PDA

View Full Version : On the road again.

guru
04-07-2004, 01:17 PM
After a long trip on the RC5 freeway I decided to make a pitstop. I took the first exit after the rc5 gauntlet township. I got lost on some small back streets and stopped to take a nap on the corner of Gimps and prime95. A week later I woke up and decided to hit the open road again. I took the first on ramp and found myself on the Distributed folding toll road. All I see now is a long open road. Time to see what this old baby can do. :beep:

guru

magicfan241
04-07-2004, 02:17 PM
*gulp*

Nice to see you too!

Don't mind this conviently placed distraction while I go get my shotgun to keep you out of my way :)

magicfan241

rofn
04-07-2004, 02:21 PM
:thumbs: good to have you on board...we sure could need any cruncher we get to hold the cows off a bit longer...

Richard Clyne
04-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Welcome on board. All lost soles welcome :thumbs:

the-mk
04-07-2004, 03:13 PM
If we get some marvelous steaks when they pass by?

MerePeer
04-07-2004, 04:25 PM
Their server is so slow it is frustrating at times :Pokes: .

But the points add so quick it feels like this :fireboun: .

So keep it in gear and we'll see ya in the top 50 soon :thumbs: .

And check out "DFProgress" thread for a nifty DF utility for freedc team.

guru
04-07-2004, 06:28 PM
Looks like I just got my first speeding ticket. Just cost me 107 units!

Wed Apr 7 14:23:18 2004 ERROR: [000.000] {foldtrajlite2.c, line 4934} Error dur
ing upload: Data file checksum failed

guru

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-07-2004, 06:41 PM
ouch - hmm damn traffic cops are everywhere...

guru
04-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Funny thing is I didn't get a ticket for speeding. I got pulled over for having a tail light out.

I found the problem. In my script to grab the data and zip it up I had a stray bracket.

wrong:
ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt *.bz2 *.val}"

right
ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt *.bz2 *.val"

:swear: :bang:

at least I checked it on one system and not all nine at the same time. Full speed ahead! :cheers:

guru

guru
04-08-2004, 01:06 PM
They need a faster upload server! I'm generating results faster then I can upload them. I'm still trying to get results uploaded from yesterday. I'm on my second day and the first day's results are only 60% uploaded. :bonk:

guru

the-mk
04-08-2004, 02:13 PM
That's why I'm glad not to be a big pharmer :rolleyes:

MerePeer
04-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Re: need servers
The fact that their servers can "almost" handle this protein and did handle the previous, longer, protein indicates they have some good back-end capability given the cross-team activity. I think a more cost-effective improvement would simply be to adjust the methodology they are using for uploads by their 'client'. Adjust it how? Well there's plenty of suggestions over in the official thread, perhaps the simplest is just to upload larger packets less often (like every 25 gens).

I hope that they pick a long protein next as that will give them time to address this issue. They dont seem to be proactive, and only slowly reactive. Took em 4 days to realize the target (10b) was too low, another 5 to release (but not update) a slower client that gives the same points, and still havent acknowledged their software randomly dies on multi-cpu machines. :scratch:

The good news is I heard the previous "phase" of this project did even more uploading -- so in the bigger picture it has progressed. :notworthy

Moving On....

-- I noticed 2 "guru" entries for the team, one at #78, one at #113. Do you have a gorilla sister?

-- Noticed you are running some nodes under unix. Another plug for DFProgress to help you monitor stuck machines. Its multi-platform just needs java runtime.

willy1
04-08-2004, 04:03 PM
The multi-CPU lockup thing is really starting to bug me.

I've done everything they suggested, short of replacing the boxes.

Paratima
04-12-2004, 07:27 AM
GURU: You had:

ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt *.bz2 *.val"

This is faster, 'cause you don't load rotlib.bin.bz2:

ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt fold*.bz2 *.val"

bwkaz
04-12-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Paratima
This is faster, 'cause you don't load rotlib.bin.bz2:

ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt fold*.bz2 *.val" Umm... yes, but it still won't work well if you overload the maximum command line length of the kernel on ${system} (32768 bytes for Linux, I believe).

To avoid that, you need to have a way to add files to an already-existing zip archive. Or a way to copy them (one at a time, based on find . \( -name 'fold*.bz2' -o -name '*.val' -o -name filelist.txt \) -exec cp {} /some/path/ \; -- otherwise your cp command will run into the same problems) and then tar up (or zip up) the resulting directory.

guru
04-12-2004, 06:56 PM
I actually changed it to:
ssh root@${system} "zip /fah-${system}.zip filelist.txt *log.bz2 *val.bz2 *.val"

this excluded the rotlib.bin.bz2 file.

guru

Paratima
04-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Oh. Ah.

guru
04-12-2004, 11:56 PM
Yea, it's like that. :moon:

:weggy:

guru