PDA

View Full Version : WS_FTP LE 6.0 Problems

Moogie
04-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Wasn't sure exactly where to post this so I thought I'd try here.

Over the last week or so, I've been having problems uploading my index.htm file after I've made changes. It is almost like it only uploads a portion of my file. I've never had this problem before.

Here is the error msg...it says it has successfully transmitted but then I get this:

! Receive error: Blocking call cancelled

This is in the log:

200 PORT command successful
STOR index.htm
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for index.htm
Transmitted 10362 bytes in 0.1 secs, (841.67 Kbps), transfer succeeded
! Receive error: Blocking call cancelled

I tried taking it out of passive mode, nada...didn't work. I even got an updated version (I previously had WS_FTP95 (I think that's what it was) and it still doesn't work.

I know it's not a space issue because a friend of mine is able to upload it successfuly with no problems.

Any ideas?

Moogie
04-09-2004, 11:48 AM
Tried it on another machine...same problem. Set the Network Timeout option to the highest number (120). Still no go.

matrix_fan
04-09-2004, 01:15 PM
Try another FTP program? I use SmartFTP: http://www.smartftp.com. Did you completely un-install the older FTP before you updated? If not try that :-D

Moogie
04-09-2004, 02:15 PM
Sure did..thanks. Well, I've got it working again, hopefully not temporary. IronBits helped me out alot on this (A BIG thank you to him in helping getting me straightened out)..plus I adjusted some settings. I'll make a few more changes to the file and try it out again.

Gets kind of frustrating when you don't know what the actual problem is.

Thanks!

Moogie
04-09-2004, 04:53 PM
The fix was temporary. It seems to be doing it again. I'm at a loss as to what to do next. Any suggestions?

guru
04-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Try leechftp. It's not supported anymore but it's better then any other FTP client I've used. You use up to 16 threads to download or upload multiple files, you can save the files in cue to transfer and reload the cue at another time, you can limit the bandwidth on a single thread or all threads. And that's just some of the features.

Leechftp (http://stud.fh-heilbronn.de/~jdebis/leechftp/downloads.html)

guru

Bok
04-09-2004, 06:08 PM
I'm partial to ncftp on linux, the windows client is pretty good too :)

here (http://www.ncftp.com)

Bok

p.s. It almost sounds like firewall issues though, XP firewall perhaps?

Moogie
04-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Thanks guru. I may give that a try after a bit. Called TDS..ended up sending the tech support person the index.htm file. He was able to upload it fine. Now we are thinking that it has something to do with the router. We switched the router out and we are using the same one we had in Cali. The new router had some issues. Looking back on it...it seems that was when the problems started.

Gonna test that theory out and see what happens. If it's not that I'm just gonna hurl this stupid thing out the window.

Moogie
04-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Bok
I'm partial to ncftp on linux, the windows client is pretty good too :)

here (http://www.ncftp.com)

Bok

p.s. It almost sounds like firewall issues though, XP firewall perhaps?

Win2K here. The firewall I have is built into the router. The router only provides NAT. FTP uses port 21, and since I can establish a connection to the remote server, that leads me to believe there there is some kind of an issue with the router/firewall.

The router is a LinkSYS BEFSR 41.

I did not have this problem back in Cali using same equipment. I only started encountering it when I (my husband) swtiched the newer router out for the one we used in Cali.

guru
04-09-2004, 07:40 PM
I tossed my Linksys BEFW11S4 after I found it was dropping packets and causing problems with ftp and ssh. I know a few others that have had similar problems with other home linksys routers. If you have an old system (P100 or faster) with two network cards in it try using Smoothwall 2.0. Much more reliable and easier to use then a linksys router.

guru

Moogie
04-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Thanks guru...I'm going to look into that. I think we may go back to the router that we were given when we moved out here for the time being.

I really appreciate all of you folks helping me out. Gives me a lot of different avenues to try.

I'll get it fixed...either that or give up the whole thing. :)

Thanks again!

gopher_yarrowzoo
04-10-2004, 03:00 PM
Yeah Moogie - give it a kicking - try reseting it to the defaults then set it up again...
me no have those problems me use a S/ware router Called WinRoute Pro (reg'd *cough*) very nice peice of s/ware - just needs a few adjustments when it comes to ports is all