd like to know if it works under unix, any takers?

Architecture:
- all java, using 1.4.2. (also, wont work with 1.3 jre).
- monitoring application, DFMonitor, displays UI and has a second thread listening on a port for UDP "datagrams" from crunching machines. If it hasn't seen the machine before, it adds it to the list. It has a couple options to initialize your point total displayed, which is then incremented as machines pass gen 250.
- crunching machines run client application, DFMonitorClient (no UI) which collects progress info and sends datagram to monitor app host&port. Configurable port, refresh interval.

A few issues outstanding still + I have to run for a few hours, be back this afternoon. Here's pic.

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 11:55 AM
MerePeer, I can do testing on Linux, if you like. I have a test box for just this kind of thing. I'll be running around most of today, but should have some time late this evening.

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Client:
* you only need DFMonitorClient.class on the crunching client, plus java 1.4.2, although if you have 1.4.1 its worth trying before upgrading
* the client must be launched from your distribfold dir until I add a param for the dirname (i.e. its looking for progress.txt local), but you don't have to put the .class file there.
* If your .class file was in a dir called "\dfm", then you would start with:
java -cp \dfm DFMonitorClient -monitor {hostname of machine running DFMonitor}
* If your .class file was in the distribfold dir you could elimate the "-cp \dfm"
* If your .class file was over on the monitor machine and your client had a sharemount then you wouldnt need to copy the client to every cruncher and I don't think (jre implementation) this requires any file I/O after the initial startup/access of the .class file, you could use:
java -cp \\monitormachine\dfm DFMonitorClient -monitor monitormachine
* optional args for client:
-name {name you want displayed}
-port {port on monitor machine you'd rather use, default is 5030}
-timer {# of seconds for each progress grab and send, default is 6}
-debug

Monitor:
* you need the rest of the *.class files on the monitor machine
* start it with: java DFMonitor
* optional args for monitor:
-port {port # to use, default is 5030}
-timer {# of seconds for each UI refresh, unrelated to client timer}
* col. headers can be resized and moved. Clicking header sorts, reverse sorts, unsorts. Ctrl-click header adds second sort (struct within gen).
* the Update points option is looking for your uid from http://anteater.blueprint.org/teampages/team5.txt so it can grab your points as of the last 2-hour refresh

Known bug:
- {monitor} seems the sorting code (grabbed from nother website) hits a startup problem, but not consistently. Appears as a stack trace in console, something about modelIndex.

Unknown:
- {client} I think progress.txt is being opened "allow modify", i.e. not locking out the DF folding activity, but the javadoc for FileReader doesnt specify. I need to run more tests to confirm there is no sharing violations possible.

You can pm me if you think we should do this offline.

Source code included case ya dont trust it.

I'll be adding Set#, Buffered gens, and datetime last updated cols next.
Guess I should add -dfdir arg for client too.

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 08:09 PM
I replaced the attachment in the prior reply w/version 002.

Client chg: added an optional client arg "-dfdir {distribfold directory}". Now you can run the client from any dir on the crunchin machine.

Monitor chgs:
1) added display columns:
> # of sets (1 set=250 gens),
> buffered gens,
> date&time of last datagram/update from machine

2) new sorting approach for col. header click, to avoid that pesky error. Don't have an icon on the col. header yet; can only sort single cols for now. First click ascending, second click switches to descending.

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 09:19 PM
Silly question, MerePeer. Is that zip file for unix testers? If so, I'll try to play with it before bed.

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 09:26 PM
hmm yes the contents are good for unix but I think you need a tar or tar.gz file, then?

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 09:41 PM
No, I should be able to handle a zip file. I think I've got the right software installed, and, if not, apt-get is my buddy.

Will download it and give it a shot.

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 09:49 PM
When I go to start it up on the client, I get an error message.

To start it up, from my distribfold directory (the zip file was decompressed into the distribfold directory), I used:

java -cp DFMonitorClient -monitor loptr

Returned was :

Unrecognized option: -monitor
Could not create the Java virtual machine.

I'm probably doing something stupid here. Let me play around a bit.

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 09:57 PM
First, type "java -version". That will tell you if you have it installed and accessible if you dont get an error and you do get the version msg.

Then, since everything is in the same dir:

java DFMonitorClient -name thisbox -monitor loptr

{I'll sit in chat till 10:15, then gotta go.}

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Some progress, kind of...

If I use :

java DFMonitorClient -monitorname loptr

It returns:

DFMonitorClient v0.02
3/21/04 9:57:03 PM: ERROR, Fatal error connecting to loptr
java.net.UnknownHostException: loptr: loptr

Obviously, my firewall is blocking communication between my two computers, or something. Let me see if I can straighten that out.

MerePeer
03-21-2004, 10:11 PM
Looks like a "your network config" issue. Can you ping loptr from that computer?
If not, then use the I/P number:
java DFMonitorClient -monitor 192.168.1.2 -name thislinuxbox

In the meantime if you cant get it working across computers, then another worthwhile test would be to just run both client and monitor on the one box.

start the client:
java DFMonitorClient -monitor localhost -name thislinuxbox

nother shell, start the monitor:
java DFMonitor

PS those .class files will work on any platform, so another good test would be Linux client and Windows monitor.

Gotta run. Will check in AM.

Thanks alot for your help. I'm working on getting a spare harddrive to install&boot Linux on.

QIbHom
03-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Success!

I used :

java DFMonitorClient -monitorname [ip address of host]

And it ran!

I then tried to update points from my monitor pc. I put in my entire ID, and got an error message that user #8 (the first character of my ID) could not be found.

Great work, MerePeer. I'm thrilled that you are making something cross-platform.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to test Windows with Linux, not without some major dinking of both my firewall (possible) and the work firewall (not bloody likely they'd let me). If no one else can do it, I'll try to borrow a friend's ancient Windows 98 laptop, which probably isn't good enough to run DF, and see if I can get it working.

Sorry I couldn't get to this earlier.

rofn
03-22-2004, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by QIbHom

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to test Windows with Linux

I can do that...but first i have to build another box up and switching some hardware on my current ones...install slackware (my 3rd linux box then)....dfq on my network...and then i could try it out if time is my friend...

greets
rofn

MerePeer
03-22-2004, 06:54 AM
That's good news fer sure.

Too bad about the firewalls. If there was only one firewall, say on the Windows machine, I believe you could run the client there and have it send its updates over to the Linux box running the monitor. I.e. the firewall prevents incoming, not outgoing.
Also if your firewall allows incoming activity for a different port by default, you could try overriding the one used by both client and monitor with the -port [portno] arg (I restrict to 1024-32767 currently).

re: the "update points" (from bluepoint server) option
Yes the parsing of the number isn't too smart, but I think the real problem is that if your # started with an 8, then it wasnt your uid. You need a UID, not a logon id. Yours is 3778 as can be found here http://anteater.blueprint.org/teampages/team5.txt. Remember, points are 2 hrs old. I should probably beef up the parsing, but instead I might:
-- (better) add a dropdown of all free-dc names instead (obtain from same pg above)
-- (best) switch to use the blueprint 'user' page, which would require the app to prompt for your uname & pwd then parse the html of the blueprint 'user' page.

If you play with it any more let me know. I'll check back this pm. Also will post here when next version ready: looking into whether the {java} client can be run as a service. Might be possible with some tools from M$ - instsrv and srvany.

QIbHom
03-22-2004, 07:07 AM
Eh, work firewalls can be touchy. I could ask what ports are open, or portscan work, but I really don't want that in the logs. I like my job.

I wondered what that UID was, but the only number I'd used with DF was my DF handle, so I tried that. Might be worth adding something to the error text. Doubt I'd be the only person to make that mistake.

Been running it on my home network with no problems (after I resized columns a bit, to make it sensible). I might dink with getting it to connect to work tonight, if I have time.

Have to admit, I don't worry about running it as a service under Linux <g>. I'm contemplating a shell script or two. Not my specialty, but do you want me to send them to you if I get them set up?

rofn
03-22-2004, 02:54 PM
sorry merepeer...just didn't had the time to test it today...do it tomorrow i'll promise...

i lost over 2 hours or 3 hours work & cpu time today cause of getting dfq run and finally it didn't work the way i wanted it over my different kind of os like network anyway... :bang:
dunno why...perhaps some intercompatibility under different os. :bang:

i troubleshoot half the time and didn't came to the final this is it...now running almost all clients offline...since uploading work takes longer then one generation crunch...i'll probably upload my work 3 times daily for now...till we reach an end on this protein...

rofn

Bok
03-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Thought I'd take a look at this also.

Got it running on a Dual AMD XP2400+ running two instances of DF under an SMP linux config.

Monitor is running plus 2 clients. Also have a client running on a P4 laptop (WinXP) reporting to the linux monitor.

Works just fine :)

And I just tried the other way around. Monitor running on WinXP and a linux client connecting to it.

Also works fine :)

Nice work...

Bok

MerePeer
03-22-2004, 04:40 PM
@QibHom
Sure post the scripts but I'm sure there'll be a few more argument chgs to the client.

@bok
Great! Thanks for the update. That's what I was wondering. Just curious, on the Linux box does it come up with the native (not windows) gui display?

@rofn -- if you do get it working, let me know if the thousands separator is coming out correctly on the numbers for your country (USA = 1,234 AUS = 1.234?)?

I'm gonna change the "updated" column after noticing slight variations in time because of clock differences across cpus. I don't think I need to send the time along with each packet from the client; I can just record when the packet arrived at the monitor -- that way it will all be using the same clock.
If no packets have arrived lately, the "updated" column will still (correctly) have a stale time in it. Maybe I'll color the time orange if [n minutes] have gone by without an update -- this could occur if the monitorclient has stopped sending, which might have happened if that crunchin machine went down.
I'll also add some info from the client to the monitor (and likewise an indicator on the row) if it notices that progress.txt isn't around -- don't think I'll check for fold*.lock since that would take more client I/O and presence of progress.txt is usually good enough indicator that DF crunching is occurring (unless it was stopped with a ctrl-break).

Also planning to make the default client timer = default monitor timer = 12(10?) secs. Not any point in having the client send packets more frequently then they will be displayed in the monitor.

Bok
03-22-2004, 08:47 PM

@bok
Great! Thanks for the update. That's what I was wondering. Just curious, on the Linux box does it come up with the native (not windows) gui display?

Yes I think it was. I did it at work, haven't got it set up here at home yet. I can takea screenshot tomorrow for you if you'd like?

Bok

QIbHom
03-22-2004, 10:59 PM
The window is different than my default windows decorations. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to paste a screenshot in here without figuring out how to upload it to the webspace I theoretically have with my e-mail account. I'll be happy to e-mail them to you, MerePeer, if you like.

Graphics just aren't my thing.

Oh, I use gnome with (I think) Metacity.

MerePeer
03-22-2004, 11:04 PM
I dont need to see em, just wanted to know. Thx.

MerePeer
03-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Here's the latest version, 1.00.

These changes to the monitor:
* has a more efficient approach to sorting (uses less cpu) +
* the Updated column now only shows the time in place of the full date UNLESS
- new Orange background for crunchers that haven't been updated within 1 minute {usually indicating at least the DFMonitorClient has stopped running, perhaps the machine is down}, and
- new Red background for DFMonitorClient still running but cant find the progress.txt file { usually indicating the foldtrajlite is not running }
* update times are now based on the monitor clock, not the client, which results in a more consistent display of times.

Similar changes to the client to support the new packet information.

You will need to shutdown & upgrade your clients before starting the new monitor. Otherwise your monitor will fail with an out-of-date client msg.

I have a preliminary approach for running the client as a win service -- still testing this, not included.

I added a 0readme.txt to centralize the startup info doc.

I'll try to add arrows to the col. headers next release.

Post if you hit a snag.
:thumbs:

QIbHom
03-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Updated, looks good, MerePeer.

I checked the readme file, and it is, understandably, Windows-centric. To unixfy it, use CLI or terminal window for command line and switch the backslashes for forward slashes <g>.

Will work on scripts this weekend. Not that they are needed, really, it is all very straightforward, unless you don't want terminal windows hanging out.

IronBits
03-23-2004, 10:58 PM
You want me to move this thread down to this thread where it might get more participation?

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=53

rofn
03-24-2004, 02:19 AM
hmm...i dont know why but my win2k keeps crashing with a bluescreen when i start DFMonitor...

it says
KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0xf5d0372c, 0x00000001, 0x00657861)

then it gives a few error codes as well and it says nv4_disp.dll
but since the windows error logs dont parse that too i dont know them (bluescreen disappears too fast)...but it looks like the DFMonitor isnt quite friendly with my 56.56 Version of the Nvidia Display Drivers???
same behave on the old version as on the 1.0 version of dfmonitor...

:confused:

i can launch the DFMonitorClient...that works so its not my java...
also on my linux boxen i can do that...

but since i got no x11 installed on any of these i cant thest the DFMonitor...i'll see if i get one running today...but i guess that under linux it would work...

btw.: i won't announce that as version 1.0...it looks like it still needs more testing...and perhaps you should concider using an other name for it...since its almost the same name like dfmon from pfb...
aaah and yeah...it would be more simple for newbs understanding when you switch names on the 2 programs or even call the DFMonitorClient DFMonitorServer & DFMonitor DFMonitorClient
but these are just my suggestions... ;)

rofn

edit: i'm now running the nvidia drivers 56.64 and it works...looks like it was some issue with those old drivers that came with battlefield vietnam :)
will test it now and report later ;)

rofn
03-24-2004, 06:21 AM
ok i tested it now and it works quite fine...

http://members.nextra.at/rofo/dfmonitorss.png

except the thousand seperator thing...
when i do a update of my points i only get the first 2 values (like on the screenshot 31) when i enter them manually with . as seperator it works...
btw. i really like this counting total points together feature...doesnt have any other program...

good work merepeer :thumbs:

just as a few comments here are some features i'd like to see if you are planing to continue to work on it... :D

- more pointage statistics like last update/day/week pointage
- team ranking stats with upcoming conquests & threats (a small overview perhaps)
- nicer progress bars
- time left to complete current generation

- a node & hub & forward collecting server

forward server sends data to a node server
node server sends data to hub server
hub server collects all the data and would listen to a connection of the graphical DFMonitor Client...
so monitoring over larger & widespread networks would be possible
here is a small picture how i mean that for example

http://members.nextra.at/rofo/exp.png

here a node server acts as masquerading router with two interfaces (localnet/internet) the hub server could listen on such a router too...and on all the crunching boxen on the local networks (192.168.0.0/24) would run a forward server who just forwards the data to the node...

i hope you know what i mean...
this would be just awesome...
and also it would get you away from "its like dfmon or DCMonitor"

greets
rofn

MerePeer
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
@QIbHom - good to hear no problems under Linux. Scripts ok anytime.

@IronBits - I'd rather keep it in Free-DC for a while. Also cows will moo about the point option only being for Free-DC team.:D

@rofn - first, thanks for all the great feedback!
re: video driver fixed problem
- sounds like a rough start for you under windows but not linux. It made sense it was your video driver since you said the client worked and the client is not a windowing application. I'll add a "known incompatability" list to the bottom of the 0readme.txt for nvidia 56.64. I wonder if I should include a "Hello World" java windowed application on the zip so that basic java windowing issues can be isolated from DFMonitor?

re: version
- I'd like to stick with v1 as I think it is a good baseline. I'll do minor updates (1.01 etc) to address issues like your numbers with periods.

re: naming
- I agree it is a bit confusing since the model is more X-based server/client and not today's multi-tier client w/servers. I'll give it thought and likely rename it tonight. Input welcome. I'll check my synonyms list... maybe DFProgress and DFProgressNode?

re: Update Points not working for you
- I'm a little unclear but I think I know what's happening. Either you aren't entering your UID (yours is 26635), or you are entering it and it isn't working. Assuming it is the latter, I ask you this: when you choose the blueprint txt output http://anteater.blueprint.org/teampages/team5.txt are they forming the point totals internationally, using the period separator? If they are not, and they are using the comma, that would expalin the problem. Let me know and I will modify the code reading that URL to ignore the local separator and just use a comma separator. In any case that option needs a drop down list of users anyway.

re: more display of point & rank status
- yes I plan to add more info, eventually. First I want those column indicators. To do more rank & point info I think I should add a way to specify "who you are" during startup, i.e. "-user [your DF logon]" so it can be obtained automatically.

re: hub & forwarding
- I'm a little unclear why you wouldn't just have all those nodes sending their UDP packets directly to the monitoring machine? Is it because they have a more restricted network that wouldn't allow it, yet they can "get to" the hub and it could then forward the packets to the monitor machine?
I can see having the hub forward all the packets to the monitor. I can't see having the monitor needing to ask the hub (i.e. I don't think you need a 2-way arrow from the monitor), since the hub has to provide the info to the monitor anyway it may as well just send it along, i.e. "passthrough forwarding hub".

PS what don't you like about the progress bars? I like them but I'll listen...

Thanks again all of you.

rofn
03-24-2004, 07:27 AM
I'll add a "known incompatability" list to the bottom of the readme.txt for nvidia 56.64.

56.56 is incompatible 56.64 is fine...

Originally posted by MerePeer maybe DFProgress and DFProgressNode?
sounds very good

re: Update Points not working for you
- I'm a little unclear but I think I know what's happening. Either you aren't entering your UID (yours is 26635), or you are entering it and it isn't working. Assuming it is the latter, I ask you this: when you choose the blueprint txt output http://anteater.blueprint.org/teampages/team5.txt are they forming the point totals internationally, using the period separator? If they are not, and they are using the comma, that would expalin the problem. Let me know and I will modify the code reading that URL to ignore the local separator and just use a comma separator. In any case that option needs a drop down list of users anyway.

no i'm using the right UID...its just not working...
the team5.txt is with comma seperators...just strip them out then it would work

re: hub & forwarding
I'm a little unclear why you wouldn't just have all those nodes sending their UDP packets directly to the monitoring machine? Is it because they have a more restricted network that wouldn't allow it, yet they can "get to" the hub and it could then forward the packets to the monitor machine? I can see having the hub forward all the packets to the monitor. I can't see having the monitor needing to ask the hub (i.e. I don't think you need a 2-way arrow from the monitor), since the hub has to provide the info to the monitor anyway it may as well just send it along, i.e. "passthrough forwarding hub".

when you pass them directly to the monitoring machine it takes more connections and so more traffic...it would just be a savings in # of connections made to the graphical client...and since the hub could be on a single box anywhere on the internet that would be the better choice i think...

sure you wouldn't need a hub server...you could integrate that into the grapical client...but if you have a large amount of borged boxes on a few different networks a single collecting machine would be good...

think about the possibility then to monitor a whole team crunching progress...when every person runs a node...statistics would be totally independent then from the official df stats...and they would be almost real time...

PS what don't you like about the progress bars? I like them but I'll listen...

hehe...they look a bit bulk for my taste but optics should anyway only be changed at last...

MerePeer
03-24-2004, 09:44 PM
Here's the latest version, 1.01.

Renamed to DFProgress and DFProgressNode

UPGRADE IMPACT NOTE:
- {DFProgressNode} the "-monitorname" param has also been renamed to "-sendto". So switch your command line from
java DFMonitorClient -monitorname EARTH -dfdir "\program files\distribfold" -debug
to
java DFProgressNode -sendto EARTH -dfdir "\program files\distribfold" -debug

ENHANCEMENTS:
- {DFProgress} After using the Update Points... option the Best RMS is now filled in.
- {DFProgress} Added the sorting triangle on the column hdr. Note: when re-clicking the same column it sometimes doesnt re-paint; not sure why yet.
- {DFProgress} Progress bars a bit narrower.

FIXED BUGS:
- {DFProgressNode} Set # was occassionally resetting to 0 if the fold_* file was missing.
- {DFProgress} The blueprint stats page is now parsed properly for intl users.

Under development but included:
- {DFProgressNode} Added a "-log" cmd line which will output problems into a local file called DFProgressNode_n.out where _n switches between _0 and _1 after 100K of msgs. I'm using this to pin down a problem I'm having when running it as a service.

Todo?
- progressnode as windows service
- forwarding app per rofn
- more stats, estimate time complete, etc.
- framework for saving settings (xml ini file?)

I wonder if I should create a new thread for this, and that way I could always edit the first post and drop in the latest version -- folks wouldnt have to hunt for download in pages and pages of old posts.

QIbHom
03-25-2004, 12:32 AM
Looks good. I don't see the best RMS, though. Looks just like it did before.

MerePeer
03-25-2004, 06:14 AM
You might be running the old one? You are using java DFProgress right?
Here's what top left looks like after running update points

QIbHom
03-25-2004, 08:51 AM
Yep, I was running the old one. *mutter* Sorry about that.

New one running, I see the best RMS.

MerePeer
03-26-2004, 08:38 PM
I'll start a new thread with name DFProgress.

@rofn: I've added a forwarding app to the zip.

rofn
03-27-2004, 03:49 AM
great i'll give it a test run in a few hours when i'm @ my parents where my second network crunches...

thanks merepeer...i really appreciate your hard work on this
keep it going ;)
rofn