PDA

View Full Version : W2K Browser Woes

Jammy
04-09-2002, 10:00 PM
OK . . .I finally have W2K but it was installed on my XP 1900. My only probelm is: I Use IE 5.0 (I just downgraded from IE 6.0 trying to pinpoint what my problem could be).

Uh . . .my browser is so damned slow! My other applications, i.e. Office 2000 run fast as lightning (I removed Outlook 2000 because it always showed up in my Task Manager even though it was closed causing my whole box to drag along a bit).

Anyway . . .I tried out Opera today and I was not impressed and I uninstalled it. Please, nobody say to try Mozilla or Netscrape because I won't because of their lousy email programs.

There must be a way to use an IE browser and have no problems! I use IE 6.0 on my T-Bird and 750 Athlon Classic with no problems at all! In fact the 750 browses the web three times as fast as my XP does.

Help . . .

Jammy

Paratima
04-09-2002, 11:12 PM
Ummm, what did you upgrade to W2K from? Notice the disk/memory footprint? Remind you of sasquatch? :) Now, do you think that when programs get bigger (like, a LOT bigger) that they get faster? Would you like to buy some "waterfront" property? ;)

Try this in IE: Tools->Internet Options->Settings (in Temporary Internet files). Under "Amount of disk space to use" there is probably a moderately large number. Try something in the 5 to 10 megabyte range. Do a "Delete files" while you're there.

Try that & call us back. :cool:

BTW, have you defragged since you did the upgrade?

Jammy
04-09-2002, 11:57 PM
he he . . .my XP 1900 is but two months old and W2K sp2 was a clean install on a brand new HD! I have reinstalled it three times since getting this box for other issues (Add/Remove programs applet in the Control Panel keeps breaking). No other OS was on the HD before it came along.

I went to Tools > Internet Options > Settings and changed the disk space to 20 megs (it was set at 32000 by some a**hole, who knows who???). And I have my IE set to automatically empty my Temporary Internet Files.

When I clicked on the Objects button while there I also saw that there were three Active X scripts listed in there and I have settings for allowing no Active X to run. I removed the three (they had no names only a bunch of numbers).

And yes, I defragged just last week, I do this every other week and I ran a compplete scandisk ala W2K style (he he) three days ago. I also run Ad-Aware every morning.

I will see how the browser runs now that I have made the above changes.

Thanks Paratima! I really like W2K and I would hate to have to change back to Win98 SE just because of browser issues, lol.

Jammy

Originally posted by Paratima
Ummm, what did you upgrade to W2K from? Notice the disk/memory footprint? Remind you of sasquatch? :) Now, do you think that when programs get bigger (like, a LOT bigger) that they get faster? Would you like to buy some "waterfront" property? ;)

Try this in IE: Tools->Internet Options->Settings (in Temporary Internet files). Under "Amount of disk space to use" there is probably a moderately large number. Try something in the 5 to 10 megabyte range. Do a "Delete files" while you're there.

Try that & call us back. :cool:

BTW, have you defragged since you did the upgrade?

IronBits
04-10-2002, 12:10 AM
You may want to look into stepping up to 5.5 Jamilla...

Jammy
04-10-2002, 12:41 AM
Hey IB! Well, sol far the browser is working fine! Why not go back up to 6.0 period? OK . . .I will go to 5.5 then . . .I believe ya.

Man . . .I am so glad that this browser thing is starting to work out cuz ai really like W2K.

Jammy

BTW >>> Thanks IB!

Originally posted by IronBits

Jammy
04-10-2002, 01:02 AM
IB . . .I just installed IE 5.5 and it is slower than IE 5.0! I dunno . . .IE opens much, much faster on my 750 and T-Bird.

Why is this?

Thanks,

Jammy

Paratima
04-10-2002, 08:43 PM
Jammy, howdja do? Are you all the way back to 6.0 yet? BTW, I use 6.0 and am reasonably happy with it. 5.5 would occasionally flip out, just as I was set to post, or at some equally rotten time.

Anyhow, one thing you can do for a very coarse measurement is go to www.2wire.com (http://www.2wire.com) . Select "Support", then "Bandwidth Test". Run it a couple of times. Like I say, it's coarse, and it depends on LOTS of variables, but it can give you a rough idea of speed.

There are testers on the market, some shareware, that will give a really detailed analysis of what's slow. A large percentage of the time, it's the site you're visiting! Anyhow, good luck with it.

IronBits
04-10-2002, 09:29 PM
This works to. http://www.2wire.com/meter/bm.html :D

Jammy
04-10-2002, 10:55 PM
Well . . .so far I still have the IE 5.5 which BTW is just as slow as my 6.0 was! Uh . . .I just finished foing a thorough scan of my C Drive and defragging it (it said I did not need to defrag but it was in the 1-4% need of defragging so I did it anyway).

I am hesitant about reinstalling the 6.0 again . . .the 5.0 seemed to work OK. I just like my pages to load fast that's all and I figure that the XP 1900 "should" run faster than my 1.33 T-Bird and especially faster than my 750 Athlon Classic, (I hate to say it but the 750 is faster on the web!).

All three share my cable modem through a Linksys BEFSR41 router. I belong to DSLR and pay for premium services. My speed this evening is: 3051/274. Everything else runs just fine web-wise: email, mIRC, and Audiogalaxy.

Jammy

Jammy, howdja do? Are you all the way back to 6.0 yet? BTW, I use 6.0 and am reasonably happy with it. 5.5 would occasionally flip out, just as I was set to post, or at some equally rotten time.

Anyhow, one thing you can do for a very coarse measurement is go to www.2wire.com (http://www.2wire.com) . Select "Support", then "Bandwidth Test". Run it a couple of times. Like I say, it's coarse, and it depends on LOTS of variables, but it can give you a rough idea of speed.

There are testers on the market, some shareware, that will give a really detailed analysis of what's slow. A large percentage of the time, it's the site you're visiting! Anyhow, good luck with it.

Jammy
04-10-2002, 10:57 PM
IB: I got 2978.1 . . .man that is a lousy test, lol.

Jammy

This works to. http://www.2wire.com/meter/bm.html :D

Paratima
04-10-2002, 11:17 PM
Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment. BTW, check those settings again. The upgrade can reset them, regardless of YOUR preferences. ;) You're only the user, after all.

PS. Be sure to add the cumulative security update (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-015.asp) .

Jammy
04-10-2002, 11:27 PM
My settings are still at 10 megs for temp internet files. BTW >>> I did change one setting: I did have it checked somewhere (I forget where now) to empty my temporary internet files each time I closed my browser. I know many of those files are cached for the next time I may go to that page so I unchecked it.

/me hates herself for forgetting where that was, lol.

Seriously . . .I do not know why I am having so much trouble with my browser on W2K. I really am tempted more and more to just reformat this HD (I am on my XP 1900 now) and install Win 98 se on it for I do not have this kind of problem on my other two boxes.

But I just had to try W2K since it seems that everybody over at Ars Forum touts it.

Jammy

Well, that's about all I can think of at the moment. BTW, check those settings again. The upgrade can reset them, regardless of YOUR preferences. ;) You're only the user, after all.

Darkness Productions
04-11-2002, 08:14 AM
You do know, Jammy, that checking that box (to remove Temp Internet Files on close) will force your modem to request the page you are trying to view, whether it has changed or not... That might explain a good amount of your problems right there....

Originally posted by Jammy
My settings are still at 10 megs for temp internet files. BTW >>> I did change one setting: I did have it checked somewhere (I forget where now) to empty my temporary internet files each time I closed my browser. I know many of those files are cached for the next time I may go to that page so I unchecked it.

/me hates herself for forgetting where that was, lol.

Jammy
04-11-2002, 09:47 AM
Yes, I finally remembered that so that is why I changed that setting DP! :bang:

Jammy

Originally posted by Darkness Productions
You do know, Jammy, that checking that box (to remove Temp Internet Files on close) will force your modem to request the page you are trying to view, whether it has changed or not... That might explain a good amount of your problems right there....