PDA

View Full Version : The Free-DC website is active!

ColinT
12-29-2001, 08:04 PM
Dyy has finally shown his hand. have a look here:

www.free-dc.org

I am drooling!

Berg.the.Red
12-29-2001, 09:25 PM
Dyyrath once again shows us a little of that "Stats God/Web Designer" Magic

Dyyryath
12-30-2001, 01:20 AM
Oh, this is just the beginning. It's going to get *much* better. :D

Bait-Fish
12-30-2001, 03:26 AM
Top notch job as always. Nice look to it. I like.

Chas
12-30-2001, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Dyyryath

It looks sweet mate, very clean,modern,clear, great work :D

pointwood
12-30-2001, 07:59 AM
Looks really cool Dyyryath - haven't expected anything else ;)

A little suggestion: (No, it's not about web standards ;) they are still very important of course) Each project will get a own sub section, but I would like to be able to see the news from all sub sections, on one page. That is one thing that is a bit hard at Ars - you have to follow a lot of sites if you want to keep up to date with each project/team. With a combined news page, that would be much easier!

Jammy
12-30-2001, 11:22 AM
Look's great as your work always does Dy! When are the left-hand side buttons gonna work?

rstarr
12-30-2001, 06:33 PM
This is only the beginning. Looking good so far. :)

BNS
12-30-2001, 11:08 PM
Hmmm, looks OK I guess.

It all comes down to preference I suppose, and websites which use graphics in their layout just don't do it for me as much as plain html and css does.

See http://miranda-icq.sourceforge.net/ for a web desgin that really floats my boat. It would be better using css positioning than tables though in my opinion but the end product *looks* really great.

Once again IMHO

(:

BNS
12-31-2001, 12:35 AM
hehe, now that I think of it, one of the slickest looking websites around imho is ...

http://www.arsware.org/

oh well

Dyyryath
12-31-2001, 02:08 AM
That is a nice, clean layout. Very functional. Those kind of sites sure are a lot quicker and easier to build, too. Graphics are neat, but man are they time consuming to work with. :eek:

On the other hand, though, I tend to get tired of purely functional sites after awhile. I generally like clean, functional sites that are still interesting to look at.

This one caught my eye the other day:

GUI Stuff (http://www.guistuff.com/)

I really like that one. Good color scheme, nice modern design.

BNS
12-31-2001, 02:50 AM
This one caught my eye the other day:

GUI Stuff (http://www.guistuff.com/)

I really like that one. Good color scheme, nice modern design.
[/B]

Woah! That is neat.

You have some work to do (:

pointwood
12-31-2001, 03:37 AM
I must say that I agree with BNS here. CSS (and standards compliance ;) ) is the way to go.

On the other hand, though, I tend to get tired of purely functional sites after awhile. I generally like clean, functional sites that are still interesting to look at.
Can't it be, partly, combined?

relic
12-31-2001, 09:27 AM
As an old programmer (not as old as Colin though) I long ago understood the need for standards. I also understood that inflexible standards lead to mediocrity. (Microsoft come to mind?)

Now as then, the best and most innovative programs and websites go well beyond standards and break new ground.

The standard will catch up. It's always been that way.

Besides, websites are for the masses, not for the 'grammers. ;)

Regards,
relic

Dyyryath
12-31-2001, 10:31 AM
pointwood: My post had nothing to do with CSS or standards, simply the 'look' of the site.

I know your feelings about standards compliance quite well. :D

BNS: Yeah, I've still got a long way to go. :D

Of course, I don't really feel too bad about it since I'm no web designer. This is just something I tinker with out of curiosity more than anything. I'm a System Administrator/Programmer by trade.

Berg.the.Red
12-31-2001, 10:43 AM
This is just something I tinker with out of curiosity more than anything. I'm a System Administrator/Programmer by trade.
hate to say it, but maybe it's something you should THINK about doing !! :D if this is just a part-time hobby "Oh Great-an-Powerfull Stats God", you must be one hell of a SysAdmin !! :D :D

Dyyryath
12-31-2001, 10:53 AM
I find it entertaining, but it wouldn't pay nearly as well as my real job. :D

Dyyryath
12-31-2001, 10:59 AM
Hey BNS, maybe this site would appeal to you:

LAPCO Paintball (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/index.shtml)

It's more CSS and less graphics, though it does have some graphics for section borders...

BNS
01-01-2002, 06:56 AM
Hey BNS, maybe this site would appeal to you:

LAPCO Paintball (http://www.lapcopaintball.com/index.shtml)

It's more CSS and less graphics, though it does have some graphics for section borders...

Yeah, I didn't mind that at all really. I can see where your 'influences' are coming from ;)

I don't really mind the free-dc front page either, I just think it might be a bit harder to maintain or change than an purely html/css solution, I was just giving some constructive (I hope) feedback

I guess it comes down to personal style, and wether you are prepared to tweaking the graphics by hand to get them to 'fit' with each other at every resolution, or to let the viewers html renderer handle the hard work.;) ;)

Dyyryath
01-01-2002, 12:54 PM
Yeah, the graphics sites are a whole lot more work. Like I said earlier though, I'm doing this primarily for entertainment value, not as a job. So far, I don't mind the extra work that much. :D

The LAPCO site, BTW, wasn't an influence, but something I did for ColinT. It was originally an experimental layout for a new version of the TER site, but he really liked it when he saw it, so I modded it a bit to fit his needs. ;)

Kosmaj
01-01-2002, 08:06 PM
Great page Dyr,
Though I'll prefer some more colors:D
And how about links? They are still inactive,
can you activate at least the "Forum" link?

BNS
01-02-2002, 03:36 AM
The LAPCO site, BTW, wasn't an influence, but something I did for ColinT.

That's makes sense due to...

It was originally an experimental layout for a new version of the TER site
I know the TER site, that's why I said I thought it was your 'influence'.

It just happens you did the opposite of what I first thought though.

guru
01-08-2002, 01:00 PM
I much prefer a web site that works (working links) then a good looking one.

mr_mann
01-08-2002, 04:59 PM
i like this one myself :D
www.redrump.com
very nice job for whoever did it :D

JPS
01-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Nice Self-Pimp job Mr. Mann ;)

Seriously, your site design is clean and efficient without the excessive eye candy that weighs down other sites.