PDA

View Full Version : Linux text client won't run

Scotttheking
04-10-2002, 02:01 AM
I'm using the latest gcc client, and when I try running it I get this error

error while loading shared libraries: libncurses.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

My other box runs it fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dyyryath
04-10-2002, 10:43 AM
You either don't have the ncurses (a screen handling tool) libraries installed, or they aren't where the client expects them to be.

You can start by doing the following:

locate libncurses

and see if they exist on your system. If this command gives you an error, then try this:

find / -name libncurses*

If you locate the file (you'll probably see a bunch of docs for it too), then you can add the directory it's in to /etc/ld.so.conf and execute 'ldconfig'. Of course, if it's in /lib, or /usr/lib, then it's already in the right place.

In that case, you need to make sure it's the right version. You'll probably see that several older version names are symlinked to a newer actual file. This is normal. If you have a version > 4, then you can probably symlink it to the filename the client is asking for and be fine. If not, you'll want to upgrade.

If it doesn't exist on the system at all, you need to install it. Depending on your distribution, you may be able to use RPMs, APTs, or some other type of package.

You can find the RPM for this for several distros

here (http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libncurses.so.4).

It should also be on your Linux install disks since I haven't heard of a single distro that doesn't come with it...

alpha
04-10-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath

<snip>

find / -name libncurses*

<snip>

Actually, I believe you need to prefix the asterisk with a backslash, or find will look for a file called "libncurses*".

find / -name libncurses\*

is what you want.

Sorry for being pedantic ;)

Matt

Dyyryath
04-10-2002, 11:29 AM
Nah, it works as listed:

http://www.zerothelement.com/offsite-images/find-example.jpg

alpha
04-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Hmm thats strange. I've always thought that without the backslash, find doesnt escape the asterisk. Just checked on my FreeBSD 4.3 box and a friends 4.5 and neither liked no backslash.

I guess its a linux thing? :rolleyes:

My apologies,

Matt

Dyyryath
04-10-2002, 01:32 PM
Must be, I haven't tried it on my BSD box. Of course, there are lots of little differences like that between the various *nixes. No biggie.

I've got Solaris, Tru64, Linux, FreeBSD, and SCO at work. I can't tell you the number of times I've gotten frustrated by different command line parameters to the same command. :D

Paratima
04-10-2002, 02:36 PM
Works the same on IBM's AIX and HP-SUX. But you're right, there are teeny inconsistencies that drive ya right up a wall!

Scotttheking
04-10-2002, 08:14 PM
I found the problem.
It wanted libncurses 4, I only had 5.

You might want to make sure it doesn't need that old version.

Special thanks to stibnite for his help :)

eldiablo
05-23-2002, 04:41 AM
fwiw, i created a symlink

ln -s libncurses.so.5.2 libncurses.so.4
(in directory libncurses is located)

and it works great.