PDA

View Full Version : Patience young Jedi

MerePeer
04-23-2004, 12:46 PM
In another thread of this forum IronBits' response "Patience young Jedi" got me laughing, but it is good advice for my first time experience here.

The nice thing about this project is that it really maximizes cpu time by not doing lots of network activity and result checking every 5 minutes like DF.

Two things I'd like to see improved are: it lacks any scheduled feedback on progress. To use over 12 hours of cpu time and not report one iota of status to the server, nor points for it, makes it "no fun" to monitor activity except on a more laid back, weekly(?) basis since there is no guarantee that any pointage will occur on a daily basis when it takes this long. I know: it is about finding drugs, not points.

The THINK Job information "Progress:" is useless. What good does it do to show a percentage completion when it spends over 4 hours on 99.17%? Unrelated to the update frequency issue above, I think improving the approach they are using to calculate progress would at least make this project more interesting to monitor. A progress stuck on one number for many hours always worries me that its not working properly, although in this case I assume it is expected and I just need more patience.
:)

Paratima
04-23-2004, 01:11 PM
Practice by looking at an acorn until it becomes an oak tree with acorns of its own (takes about 30 years). Then you'll have the right perspective for FAD. :D

IronBits
04-23-2004, 06:53 PM
:rotfl:

Geo
04-24-2004, 08:16 PM
Type fadspy into google and download the program, it'll tell you more than you ever wanted to know about FAD and can monitor all the PC's on your network running FAD.

Geo

Evilmoose
04-25-2004, 01:22 AM
Nice to see you posting here Geo:)
Geo is the one that got me started in FaD:thumbs:

MerePeer
04-25-2004, 04:22 PM
Thx for fadspy tip. Tried it but don't want to waste the 5-9% cpu I saw it using.

Can you help with this question:

Are "Points" the proper way to determine your rank? The statsman stats http://statsman.info/findadrugstats/2020.html orders by "Molecules" and does not show "Points", but the findadrug stats show points which I assumed was calculated using the cpu,hours formula but if I look at Condor who has finished many jobs and has zero points I am confused.

:confused:

Thx.

Paratima
04-25-2004, 05:18 PM
I was doing other projects and missed the bit where FAD instituted the points system. Suffice to say that the project ran some goodly time where all they were doing was counting molecules. Well, some molecules crunch faster than other molecules, especially on the beta-testing kind of things.

Now I know you'll find this difficult to believe, but some people are just in this game for the points. Yep, it's true. :rolleyes:

Well, those people found out about the "fast" molecules and set their boxen to ONLY crunch the fast ones! Dang!! Howls went up and the powers that be (THINK) decided that what the world really needed was an amount-of-work-done equalizing system. (Sound familiar?)

Condor hasn't crunched FAD for a while and all his points are from the early days. And there you have it. :D

wirthi
04-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Counting molecules is like counting the number of bank notes you have and trying to assumefrom that how rich you are. Of course that's a good starting point but you just didn' take into consideration whether that are 1 $ or 100 $ notes ...

Points are more related to the real work you had to do. They were introduced when the project was already in progress, so some older stats (like statman's) still show the old value (molecules) and not the new one (points).

Geo
04-25-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Evilmoose
Nice to see you posting here Geo:)
Geo is the one that got me started in FaD:thumbs:

Hey Joe,
I should have stayed with FAD instead of switching projects, I'd probably be kicking your but* now instead of you kicking mine:bs:

Not really, you would still be kickin my but*:notworthy

Stats aren't great but the project is for good causes.

I sure do like to drop in and check on old friends like you and OAMC, especially if I can offer something constructive.

Geo