PDA

View Full Version : Aftershocks

MerePeer
04-25-2004, 09:10 AM
I think, from the lack of points and the posts about significant buffering, we can assume that massive gens are accumulating. Perhaps more massive than ever before? Because even during the first 2 days following the March 17 short protein the servers were still processing at their max capacity: consuming millions of gens, awarding millions of points.

Initially when I saw the size of the latest protein (131) I thought the new upload architecture (ticketing) wouldnt really be "put to the test" for the purpose it was designed: handling server-overwhelming upload activity. After all, we had zero upload problems with the Feb/March protein and it was shorter than 131. So thanks to this weekend's upload blockage it would seem that come Monday sometime this new architecture will actually get a significant burst of "short protein-like" upload activity!:Pokes:

By the way did anyone notice that the goal has remained at 30 billion and was not reduced to the 10 billion we had in Feb/March? But remember back then they didnt immediately change the goal for the March/April protein -- it took about 5 days of activity. Just for kicks...
method 1) the Feb/March long protein took about 6 weeks for 10 billion, so we might forecast 18 weeks for 30 billion or about the start of September?

method 2) current stats are:
Total work done so far: 71,167,574
Goal amount of work: 30,000,000,000
which is .0024% for 18 hours work by everyone, so it will take 3 days to produce 1%, or 300 days to produce 100%... :rotfl:

FoBoT
04-25-2004, 09:31 AM
howard has to manually change the goal, it is something he often overlooks, i would say it will be reduced later when he gets a round to it

HaloJones
04-25-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by FoBoT
howard has to manually change the goal, it is something he often overlooks, i would say it will be reduced later when he gets a round to it

It may seem trivial but overlooking things is an indication of a lack of planning. A proper project plan with every step itemised might prevent a lot of the flak that is now flying. Learning from mistakes is a sign of intelligence; not doing so is an indication of apathy.

Paratima
04-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Amen to that! There is no substitute for a fanatic, anal-retentive SOB with a checklist. Ask any pilot! Makes life difficult sometimes, but in the long run, you avoid a lot of mistakes due to carelessness. Looks like we've had more than our share lately.

Brucifer
04-25-2004, 11:34 AM
You hit the nail on the head there Halo Jones!!

Marcelloz
04-25-2004, 02:33 PM
Guys, this (discussion) always happens after a proteine change. Brian always changes the goal after about a week. He first wants to see how fast results are coming in and then sets the goal accordingly. In my experience he always aims for 4 weeks period. Remember the first week of the 58? ( look at this (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5901) post and this (http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5928) post. ) We already had 4B and then they changed the goal to 30B. So, my guess is Brian will change the goal... at wednesday! :D