PDA

View Full Version : Eon Server down?

rshepard
05-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Ok, all my clients have stalled out , Windows and Linux both-- is anyone else getting work, or should I start looking for a problem here? :bang:

Bok
05-06-2004, 09:29 AM
Yeah, it's down for now :( , I imagine it will return in the next few hours.

Bok

offamychain
05-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Bok's correct. This is common for Eon. Always has been, always will. That's why I ALWAYS recommend running a secondary project with Eon, with the 2nd at a lower priority setting. If you don't do this, your computer will be sitting idle for maybe a couple hours a day. Good if you want it to take rest-breaks & cool down; bad if you want it to make stats.

DNET works good for this. I usually generate around a dozen RC5 units/day/machine like this. Actually, almost ALL DC-projects have some slack-time in them, so I automatically run DNET on every one of my systems.

magnav0x
05-06-2004, 01:15 PM
What priority setting do you run dnet at? I noticed when running dnet (with 0 priority in the config) along with EON, dnet still shoots up to about 90% processing with EON activly crunching. Did you have to place witht he 'nice' settings? It may be because it's a HT box though (linux).

IronBits
05-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Use -9 for priority with the eon client. :)

offamychain
05-06-2004, 07:45 PM
My Linux's all look like this:

13 Chess's at -17
1 Eon at -15
1 DNET at 17 (no minus)

This lets the DNET just barely run until Eon quits & it also lets all of the Chess's have priority over everything for the 8-12 minutes per hour they actually do anything.

These crunchers are 10% OC'd XP1700-type rigs with 500-700 Megs of DDR 2100 or 2700. With these type of priority settings, you definitely can't "use" them for anything else,(they'll pretty much ignore you) but I just leave 'em alone & they'll run forever like this, long as you keep 'em cool & feed 'em electricity.

One system like this usually puts out 90% of what it could do on Eon by itself, around 1.75 billion Chess nodes/day, & 10-15 RC5 units/day.

PCZ
05-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Is the EON server down again ?

rshepard
05-07-2004, 09:23 AM
must be-- my boxes appear to have fallen back to their backup projects.

Bok
05-07-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by PCZ
Is the EON server down again ?

It is :(

If you look at my index page here (http://stats.open-dc.org/) and compare the last update check and last page generated for Eon, if they are more than an hour apart then it's a good indication that the server is down.

Perhaps I need to do a check for this and perhaps color it red ? hmmm

For this reason too, I was thinking perhaps we should switch the gauntlet to LM instead ? Anyone ?

I have preliminary stats done for it which will work for any project. It's all linked in to the project DB's.

Still got to add some graphics and the stomps...

Bok

IronBits
05-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Perhaps I need to do a check for this and perhaps color it red ? hmmm
Yes, that would be perfect, anytime a site is down when you do a stats run, showing it in RED will alert us to a problem maybe? ;)
Good idea Bok! :thumbs:

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Yeah, LM would be good...... but if you too at the server stats tab, it's not putting WU's into the DB. My vote is LM or md5. EON is supposed to be better on Linux boxes, all mine are win, any DC that are Opsys neutral??

Where FreeDC can maybe move up a place or two would be good.

LM has my vote at the moment..

PCZ
05-07-2004, 10:01 AM
So I spend 2 days converting my windows PC's to run linux and you wan't to change to LM.

LM performs terribly in linux :bang:

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-07-2004, 10:04 AM
Tee, Hee. sounds like another vote for LM.

Could always do distributed folding. That would worry Howard.

PCZ
05-07-2004, 10:11 AM
If we have to change can we change to MD5 ?

It performs equally well in linux or windows, has good stats and is reliable.

Lifemapper has a very flaky back end database, and will fall over for sure.

Bok
05-07-2004, 10:27 AM
Would work for me. I'm just throwing ideas out there :)

MD5 works equally well on either OS as far as I can see and it's about time I consolidated into 4th or 5th place anyway :)

Let's see what everyone else thinks.

Perhaps a poll is in order ?

Bok

Helix_Von_Smelix
05-07-2004, 10:35 AM
one vote for a poll. :D

Paratima
05-07-2004, 01:12 PM
In the name of contrarity, I vote against a poll. :p

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Is it down again? or is it just cos im behind a firewall (ZA Pro) and a router (WinRoute Pro) I don't have a problem with these on ANY other DC project, Lifemapper, Distributed Folding, D2OL...
Sorry this is giving me a headache so I've stopped hmm MD5Crk sounds like fun :D gonna give it a try

Paratima
05-07-2004, 09:54 PM
Gopher, have you gotten EON up on any boxen at all yet? I can tell you that it never seems to connect for me immediately. There's always a goodly pause before it connects, sometimes REALLY goodly. Have you tried firing it up and just letting it go?

offamychain
05-07-2004, 10:18 PM
That's true. This project, sorta like Chess, does not go 100% 24 hrs/day, thus the importance of a secondary project. Best way to run Eon is to start it up, turn the monitor off, go drink a cup of coffee, & check on it an hour or so later. If it shows some activity in the DOS-box then, just let it be..it's working.

If it's not active at the moment you start it, you may be stareing at "Valid ID Found" or something like that for a long time. Sometimes it even takes several minutes to even see that remark.

As in many DC-projects, patience is a virtue with Eon.

PCZ
05-08-2004, 07:42 PM
Is it down again ?

Paratima
05-08-2004, 07:53 PM
Most of the day, I think.

Can't run EONs. Can't upload DFs. Guess I'll have to talk with my wife! :D

Bok
05-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by PCZ
Is it down again ?

Been down since around 3:00pm EST :(

May not be back until monday...

I'll check with Graeme on monday and see if maybe he can give me sudo access to do what ever needs to be done to kickstart it.

Bok

offamychain
05-08-2004, 08:18 PM
I switched all of mine to other projects except one. It's still crunching it's secondary--RC5. If it comes back on, I'll post.

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-08-2004, 08:24 PM
all it says is
Dimer Initialise or something now (i've tried the firewall fix and it don't work)
before it was giving me contant Fail messages in the log

TeeJay
05-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by gopher_yarrowzoo
all it says is
Dimer Initialise or something now (i've tried the firewall fix and it don't work)
before it was giving me contant Fail messages in the log

Gopher... my log is full of :

RecvIdaMessage failed.

Over a hundred of them right now...

I wonder what it means ? :confused:

>>TJ

Paratima
05-08-2004, 09:07 PM
Gopher, if it got as far as Dimer Initialize, you're probably OK. Just wait for da data!

Hmm, could make a song out of that. Waitin' for da data, waitin' for da data, dum de dum de dum dum dum...

TeeJay: See above.

offamychain
05-08-2004, 10:17 PM
Yes, that's true. If it's saying 'Dimer Initialize', then you're all connected up & just waiting for some data to crunch. Saddly, I wouldn't hold my breath...You'll probaly die. Unless a miracle happens, there won't be nothing else till Monday.

Bok mentioned he was gonna try a few contacts though. Will happen every time. When a team wants to really ramp up its production, that project will go down.

What I have done is actually start up THREE projects on my Eon rigs. Eon is bumped up to the highest priority (Above Normal or Nice -15), while an "emergency" project (using DF & Ubero) is set at Normal or Nice 00. DNET is below this, as usual. The DF/Ubero's are doing the work now. Since Eon is higher, I'm hoping it'll pick up if it comes back on.

Tee-Jay, All these router/firewall problems have honestly got me bumfuzzled. I've ran this project for several months behind the Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm, & now a Belkin router firewall with no problems. I haven't even had to open the ports up. I hate this is happening but am at a loss to offer any more help, because of mainly two reasons.

First, I've never had a problem with Eon & personal firewalls. Second, I have no experience with Corporate firewalls. I hope someone else smarter than me can get this straigtened out. Bok mentioned he was gonna talk to Graeme about it.

All I can suggest right now, & I know ya'll are probaly tired of trying, is this. And I'm not trying to act like my way is the ONLY way. But if you want to try it again, get rid of ALL the old Eon files, including any in the registry. They should be easy to find 'cause they'll all say something about "Chemistry", "U. of Wash.", "UW", something like that.

Then download a brand new package & install it EXACTLY by the instructs I have posted. The only reason I say it like this is I KNOW it will work...at least some of the time. You can notice a "OAMC's Test Account" at the very bottom of the stats. This was done last night as I was writing the instructs.

Hope you get it going. It will be VERY hard to retake 2nd place without several more members helping.

David

Paratima
05-08-2004, 11:14 PM
David, the difference in corporate firewalls is that they lock down just about all the available ports. Typically they shut off access to all ports that are not explicitly permitted access. Personal firewalls tend to shut off access to often-misused and abused ports and allow all others. The emphasis is completely different. Personal routers & firewalls are Swiss cheese by comparison, even the good ones.

In my company, just about the only port that is completely unrestricted is port 80, which is http, the main internet protocol. A few others are allowed, mostly having to do with net maintenance and ftp transfers. All others are absolutely shut down, this means you, brutha, and no questions about it! :cool:

So what's the solution? A proxy server! Proxies use the common internet http port, 80, but send and receive on different ports that you tell them to use. So I can tell a proxy that the request I'm sending it on port 80 really needs to go to the destination address on port 10204, as in EON. The proxy gets the return on port 10204 and sends it back to me over port 80. Clever, huh? :rolleyes:

Yeah, well it works, mostly. Except that as I described in another thread, the EON client doesn't seem to be playing by the rules, so the proxy server can't do its thing properly. I could be missing something, but it looks like it's gonna require a code change, or corporate farmers behind tight firewalls won't be able to play.

Hope that helps. :D

And no, we won't ask why someone decided to use a non-standard port in the first place.

Bok
05-09-2004, 12:42 AM
Completely true about corporate firewalls.

Let me add one more thing based on my experience and somewhat :|ot|:

I've spent many a week at various large clients,airlines,bankks (let's say turnover of >1B$), in my experience the network people usually do not have a clue. Checkpoint Fire One is predominant...please. Yes it's very pretttyyyy so that anyone who knows how to point and click can admin it.

Let's take a recent example. I was on a client site doing an install and I wanted to get to my email, which requires ssh (port 22) access so I can get to my home machines. I spoke to the (dedicated :moon: ) firewall person when I couldn't get out. He responded that he did not trust that port.... I pointed out that telnet (port 23) was open and that all passwords via telnet were cleartext. He disagreed :scared: I remained calm and dug out that port 22 was actually open inwards but not out which was the same for ftp (21) and most other port :sigh:.

This was not the first time...............................................................

/rant over

Bok

willy1
05-09-2004, 02:23 AM
I got no firewall on my home box, and I'm getting the same messages. A log file full of "RecvIdaMessage failed.".

offamychain
05-09-2004, 04:31 AM
Everyone is getting those. You may have it set up right, hard to tell. You will see your log-file fill up with this message until the server starts giving out work again. Most likely Monday.:( :(

If this message is on the screen, in the DOS-box, you may or may not have it running right, but it's impossible to tell without any work.

If this is ONLY in the log, & especially if you have some sort of "dimer" command in the DOS-box, then you've probaly got it set up OK. It's just waiting for work.

willy1
05-09-2004, 09:41 AM
It was set up months ago and worked then.

You mean I've been running this thing for 2 days and there's NO FRIGGIN WORK ??? What the heck has the client been doing with 99% of the CPU?

What kind of cheesy project is this?

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-09-2004, 11:38 AM
/ :rant:
takes EoN nicey nice project and tosses it in the bin - god this is WORSE than the DF debaticle at least Howard admitted there was problems :D
Sorry I'll just run with 1.3Ghz D2OL, 3.4Ghz LM, 2.2Ghz DF - Total 6.8Ghz
/end :rant:

magnav0x
05-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Bok,

I've had the same conversations with our NST professor (network secruity). He wanted a linux box setup with certain services, etc. However instead of listing SSH, he listed telnet. I approched the guy and explained that telnet just isn't a viable solution at all anymore and asked him if he even knew what SSH was. Of course he claimed he knew exactly what it was, but if he really had any clue about what it is he would definatly have no listed. Any how I did some packet sniffing and showed him EXACTLY why you don't use telnet anymore. Needless to say, our professor will not be getting a raise anytime soon :rotfl:

IronBits
05-09-2004, 01:23 PM
:bang: This client always does this.
It is a fact of running this project. :Pokes:

That's why those of us that do run EON,
*always* run other project clients, and run them at a tad lower priority than EON.
If you can't get work, it sits there, just like Chessbrain in fact, not taking up memory or cpu cycles. :p

You can get EON to run at 'above_normal' on windows without nary an impact on the box over all...

I usually run like this on winders, but not limited to,
2 clients of CB at (normal)
1 EON client at above_normal
1 FAD/DNET/LM/TSC/DF client at (low)
or
if I don't want EON to run, I'll just stop it.
or
switch the priority between the 2ndary and EON clients.
:cheers:
:beep: :drink: :D

Magicman198
05-09-2004, 02:02 PM
Bok, Offa, just snooping around over here under a "false flag" looking for good info on eOn, which is always appreciated. Regards to you both.

Jetlag/Jetwash (US-D)

offamychain
05-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Willy, if Eon has been using that much of the CPU, you've been sending stats somewhere. Eon didn't quit till yesterday I think, cause I had some stats that showed WERE made late yesterday. If you had a secondary project loaded, could this have been the one using the CPU?

Anytime Eon is writing the "RcvIda" errors into the log, it's probaly not using any CPU 'cause it has nothing to do. It want make work up like DPAD or DNET. And it will write a BUNCH of these errors per hour, so if you've got a couple hundred in the log, it don't mean it's been down for 2 days.

You may need to check the way you are registered. This ONE thing is the MAIN reason people have problems with Eon, as far as stats go. I see you in at least 2 different locations in the stats, 1 of which is showing a small amount of work done on the 7th.

Your E-Mail is hidden, so I couldn't look for that. Eon is VERY unforgiving about E-Mails, nicknames, etc. You have to stick with one system or you'll wind up with several accounts...like I have. Until I finally figured out the best way to do it, which I've posted, I was continually having the same type of problems.

I believe I have around 6-8 different accts. because of this, only one of which is the "real" me.

Bok
05-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Magicman198
Bok, Offa, just snooping around over here under a "false flag" looking for good info on eOn, which is always appreciated. Regards to you both.

Jetlag/Jetwash (US-D)

Hi Farrell,

How you doing my friend ?

not much going on with Eon unfortuantely, hopefully I'll get with graeme tomorrow and get it sorted.

Bok :D

IronBits
05-10-2004, 07:27 PM
/me crosses arms, taps feet....

Welll........??????

Server still down eh? :cry:

Any news at all? :Pokes: