PDA

View Full Version : Why is my computer processing someone elses island?

dreplogle
05-06-2004, 08:40 AM
Every now and then an island appears on my screen and it has another island name on it.

Like BWL4BPV8: JensBjornhager's Monica instead of my circuit name of CircuitCity's Monica?

Thanks for any information.

Dan Replogle

michaelgarvie
05-07-2004, 05:10 AM
This may have something to do with when you're taking over an emtpy island. The server actually gives you the last person's island which wasn't empty. Its just a cosmetic bug, but i'll add it to the todo list :thumbs:

Stephen_B
05-24-2004, 09:26 AM
I have this issue too. I have three distributed computing windows:

1. stephen_boulet's Monica
2. stephen_boulet's Monica<2>
3. unloved's Monica

If nothing else a single window would be nice.

There are also 20 java processes. Is that normal?

michaelgarvie
05-24-2004, 10:47 AM
I guess it's a bit unlucky to get the "unloved" island... but apart from that, its just a cosmetic bug as I mentioned earlier.

About the 20 java processes. Are they all active, as in sharing cpu time equally amongst each other? Or is there one main one using 99%?

Stephen_B
05-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Just one of the twenty gets the cpu time. The other 19 just show up when I query for the processes under my username.

I guess "unloved" really is. ;)

michaelgarvie
05-25-2004, 08:25 AM
That's fine then. That will be showing all the threads (=processes in Linux) that java uses internally.

ashp
05-25-2004, 04:18 PM
*sniffle*

I'm the unloved island. :)

I'd love to tell you it's some tragic tale of awfulness, but the truth is I bought unloved.org years ago when I couldn't think of anything clever for a domainname!

Sadly I only have a single computer crunching away, but as soon as the software can handle firewalls a little better, by HTTP proxying, I'll add a XP2600 to my XP2800 that's currently working away. :)

Stephen_B
05-26-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by ashp
*sniffle*

I'm the unloved island. :)

I'd love to tell you it's some tragic tale of awfulness, but the truth is I bought unloved.org years ago when I couldn't think of anything clever for a domainname!

I'm sure you can figure out a way to parlay your domain name into millions $$. Then you can buy lots of computers for distributed computing. ;)

michaelgarvie
06-03-2004, 05:27 AM
Charlie Todd asked:

I am using the distributed hardware evolution client on my Mandrake
Linux 9.2 uniprocessor machine, which is behind a modem. Of late, I am
finding that I have three or five clients running simultaneously on my
machine, each getting an equal chunck of the CPU time (about 12%). And
none of them are even for my island. They're all for other islands,
usually multiples of the same island.
My normal island is CharlieTodd (#1968).
Why do I not get one and only one client on my machine?

You don't seem to be the only one with this issue, although you're the first to have the processes actually sharing CPU power. Are you sure these are actually multiple islands running? You can verify this by looking at the console output. If it says something like:

Gen 234...

Gen 7823

Gen 235

Gen 7824

Then you do have multiple islands running. If you only see

Gen 234 ..
Gen 235 ..
Gen 236 ..

Then there's no need to worry.

Miguel

adream
07-24-2004, 07:19 AM
i know its been talked about before,

but im currently processing 5 islands that appear to be other peoples...

and the results appear to be being sent as the incorrect named islands and are showing up in "Current best individual ranking" table

i know that the whole point is to keep islands running etc so killing them and waiting for an island with the correct acct name to come along will make a mess of the science

so what to do ? its happening on both windows and mac os x systems dual and single processors

the offending islands at the moment are :

2x alice 23's
1x stephen boulet
1x seanpg71
1x cedricvonck
1x mr mental

this is whats showing in the Current best individual ranking:

119 Mr_Mental -5 2
128 stephen_boulet 0 6
136 seanpg71 6 3
112 CedricVonck -1 -5
114 Alice23 -4 -5
109 Alice23 5 5

now i know we're all here for the science, but.... thats over half of my output (6 processors) !

have a look folks and ask for more info if needed

great to be back online with dhe after a break of a few months (those darned boinc betatests)

regards

adream
team FAF

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

michaelgarvie
07-24-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the feedback. A bug has been traced and fixed. New code should be active the next time the server is restarted. For now you can resolve this by restarting your client manually.

adream
07-24-2004, 09:45 AM
glad to be of some help...

thanks for the quick response

adream

adream
07-27-2004, 04:14 PM
err if its not a silly question, how often do you restart the server ?

im still getting a constant stream of wrong islands... i assume you wont just restart on a daily basis.... so how long shall we ignore these errors for ?

im not bothered, how quick it happens, i just wanna know when it all should be working fine, and i dont have to check my network on a daily basis for errors..

regards

adream

:elephant:

michaelgarvie
07-28-2004, 12:06 PM
Do I get only one elephant because you're a bit pissed off? :|party|:

Actually I restarted it on the 24th and the new code should've got distributed. I have just restarted it again. If you still have trouble please get back to me.

adream
07-28-2004, 06:12 PM
he heh,

no you only got one heffalump cos i thought four was a bit excessive , seeing as though i was posting so much

as for retarting the server, i have only had one bad one today, if there are more i will point them out.

am i unusual in getting these errors? or is it just cos im running gui so i notice...

as far as i can tell, most people use the windows service

anyhow, time to summon the heffalumps :)

regards

adream

adream
07-31-2004, 02:21 PM
hi miguel

sadly the otherpeoples island problem is still present, it only seems to happen when a new circuit is created, i had three jumpers this time.

if you want more setails let me know

adream

michaelgarvie
08-09-2004, 09:21 AM
I've done a further change today which may fix it. Please let me know how it goes. :bang:

rshepard
08-26-2004, 09:42 AM
looks like this bug is still around.
I noticed during a restart today that two of my clients picked up Cash's island. I closed down both and restarted, and they came up normally.

adream
09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
yup im still getting the islands jumping around, seems to happen when a new evaluation is started

i had three today

cheers

adrian

adream
09-16-2004, 05:12 AM
and four more today !

regards

adream