PDA

View Full Version : Dual Processor Pentium 4 runs Slow!

brodin
04-27-2004, 01:18 PM
I have been running GIMPS (prime number search) and 2 processes/instances (1 on each processor) that do not run any faster than 1 process.

Can you suggest any other DC projects I might try to see if it is a hardware or software problem.

Also, any suggestions re getting an Intel Pentium 4 to run 2 processes faster than 1 process. I am sure that it is using both processors!

Welnic
04-27-2004, 01:49 PM
If you have one process running at a certain speed, then when you run two processes then they should both run at that same speed (or a little bit slower). So you end up with twice the output. Just like if you were running it on two boxen instead of one.

Evilmoose
04-27-2004, 08:13 PM
On some projects HT helps alot, and some slow down to the point its not worth it.
I run D2OL and TSC with about a 30% benifit running HT and 2 proccesses.
With FAD I get about 10% over a single proccess. Seti gets a huge benifit from what I remember but I dont run it anymore.

One thing I do know, you will never double your output like you can with a dual physical proccessor set up. My dual AMD2400 kills my P$ HT @ 3GhZ on D2OL.

Try another project and see what happens. If your into searching for primes I have seen a benifit from HT on SoB.

Oops just reread your post, do you have 2 psyical proccessors? might be a lack of ram not sure.:blush:

PCZ
04-30-2004, 04:08 AM
The post says dual pentium 4

There is no such thing as a dual P4.
P4's can only run UNI processor.

So it's either a P4 with HT {Most Likely}
Or a Dual Xeon