PDA

View Full Version : READ THIS!! Firewall/Router SOLVED!!!!

offamychain
05-08-2004, 01:46 AM
Stoled this from PARA.:D :D :D Maybe this is it folks. Keep your fingers crossed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The application is built on the Fida and Mithral distributed computing platforms. The Windows client can run as a screensaver (which doesn't show any information about what it's doing), or as a command-line client (run the client.exe executable in the installed directory). Note that although you have the option to install the client in any directory, the screensaver expects it to be installed in C:\Program Files\UW Chemistry\ Eon (this bug will be fixed soon). The Linux client is command-line only. The application supports users behind proxy servers. Edit the client.cfg file: change active to yes, and add your proxy server hostname and port number.

Note: on Windows, only use notepad to edit client.cfg. wordpad and the DOS edit command strip off important end-of-line characters in the file and client.exe will reset it to its default values. In dtpad you will see an empty rectangle character after each field: this is the end-of-line character and it must not be removed.

gopher_yarrowzoo
05-08-2004, 12:25 PM
okay this maybe stupid but Im running ZA Pro as my firewall & Kerio WinRoute Pro as my Router, I'll try the Active = yes but erm new to this kinda think it normally works fine or it don't and if it don't a kick in the router normally helps...
so the hostname would be the host name of my s/ware router but what port?

Paratima
05-08-2004, 12:45 PM
Err, well, offamychain may have gotten a wee bit overenthused about my discovery. I'm in my office today (weekends in the office sux), so I'm still trying to get it to work through our corporate firewall. Here's the deal so far: (pertains ONLY to Windoze!)

The main problem with using wordpad, which lets you see the file properly formatted, is that if you mod the file and save it, wordpad dutifully comes up (as it should) and says, "We're gonna make some changes to your file's format. Is that OK?"

What it's doing is converting client.cfg, a perfectly fine Unix file with only linefeeds, to a perfectly fine DOS (uh, Windows) file, with lf-cr at the end of each line. The client is not happy with this action.

It's not at all happy about the heading lines [settings] [firewall] and [apps] ending with cr/lf. It will replace with lf.

The very last line must end with just lf. If you end the file with cr/lf cr/lf in place of the original lf lf, then you'll get cr/lf lf.

I haven't yet figured out what causes it to rewrite the whole file, but editing/saving with wordpad will surely do it. You get all the defaults back, clean & fresh. <sigh> :rolleyes:

So: Don't use wordpad. OK to look at it, but don't save with it.

As to the proxy thingy... Haven't got there yet. A preliminary look with snort (http://www.snort.org/) seems to indicate that the client is trying to contact the mother ship and then contacting your specified proxy server. Not what I would call the preferred order of business.

I'll write again. If anyone has anything to chip in with at this point, feel freeta! Any proxy gurus around here? :D

Paratima
05-08-2004, 12:54 PM
It does NOT care for the "userpass" line being removed, and will put it right back in if you take it out.

For no username/password required,

userpass=

seems to be OK.

Paratima
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
OK, once you get past the the client.cfg file, there's the actual proxy handling to deal with.

It looks as if all the parameters are set up correctly, and it gets hooked up with the proxy, but only after it's already sent the request to eon.chem.washington.edu. Which request, btw, got dropped on the floor on account of it didn't cut a deal with the proxy server first! Well, that's what it looks like to me anyway. After a minute or so of twiddling its electronic thumbs, it gets:

HTTP/1.0 408 Request Time-out..Server: Squid/2.2.STABLE4..Mime-Version: 1.0..Date: Sat, 08 May 2004 18:12:45 GMT..Content-Type: text/html..Content-Length: 599 etc, etc, or words to that effect.

Then, it makes the request again and contacts the proxy server again... in that order! :bang:

So it looks to me like a program problem. I'm tapped out. Unless we can identify someone who actually has this running through a proxy server, and can pick their brains for how they made it happen, our only choice is to call for help. Can someone who's on good terms with graeme ask him to take a quick look at it? *cough *bok* cough*

PCZ
05-08-2004, 05:16 PM
If you use notepad to try and edit the file it is presented as a single string of characters, very had to edit.

If you use wordpad you have the correct format and can easily edit the various sections of the cfg file.
However when you save the file EON will take a dislike to it and reset it to defaults !!

The answer is to use wordpad to edit the file, but dont exit/save as normal but use save as, and select unicode as the format.

Bok
05-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Paratima

So it looks to me like a program problem. I'm tapped out. Unless we can identify someone who actually has this running through a proxy server, and can pick their brains for how they made it happen, our only choice is to call for help. Can someone who's on good terms with graeme ask him to take a quick look at it? *cough *bok* cough* [/B]

I'll email him, but wouldn't expect an answer until Monday at the earliest...

As for the editor, install vim (http://www.vim.org) or UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com) , much better!!

Bok

PCZ
05-08-2004, 06:32 PM
Vim :D
You've got to be joking !!

Paratima
05-08-2004, 06:58 PM
OK, PCZ. Whatcha got against VIM, anyway?

Methinks it's time for another thread of "What editor(s) do YOU use?" ;)

PCZ
05-08-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm sure it is a great improvement over vi :jester: