PDA

View Full Version : newbie Q

FoBoT
04-26-2004, 11:06 AM
do i have to finish this whole work things (xx/200 done) before i gets stats?

can i just punch the .html anytime to update my stats? or do i need to wait for the first work thingy (xx/200 done) to finish?

rus6
04-26-2004, 11:11 AM
You can get the client to send the results in more often:

Try:

./md5crk -h
Usage: md5crk [-test | -nc | -ng | -bg | -dps N | -send | -offline]
-test Test cores, run benchmark.
-nc No console, daemon mode. (non-win32 only)
-ng No GUI (win32 only).
-bg Background/Daemon mode (no console/GUI)
-dps N Generate N DPs and exit - do not send
-send Send workunit and exit.
-offline Don't send any work units.
Mon Apr 26 16:13:14 2004
COMMAND: close GUI

So md5crk -send should do the trick

Hope that helps...

Bok
04-26-2004, 11:23 AM
You have ran the html first though right ? You need to do that for each instance to register the DP's it is assigned under your username. It's a one time deal for each client.

Bok

FoBoT
04-26-2004, 11:51 AM
how about in Windows?

any windows users? i am running it on my laptop , Windows XP

i run the .html to register my client

the GUI says i am at 123/200 complete

the page on the website indicates the "manual upload" or something is out of service right now

PCZ
04-26-2004, 12:01 PM
FoBot

The manual send has been disabled on the site as you have discovered.
Running md5crk -send from the cmd line doesn't send either so that also has been disabled.

Basically you will have to wait till it has done 200 DP's.
If you stop the client you won't loose any work it will just carry on from where it left off when it is restarted.

Digital Parasite
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
FoBoT, I'm not sure if the manual web page method will ever be active. What you can do if you are really getting impatiant is to stop the MD5CRK client, then run this:

md5crk.exe -prepareBatch

That will create a file "md5_batch_send.html" which you then open in any browser on an online machine and click on the "Upload Results" button. That is the method used for people running offline.

You might be able to just do a:
md5crk.exe -send

As well but I have never tried it. Even thought the windows client is a "GUI", it accepts most of the same command line options.

Jeff.

FoBoT
04-26-2004, 12:02 PM
excellent, thanks pcz/jeff :drums:

i will wait :sleepy:

1 Ghz Pentium III laptop, looks like it is ~2.5 days to finish a 200 DP work thingy

Welnic
04-26-2004, 02:53 PM
I had the -send flag work in OSX. If you login at the md5crk site then you should see a list of Active Start Points even if you haven't sent any data in yet. When I was setting my client up I did not get a positive answer after I used md5_user_send.html, but when I checked my active start points were listed. Plus you are showing up on http://stats.open-dc.org/md5//Free-DC.html with 3 paths.

Does anyone know how to use the md5_user.xml file? I haven't been able to find any instructions. Right now I am enjoying running a project with just one box, but depending on how another project goes I might have a lot of boxen to put somewhere. If I could put my info in that file it would be easier than dealing with md5_user_send.html.

FoBoT
04-26-2004, 02:58 PM
my start points show on the My Stats part of the web site, so i think i got it going correctly

i assume that the .xml files contain the info and if the manual upload worked, you would just send them the .xml to return work/get stats

Digital Parasite
04-26-2004, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Welnic
Does anyone know how to use the md5_user.xml file? I haven't been able to find any instructions.

What do you mean by "how to use"? Right now its just a file that contains some basic information, the only thing you can really change at this point is the proxy setup. I'm not sure if it will act differently if you change the minWorkUnitSize (200) or not.

I think the only way to register your client after the first time you generate starting points is to use the md5_user_send.html file.

The important thing is that all your clients have to generate unique starting paths so you won't be able to just copy your md5_user.xml file between clients or you will duplicate all your work.

Jeff.

Welnic
04-26-2004, 04:20 PM
After I posted I looked into my md5_user.xml file again and realized it wasn't what I thought it was at first. I first looked at it before running the client and it looked like where the info about who you were could be kept. After looking at it again I realize that it has the start points and which core the client should be using. So it is not what I thought at all.

So I guess what I would need to do would be to run the md5_user_send.html file from a different machine than the one that was actually running the client. It seems like that should work as long as you run it with the md5_user.xml file that the working machine's client generates.

Digital Parasite
04-26-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Welnic
So I guess what I would need to do would be to run the md5_user_send.html file from a different machine than the one that was actually running the client. It seems like that should work as long as you run it with the md5_user.xml file that the working machine's client generates.

You don't need to worry about the md5_user.xml file. The md5_user_send.html file contains all the info from the .xml file so all you need to do is run the .html file from any machine that has a web browser and access to the Internet.

Are your machines "offline"? If so, the same thing will happen when you want to upload your work units. Stop the MD5CRK client on your machine, then run with the -prepareBatch switch which will generate a md5_batch_send.html file. Start up your MD5CRK client again. Then sneaker-net just your md5_batch_send.html file to any online machine and open in a web browser and click on the send button. I have done that so far for several thousand DPs from multiple machines and it works fine.

Jeff.

Welnic
04-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Okay, I looked at the raw version of the md5_user_send.html and saw what you mean. The main part of my farm is an eight node setup running off of one hard drive. I just ssh into it to run it. It has net access but no real web access. So I would just register the md5_user_send.html on a computer with web access and I should be set.

Thanks for the help. :cheers:

Digital Parasite
04-26-2004, 07:34 PM
No problem Welnic. I found that the .html files seem to work fine in LYNX if you happen to have that installed on your farm. That is what I use to upload my work units from my Linux boxes that I SSH into.

> lynx md5_batch_send.html

Then hit enter on the "Upload Work".. and they will upload just fine.

Jeff.

IronBits
04-26-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks Digital Parasite, great tip!
(for those of us that live in init 3 mode to) :p
:cheers:

rus6
04-27-2004, 06:49 AM
The send option on the command line seems to work for me as well...

Least it did yesterday.

FoBoT
04-28-2004, 10:45 AM
i hope it sent my work in, it now says 0/200 complete

Bok
04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
It sure did :)

here (http://stats.open-dc.org/md5//Free-DC.html)

Bok :cheers:

FoBoT
04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
so if the client is working offline and completes the 200/200 , it just keeps redoing the work (mine said 201/200 100.5% complete before it uploaded) and you get credit?

so that means this is a good offline sneakernet project/client?

Bok
04-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Correct.

I don't think it is redoing work either, as it's all just from it's original start point, so it is new work too.. 200 is just an arbitrary point to upload I think.

So, yes it would make a very good sneakernet project :)

Bok

Digital Parasite
04-28-2004, 11:58 AM
FoBoT, if you are running offline, the client just continues on past the normal 200 point. It does not re-do any work. The batch size of 200 was probably chosen as to not overload the servers too much.

Since you don't have to download any data from the servers to produce results for this project, it is the ultimate client for offline. You could run it for a month without having to dump your results if you needed to.

Jeff.

Welnic
04-28-2004, 01:12 PM
At the bottom of this page there are some switches meant for running offline:
http://www.md5crk.com/?sec=advanced

It looks pretty ideal for it.

FoBoT
04-28-2004, 01:45 PM
is the linux or windows client faster ?

or are they ~same?