PDA

View Full Version : Why are we there?

Moogie
04-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Every day there are news reports about more deaths. Every night on TV there are photos of death and destruction. Why are we still there?

We occupied this land, which we had to take by force, but it causes us nothing but trouble. Why are we still there?

Many of our children go there and never come back. Why are we still there?

Their government is unstable, and they have loopy leadership. Why are we still there?

Many of their people are uncivilized. Why are we still there?

The place is subject to natural disasters, which we are supposed to bail them out of. Why are we still there?

There are more than 1000 religious sects, which we do not understand. Why are
we still there?

Their folkways, foods and fads are unfathomable to ordinary Americans. Why are we still there?

We can't even secure the borders. Why are we still there?

They are billions of dollars in debt and it will cost billions more to rebuild, which we can't afford. Why are we still there?

It is becoming clear...

WE MUST PULL OUT OF CALIFORNIA

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Beyond
04-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Moogie

WE MUST PULL OUT OF CALIFORNIA

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Darn...my guess and hope was Washington DC! ;)

Paratima
04-27-2004, 09:01 PM
Sure gonna disappoint ole TargetButt! :D

Anteraan
04-27-2004, 11:31 PM
Exactly, Moogster -- I liken it to the media's coverage of "news", and how stilted it actually is. I'd be willing to bet that, in the last 4 months, more Americans have been killed in Detroit than have been killed in Iraq. Imagine if every murder across the US got the coverage of the violence in Iraq. There wouldn't be enough time on a 24/7 channel to handle it all.

Moogie
04-28-2004, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Paratima
Sure gonna disappoint ole TargetButt! :D

LOL! Well, I was smart enough to get out of there. :D

Now I just have to worry about Rednecks.....:eek:

Moogie
04-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by Anteraan
Exactly, Moogster -- I liken it to the media's coverage of "news", and how stilted it actually is. I'd be willing to bet that, in the last 4 months, more Americans have been killed in Detroit than have been killed in Iraq. Imagine if every murder across the US got the coverage of the violence in Iraq. There wouldn't be enough time on a 24/7 channel to handle it all.

No arguments here. The media covers what it thinks will bring in the most viewers...and reports the same way.

magicfan241
04-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Anteraan

Wher I live, I can get either the Philadelphia news/TV stations, or the Lancaster stations (we have a turnable antenna). I don't turn on the Phila. stations because all they talk about is who was killed in the war for 15 minutes, then spend 3 minutes talking about the dozen people shot or otherwise killed overnight in the city. In Lancaster, they don't talk about the war, they talk about the community. Much better news, and keeps it focused on the local news, the stuff that really matters.

Let's face it. To a rural/suburban border resident, what's happening in Japan, France and England don't matter because very few of us have been there, few of us are going there, and few of us have friends over there (I would be one of the few on the friends in other countries, and my dad is currently in England). We only need ONE year of a forign language to graduate, we have 1 year of world cultures, two years of US history, and one year of Western. Civ. (which covers Europe before it was Europe. We are spending 10 days in total about Europe after 1900, one day on WWI, one day on WWII, and one day on the russian revolution, the only events our school needs us to know about recent eupoean history. The books only go up to 1975 anyway.)

I guess our area suffers from "isolationism" too much. Leave others alone, and they leave you alone.

magicfan241